http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/gransforsbrukswildlifehatchet.aspx
125810.jpg

and this
Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/gransforsbruksscandinavianforestaxe.aspx

125820.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have an Eastwing hatchet. I hate that thing. It swings funny due to the weight on the rear of the head. On logs it digs in and sometimes kicks sideways with little controll. It gets dull super fast and was a waste of money. I love my cheap china hatchet. It stays just as sharp as the Eastwing and I'm not afraid to cut roots and dig rocks out of the ground with it. I hit it with an angle grinder to sharpen it and it just plain feels right. I think for an off road tool a cheap wood handle hatchet is best. I keep a file onboard anyway so if I need a fine cutting tool to build somthing out of wood I can make the cheapo sharp enough to do it. I have the practice digging roots and rocks out of the ground with it so when I need to make a replacment tent pole or fab up somthing else out of a tree the chepo feels better in my hand from use anyway.

Yudda

Adventurer
I carry a Strider SMF framelock folding knife....Best of the best !
and my trusty Gerber fisherman multitool.
1258095328-Strider_Gen_I_SMF_4.jpg
gerber.jpeg

in the truck:
Gransfors Bruks SFA
Handmade in Sweden
SFA.jpg

and CS Machete. Normally i dislike CS for several reasons but....this machete was 15$ and its incredible for its size, weight and price.
Machete.jpg

NONE of these pics are mine .... from google.

Last edited:

phxtoad

Adventurer
Always in my pocket since I bartended in college: Victorinox Swiss Army 'Tourist' model. Small and handy, and it can pop a cork. I feel naked without it.

In the Jeep, I have a couple fixed blade knives. One I've had since I was a cub scout. It doesn't hold an edge at all, but it's sentimental. I have the Estwing hatchet, to specifically double as a hammer. There's also a cheap multi-tool and folding knife in my tool bag. Lastly the old wire saw with the two keyrings at each end, also from the cub scout era.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
After an antelope hunting trip last year with my dad we got home got stuff unpacked and I dug into my ammo/hunting gear box only to realize the custom ingraved USA made Buck zipper was no where to be found. Called gramps to see if it was in his truck, Dad for the same. nothin!!! tore apart every thing we took with no luck. Best knife I ever owned

g23.40sw

Observer
On the belt, Gerber legend 800 with a few mods also in the pouch is a county comm mini pry bar. In the front right pocket ESEE Izula with scales (I prefer fixed blades) . If I were carrying a folder it would be a Spyderco Delica (IMO the best version of this knife yet) I have 5 of them. As for a hatchet I have a kershaw brand, not sure of the model. I spend a lot of time on blade forums and mostly on the ESEE sub forum. I am pondering the ESEE 4 or 6 for camping and have 2 ESEE/DPx H.E.S.T's. You can go wrong with ESEE or their warranty. All top notch! Good luck.

Hazzard

Observer
EDC is either:

Mini_CQC-7BWAVE-BTS.jpg

Emerson CQC-7B-BTS Wave Tactical Knife

Or

AM-AS2_full_9.jpg

Al Mar Auto S.E.R.E. Plain Edge, Satin Finish

When Hunting:

KOA158FG.jpg

Knives of Alaska - Magnum Wolverine

In the Truck:

TS-TCS97HM_540.jpg

Cold Steel Heavy Machete

46048-1.jpg

Gerber Sportsmans Wood Saw (this thing cuts very fast)

Right now I just have the cheap Hardware Store Axe and Hatchet, But I am saving up for a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet and Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe.

I also plan on adding one of these to my quiver:

ESEE-4.jpg

Esee-4

If I know I need to do a lot of cutting I pack this:

034-0011-300x224.jpg

Stihl 034 with 20" bar

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I'm in the market for a new survival knife. I went and got another Kabar recently, but have since decided that I would like something a little more oriented towards tool building. I have narrowed my selection to the Becker BK 3 and the Becker BK 9. I am leaning towards the BK 9, but would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience with either of these knives.

Ropeman

Mr Leary, I've found the Beckers to be a little thick in the grind for really fine work needed in trap building and other 'survival' tasks, have you thought about a Fallkniven? They have a wide range and the convex grind is eminently field maintainable. The Swedish army is one that understands the needs of soldiers in survival situations and they issue them.

For the kind of use you seem to have in mind the A2 would seem ideal:

http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/details/21/24/fixed-blades/survival-knives/a2

I fear have far, far too many knives and axes despite having something of a cull recently.

My most carried and best loved EDC is a slipjoint folder by Ray Cover Sr

R0010437.jpg

I supplement that with a fixed blade in the woods usually this by Alan Wood to my design:

Photo-0011.jpg

Or this:

IMG_0353.jpg

Chopping is often taken care of with a Gransfors SFA or a new axe I just got that's a little bigger and more hefty.

axehead.jpg

There is always a Mora of some sort in the kitchen box:

IMG_1303.jpg

And I use this little Hultafors a lot when pottering about the house fixing things. razor sharp and as much blade as you really need for that sort of thing.

R0010162.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94