Camp Cooking Help Needed

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I'm surprised I only saw one mention of dry ice.

Before I got my fridge, which as mentioned is my favorite, I stopped buying ice by freezing 2L bottles of empty soda containers with water. Those acted as my block ice. Then, if it was a trip longer than 2 days, buy a thin 2lb slice of dry ice (but be sure to wrap liberally in newspaper to avoid burning things on it!) which kept things quite cool.

I had a crappy cooler stay cold this way for 4 days - although it wasn't HOT outside and we took care to open in minimally, keep it covered and out of the sun.

barlowrs

Explorer
I'm surprised I only saw one mention of dry ice.

Before I got my fridge, which as mentioned is my favorite, I stopped buying ice by freezing 2L bottles of empty soda containers with water. Those acted as my block ice. Then, if it was a trip longer than 2 days, buy a thin 2lb slice of dry ice (but be sure to wrap liberally in newspaper to avoid burning things on it!) which kept things quite cool.

I had a crappy cooler stay cold this way for 4 days - although it wasn't HOT outside and we took care to open in minimally, keep it covered and out of the sun.

That is exactly what I did on the Mojave trip we took. I froze a bunch of 2L bottles of water. This kept everything in the cooler nice and dry and gave us a nice supply of ice water as some of the bottles started to melt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier