Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '09 Suzuki DL650 project bike

Default '09 Suzuki DL650 project bike

Got my Suzuki DL650 on Monday, already have 106mi on it when I pulled into the driveway today.

Not my favorite color, but I felt I could do better with the black on this and paint the orange, as opposed to getting the silver/grey and having to deal with all the chrome.

As she is right now-

First on the list- luggage solution. I've been strapping my pack to the board w/ the pack's straps. I need a bungy system I think.

Second- MO-Tech crashguards + skidplate

Saddle bags one day, taller windshield, etc, etc, etc...
    '05 Nissan Frontier Build Thread

'08 Nissan Xterra Build Thread

'09 Suzuki V Strom DL650 Build Thread

You can read all the stories and watch all the videos you want, but there's no substitute for just getting out there and doing it.

Sounds good! I will be following!

Default Congrats on the new bike!

Just some food for thought: you can do a lot on the Wee with just a simple set of dry bags.

I did 10,000 miles in 10 week with this setup with zero issues:

Nice bike - My son had to sell his last year when he got married - he still misses it! I was very impressed with the capabilities of the 650.

As for bags I just got a set of these for my KTM. The larger size would be perfect for the DL. I like that in seconds you can pull it off the bike to head into a hotel room or set up camp.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

I have Jesse Bags on my BMW but still carry a duffel for in and out on hotels without having to dig through the hard cases. This solves that issue... of course others will arise!
    "... Remember, Wherever you go... there you are..."
    Buckaroo Banzai

'93 Isuzu Trooper SOHC, MAU5C trans, OME 912s w/ 1" poly puck, Sway-away HD Torsion bars, Indy HD tie rods, Ball Joint flip, 265x75 BFGs, Aisin manual hubs, OME NitroCharger shocks, Rocky Road Super Sliders, ARB Bumper, T-max winch, IPF driving lights, rear ARB Air Locker, On-board air, ARB Roof Rack w/ Custom mounts, and misc accessories to make me a wannabe expedition guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalDefender View Post
    Got my Suzuki DL650 on Monday.
    Something about that one - the red maybe. I like it! Ride it out to AZ and we will do a ride.

I second the GL bags. What a great product and company. Wolfmans are another excellent and more traditional looking option.
    Scott Brady
    Instagram - @globaloverland

Overland Journal
    G-Wagen | Defender 110 | Land Cruiser BJ74 | Moto Guzzi V7

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest View Post
    Something about that one - the red maybe. I like it! Ride it out to AZ and we will do a ride.

I second the GL bags. What a great product and company. Wolfmans are another excellent and more traditional looking option.
    pssst.....keep your eye on this webpage....

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...uct_list&c=285
    Heidi - KF7CKI
    ESSAYONS!
    1985 Vanagon GL Diesel Convert

1998 Isuzu Trooper S

Must........Not........Covet........Must......resi st

REX
    2001 Toyota Tacoma eXtracab 1994 Six Pac Flip-Pac
    Old Man Emu suspension ARB bumper 33/10.50/15 Mud Terrain BFGs BudBuilt Skid plate
    Marlin Crawler 4.7-1 tacobox 4.88s member #1455
    1980 Honda CM400T
    1982 Honda GL1100 'Naked' Goldwing
    Go Someplace.....Do Something It's only far away if you never leave!

aw wil -- had no idea you were a GL dealer. just received a set last month for my 990 and the wifes F650 --

I may never go back to hard bags.. that GL is just awesome and fits everything i really need..

Congrats on the new DL650 Coastal Defender - very nice looking - very good choice.
    James - KC2SYG
    ------------
    2005 Jeep LJ 4BT Cummins AEV Cab-Pickup Bed
    1988 Toyota Land Cruiser 62
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2012 KTM 350EXC-R

For your luggage check out Rokstraps.
    '06 Liberty Limited CRD, Franken lifted, OME shocks, BFG 245/75/16, Magnaflow, ORM, ALLJs rear rack, Lightforce, TJM front bumper, Scorpion diesel tuner and Baja tested.
    2003 Dodge 3500 SRW, LB 4x4 Laramie, Banks sixgun tuner, Banks 4" exhaust, Buckstop Baja bumper, leveling kit, Aerotanks 60 gal. fuel tank, Lightforce offroad lights. 315-70-17 BFG
    '04 ST1300
    '06 Yamaha TW 200 POS sold
    1996 DR650 now a 790

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Monkey View Post
    aw wil -- had no idea you were a GL dealer. just received a set last month for my 990 and the wifes F650 --

I may never go back to hard bags.. that GL is just awesome and fits everything i really need..

Congrats on the new DL650 Coastal Defender - very nice looking - very good choice.

No worries James, Sierra just expanded to Adventure Motorcycling...we will have LOTS more for you to purchase shortly.
    Heidi - KF7CKI
    ESSAYONS!
    1985 Vanagon GL Diesel Convert

1998 Isuzu Trooper S

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast