Edged Tools? What do you use?

barlowrs

Explorer
Hey guys, I know everyone here knows the importance of a good blade while out in the mountains (or for everyday use for most I am sure). I am just curious what you guys use as far as Edged tools. I am always on the lookout for new reviews and new tools. I LOVE blades (not in a psycho way). if you are like me, you probably have MANY of them, but you probably have your favorites that you always take along with you.

So, what do you guys take out with you? (Pics are great hint hint)

I guess I will get the ball rolling with this one:

Daily Carry Knife:
CRKT M16: I love this knife, GREAT daily carry...heavy enough to pry and use as a random tool, but still holds a great edge and is small enough to not get harassed for carrying it.
371162_CRKT_M16_10kz.jpg

Camping:
an old ka-Bar marine knife. I believe it was issued to paratroopers (given to me when I was young. Looks kind of like this, but MUCH older. I am sure there are many better options, but this has sentimental value to me I guess, dad always carried it, and so will I:
KA1217.jpg

Leatherman skeletool and wave (one in truck and one on me):
leatherman_skeletool_1.jpg

Leatherman-Wave-Lg.jpg

Hunting:
Used to pack an old school buck knife (held a GREAT edge!), but dont really hunt since moving to So-Cal :(:
119-590x226.jpg

Machete:
Old military surplus machete that I have no idea what it is, nor can i find a pic of it. I am in the market for a new one, so post up some good ones for me! haha

Ax:
I carry a Gerber hatchet now, but want to get something bigger for the truck one of these days, again, post some good ones for me to review:smiley_drive:
gerber-back-paxe-axe.jpg

housedad

Observer
Um let's see. You have a ka-bar, a gerber hatchet, and a wave. You don't get much more than that.

Gerber axe, a SOG tomahawk could replace your hatchet, and a Cold Steel spear point machete or SOG MC-02 18-Inch SOGfari Machete would round that up real good.

jh504

Explorer
I have that exact ax. My daughter got it for me for my birthday last year.
Haven't used it yet, but sure feels good in the hands...

Thats what I love about them, it just seems like they know how to get the power to the ground. Super durable too. When you buy one of their products you buy it once, then you never need another.

housedad

Observer
I like Estwing. No, I love them. But the axe was too short for me. I wish it had another 5 inches on the handle. Everything else is perfect. I hav their hatchet. The best araound for wood, IMO. The SOG tomahawk is dead useful too.

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
Hope this counts as "carrying a blade"...

Just some food for thought...I have a full size axe in my truck, sort of a left over; but over the past few years the small to mid size axe has been left behind...I found that a good quality small folding pruning saw worked (cut) much better, was much quicker, quieter, weighs less, and had much less chance of injury.

The pruning saw ease of use and piece of mind really applies to use in a tree stand or by kids.

I am glad to see the Leatherman tool mentioned: is always a joy to have when you need it and I've cursed many a time when I failed to bring it along.

djrez4

Adventurer
I have an Estwing hatchet as well - the one with the leather-wrapped handle here. I absolutely love it.

EDC is a CRKT Lake Bandera. It's small enough to be unnoticeable in my pocket, but large enough to get most jobs done. I also keep a Skeletool CF in my bag.

Camping duties have just been delegated to an CRKT Chugach Pro Hunter.

I also have a CRKT M16-13G to scare small children and a CRKT Hammond ABC Aqua for on the water.

I like CRKT. :ylsmoke:

jh504

Explorer
I have an Estwing hatchet as well - the one with the leather-wrapped handle here. I absolutely love it.

I use that hatchet as well every time we go to the woods. I actually cleared a Jeep trail spanning about 50 acres with that hatchet!

southpier

Expedition Leader
Hope this counts as "carrying a blade"...

Just some food for thought...I have a full size axe in my truck, sort of a left over; but over the past few years the small to mid size axe has been left behind...I found that a good quality small folding pruning saw worked (cut) much better, was much quicker, quieter, weighs less, and had much less chance of injury.

The pruning saw ease of use and piece of mind really applies to use in a tree stand or by kids.

I am glad to see the Leatherman tool mentioned: is always a joy to have when you need it and I've cursed many a time when I failed to bring it along.

i have often wondered when i see a rig in "full regalia" if anyone remembered to pack a saw (for all the reasons mentioned above)

CJCA

Adventurer
Machete:
Old military surplus machete that I have no idea what it is, nor can i find a pic of it. I am in the market for a new one, so post up some good ones for me! haha

Same here. I keep handy an old WW2 bring back dated 1904 with a modern sheath. It's homely, but it's stout and feels good in the hand and works superb for most any moderate chopping needs I have the need for.

1904HospitalCorpknifemachete.jpg

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Mora Clipper knife
Cheap, strong, sharp and comfortable. I think it is a snobbery thing because they are so cheap that they are not respected as much as they should.

My Ex-Swiss army Pinzgauer also sports its original axe which although not the sharpest has come in handy a few times.

A folding saw is on the shopping list!

Attachments

• 21ZeVximU7L._SS500_.jpg
    21ZeVximU7L._SS500_.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 42

Riptide

Explorer
Old military surplus machete that I have no idea what it is, nor can i find a pic of it. I am in the market for a new one, so post up some good ones for me!

I bought a Woodsmans Pal a few years ago, and am pleased at how handy it has been camping. It has enough heft for light chopping and clearing. Worth a look. Sharpening the curved hook area can be a challenge; I've been meaning to get their circular stone for a while...

http://www.woodmanspal.com/index.html

For a pruning saw, it's hard to beat a Svensaw. Compact, great quality steel blade. A favorite for trail maintenance.

http://www.svensaw.com/

Knives? Sheesh, I don't know where to start... For EDC, I probably have some sort of Kershaw assisted opener on me. In my packs, I have a fixed Extrema Ratio blade in there somewhere, with another Kershaw folder, like a Junkyard Dog flipper in an outside pocket.

Sort of a knife junkie, as I suspect many are here.

Pat

Albin

Adventurer
Here's my preferences:

Gerber Prodigy, about $50 from LAPolicegear.com:

policestuff_2097_183493188

Gerber LMF II, about $66, same place:

policestuff_2097_183487306

Becker Necker, about $35, same place:

policestuff_2093_41741258

Becker Crewman:

BK10.jpg