The Arizona Strip, May 9-15 2009

StaceyE

Observer
What a great report. This area is the main reason for me building an expedition trailer. Do you feel a trailer could be taken everywhere you went?

xpdishn

Adventurer
What a great report. This area is the main reason for me building an expedition trailer. Do you feel a trailer could be taken everywhere you went?

Absolutely. There is a lot of slow going due to unmaintained roads but nothing technical. There's an area on the Kanab Plateau, and it seemed like it went on forever, but of course it was probably only a few miles, where the road weaves through a dense section of pines. We were literally going from full right turn to full left turn without a break in the action. Very slow going.

Good Luck on your travels.

Gary

JohnnyS

Explorer
Fantastic!

Great write up and pics.
I've been wanting to do the same trip for years, definitely happening after reading the write up.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Gary & Paula,

Thanks for the fantastic trip report.

I have planned to travel through that area two times, and both times have been turned away by the weather. It was great to see the photos from your trip. One of these times I will make it through there.

This is a great report. Beautiful photos! I went to this area in Oct. 08. I've been thinking about going back ever since. It's such a big area and a great place to explore different areas each time. I'd like to go back next spring. I also like the remoteness. We encountered no other travellers until we reached Toroweap.

recordalley

Great TR, I was wondering about road conditions in that area & also wanted pics from the different vistas. I am going to do Mesquite to bar 10 ranch in early january & visit the two easy viewpoints on the westside.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Just found this & very enjoyable read. It looks like this would also be full size friendly from the pictures as well. Thanks for the great writeup, its going to be trip reports like this that keep me in touch with the westrn areas now that I'm in VA.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Thanks all for the kudos. We will never forget that trip and still talk about it to this day. The memories are still crystal clear.

4RunnaSpence

Hi,
My name's Spencer, I live in Reno. I'm thinking of doing an expedition type trip around Nevada after graduating High School:wings:. I have a 2001 4Runner, mostly stock. Stock suspension, 28" tires, rack, lights, sliders and other minor mods. I'm wondering if you could suggest a route that would take around a week, moderate difficulty, in Nevada? I'm looking to get some expedition experience!:smiley_drive:
Thanks

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Hi,
My name's Spencer, I live in Reno. I'm thinking of doing an expedition type trip around Nevada after graduating High School:wings:. I have a 2001 4Runner, mostly stock. Stock suspension, 28" tires, rack, lights, sliders and other minor mods. I'm wondering if you could suggest a route that would take around a week, moderate difficulty, in Nevada? I'm looking to get some expedition experience!:smiley_drive:
Thanks

Here are a couple threads with either ideas or names of additional Nevada members with lots of experience that you might want to try contacting.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20811&highlight=trans+nevada
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15641&highlight=trans+nevada

Good luck and have fun.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Just revisited this thread. Fantastic stuff here.
I would love to make this trip but the fuel would be issue number one. No refer on board would be another issue to consider. Even a 3 day trip to Death Valley has me loading the Tacoma for bear. I applaud those of you who make these trips in FJs or other vehicles with lesser storage capacity than a truck. You definitely have me thinking about a reserve fuel tank.

In case I missed it...what maps (paper) did you use for your trip?

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Fantastic trip report, great pics! Don't know how I missed this when it was originally posted.

The logistics for this trip are really a challenge. Not many have the fuel storage capacity to attempt something like this. I envy you for that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94