81 E-350 Quigley Build

partsflyin

Adventurer
Ok, i started stripping out the interior parts that I was sure I wanted to replace.
Gone is the monstrocity of a bed set up.
slimpics-177.jpg

Next up was the upper rear cabinet. I actually liked the idea of a cabinet there but the PO's execution left alot to be desired.
slimpics-178.jpg

slimpics-179.jpg

PO took alot of time with the vent install. (I've already fallen in love with the fan-tastic fan vents.....hint hint)
I have a plan for this!
slimpics-181.jpg

Some of the quality wiring that was hiding under the ceiling "panel"
slimpics-182.jpg

I have quickly discovered a required supply for any of the work done so far.
slimpics-180.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
Things have been a little slow the last couple weeks. I went for my VA inspection and all I lacked was front brake pads and front brake hoses. I got those swapped in and now have a current VA inspection!!!:wings::smiley_drive:
I finally got the matching passenger side mirror swapped on.
skidderpics-028.jpg

Also got around to swapping in the vent style windows on the side doors. Not near as much work as I figured it would be. It took me longer to remove the fixed windows than anything else. The mounting holes for the upper piece of the window mount were already there, so it was just a matter of bolting everything in once I got the old fixed window out.
skidderpics-029.jpg

If you look close in the picture you can see where the fixed windows use a much thicker piece of moulding. After swapping , some of the original white paint was revealed but no biggy, its gonna get new paint sometime soon.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
My Dodge conversion van came with that Jackknife type sofa bed. When I converted it into a camper I found sleeping my 5'10" frame only acceptable if I was window to window.

The area in front of and behind the windows was offset and stuffed with insulation. When I removed this, it allowed me to sleep anywhere on the bed, side to side and diagonally with relative comfort.

I expended a lot of effort making the bed itself more comfortable, and more utilitarian with storage underneath, but Joyful was the day I took my sawzall to the sofa bed and sent it out in the recycling bin.

I replaced it with 2 storage boxes built over the wheel wells screwed to the floor, and have a removable steel re enforced hinged bed platform spanning the 43 inch distance. I built some sliding storage boxes underneath that fit to within 3/16 of an inch of the platform. The height of the bed is basically where the body of the van is the widest, but I usually still sleep diagonally.

At the widest point, I have 6 foot 4 inches, side to side window to window.

If I were taller than 6 foot I would have built the bed front to back.

refried

Adventurer
My '79 Ford has the sofa/bed behind the drivers seat and it works pretty well there, It's a little short for me but if I turn the drivers seat a 1/4 turn it adds quite a bit to the length of the bed making it much more comfortable. I also keep a couple sleeping pads to use on top and it's 100% better than trying to sleep without them. Having the sofa on the side gives me lots of empty floor space in the back (4' x6', I only have cabinets on the passenger side) to haul my raft and gear if I'm not using the trailer.
When I was a kid we built one of my fathers vans with the dinette in back and it didn't really work out too well. it was in the back of the van so all the gear ended up piled in the middle of the van and you had to climb past it to get back there. It was also too short to sleep across the van comfortably.
nice van, I was looking for a 4wd but came across a decent '79 and will most likely convert this one

Last edited:

partsflyin

Adventurer
Thanks a ton for all the input guys!! I love this site!!
I had been trying to decide whether or not to redo the flooring that was in the van, and last night i finally decided that I definately should. Turns out that was the was REALLY the best decision. I had a bit of a dissapointing find underneath the 3 yes 3 layers of floor. There has obviously been some water getting in around the side doors/wheelwell area.
slimpics-183.jpg

So far it looks like most of the damage is just the upper sheet metal. The structural stuff all still looks pretty good.
The rear area is pretty dirty but appears to be in very good shape in comparison.
slimpics-185.jpg

slimpics-189.jpg

Also upon removal of more of the side paneling, I found a couple neat items that I will probably reuse.
A neat little remote heater. A small radiator on the back with dual electric fans on the front.
slimpics-186.jpg

And also a squirellcage frsh air induction fan.
slimpics-188.jpg

So as of now the bench/table/bed setup has been pushed back a bit until sheetmetal repair is finished............

FAW3

Adventurer
Very nice van!

I had an old Ford van and since you added the "flip out windows"...just some recollections:

Window screens; Once you try the fantastic fan without the screens...you'll really like this idea...just use plastic type screening and sew velcro around the perimeter with a backing ribbon. Use contact cement to glue the soft side of the velcro to the inner window perimeter. With that fantastic fan purring...it will be nice and cool. When you don't need em, just peel off and roll up.

AC: At times (like Galveston TX or Key West in August), I set up my rear AC unit; bought a very small window AC. Got a spare "flip out window frame" knocked the glass out and installed 1/4 inch marine plywood. Painted all to match van. Backed up with furring strips, I cut out and mounted the AC to this frame. Undo bottom latch, slide the frame out, slide the AC frame in...plug in cord to shore power....nice! Don't need it, switch out the window frame back to the glass panel.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Very nice van!

I had an old Ford van and since you added the "flip out windows"...just some recollections:

Window screens; Once you try the fantastic fan without the screens...you'll really like this idea...just use plastic type screening and sew velcro around the perimeter with a backing ribbon. Use contact cement to glue the soft side of the velcro to the inner window perimeter. With that fantastic fan purring...it will be nice and cool. When you don't need em, just peel off and roll up.

AC: At times (like Galveston TX or Key West in August), I set up my rear AC unit; bought a very small window AC. Got a spare "flip out window frame" knocked the glass out and installed 1/4 inch marine plywood. Painted all to match van. Backed up with furring strips, I cut out and mounted the AC to this frame. Undo bottom latch, slide the frame out, slide the AC frame in...plug in cord to shore power....nice! Don't need it, switch out the window frame back to the glass panel.

Excellent food for thought! You have already got the the wheels turnin in my head....... as if I needed more help with that!:sombrero:

partsflyin

Adventurer
Ok the interior is basically completelt gutted, and I have started with the repair of the floor cancer.
slimpics-196.jpg

slimpics-195.jpg

slimpics-192.jpg

I also made a little progress cleaning up some more of the crazy wiring.
I snapped a couple pics of the auxillary heater box. I think this is gonna be handy.
slimpics-198.jpg

slimpics-199.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
The factory bumper had a bit of a tweak to it, so i pulled the bumper off the parts van to install. And before I got around to swapping it on I stopped by a friends house to shoot the bull and show off the van. As we were chatting i was checking out his old 79 F-150. He a cool "old school" push bar mounted with his factory bumper. Upon closer inspection i saw the F-150 bumper and the van bumper had a very similiar shape.
So the hunt was on for one of these push bars.
Found one right down the road and with a little massaging , got it fitted up. I love the "old school" look, I think it works well with the van.
A before pic.
slimpics-170.jpg

And after.
slimpics-001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior