'09 Suzuki DL650 project bike

jkam

nomadic man
One of the best mods I made to mine was replacing the foot pegs with some
from Fastway. Made standing up really nice and comfortable.

01-Right-fastway-02.jpg

3800mi...

Givi rack
Ammo can panniers w/ tie down bolts
walmart seat
SWMotech crashbars (did their job!)
Metzler Karoo Traveler tires
Narcosis Junky 1/8" steel skidplate/bracket
Narcosis Junky 15/16" Lift links
Studebaker spring shifter (broke my stocker off on a log)

dsc0840h.jpg

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Looks beautiful!

It' a real nice example of a well outfitted DL650.

The boxes look great.

Thanks for sharing.

Damned luggage weighs a ton!

So I dumped it and picked up a Giant Loop Great Basin from Sierra Expeditions, (got some quickfists and a Trasharoo too!)

So the Givi Rack weighs about 4lbs, the boxes appx 24lbs each (with j and eye bolts attached)... EMPTY. That is simply too much for the rear end to bear, and is extraordinarily stupid as far as mileage and tire wear goes. So I dumped them for soft luggage.

I haven't weighed the bike, but I know it is not only lighter all loaded up than my last setup was empty, but it also minimizes the overall width of my bike.

My only gripe as far as the GL goes is the center compartment is NOT big enough for my Snugpak 15°F sleeping bag goes.

Now I am looking for a better tank bag setup.

The only real changes since the last update are the "Off Road" pegs (KLR wide rally pegs), RAM mounts for my eTrex and SPOT, and hose clamps for the spare fuel bottle...

Crapola cell pic on an FS road near my house today-
imag0139z.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
I am about to get the Giant Loop rig for my KLR...I think for the same reasons. It seems the best overall mix of mounting location and ease of use...plus no additional racks needed. Seems very well made and thought out. Never heard of any issues with them and almost never come up for sale used...must mean something I think.

My prior motors had lockable hard cases and/or top boxes, but were 1000cc+ road bikes. I really do not want to load up the KLR beyond it's capabilities....but the security of the hard cases does nag at me.

In the end though...I think a single lockable storage case in a must have, and going "soft" makes good sense on the KLR...especially off road.

I mounted a 1450 Pelican case on the rear luggage rack that covers the stock tool kit (has the mounting bolts/knobs on inside of case) and of course the pelican locks up with two padlocks. This is staying full time on the bike.

When I add the Great Loop...I should be set.

I have the GL Fandango tank bag on my KLR. Other than getting in the way when standing on the pegs (does any tank bag not do this?) it works well.

Nicely setup bike, BTW.

I got the Wolfman Rainier a few months ago. Great bag that can hold all my stuff for work and my lunch.

The only thing it does poorly is give me adequate thigh positioning when I stand. Oh well, just something I am having to learn to deal with as a rider.

I got ROX Risers too. They give me infinite angle adjustment on my handlebars, and now I have a proper standing position so I'm not stooping over anymore.

I have a plan for a better cockpit setup for off road... Stay tuned. I'll actually include pics for this one. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles