81 E-350 Quigley Build

partsflyin

Adventurer
Hello all!! Newb to the site here. Long time 4x4 van lover, recently became a second time van owner.
A lot of years ago i bought an 80 something Quadravan withe intent of restoring it. Well it urned out to be more of a project than I was looking for at the time.
Here is a pic of the old girl! I am still sick over selling her!!
100_0136.jpg

Well fast forward alot of years , I am an outdoor lover, and try to spend more and mmore time outdoors, avid canoer-kayaker, have 78 bronco rockcrawler.
I camp out very often and figure what better vehicle to suit my needs than a 4x4 van.
About a month ago I found an 81 E-350 Quigley on C-list and I just had to have it!
Here she is the way I picked her up. 460,C6,NP205. Dana 44 up front, not sure yet on the rear.
slimpics-160.jpg

slimpics-162.jpg

slimpics-163.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
My plans are to get it as reliable as possible for road trips and towing the bronco. I'm not going as extreme as most of the folks here , but I want a reliable , comfortable vehicle that I can spend a few days in when I want to.
right down the street I found a donor club wagon for a few of the parts I was looking for.
Driver door was involved in a bump up so I swapped it out.
slimpics-169.jpg

Also swapped on some new rims i had gotten for a diffrent project that changed direction. I love the wheels, the tires aren't the greatest but they will get me by until I can afford something better.
slimpics-172.jpg

I also like these style mirrors alot better so i plan to swap the passenger side mirror out as well.

partsflyin

Adventurer
The side doors and the rear doors had the fixed windows which would seriously bring the suck for summertime camping. They have got to go!
When i started looking at the doors with intentions of swapping in the opening windows i noticed the left rear was starting to get some rust, so I just swapped the whole door on that side.
slimpics-174.jpg

Disreguard the mold!
slimpics-175.jpg

Stupid fixed windows!
slimpics-173.jpg

I can feel the cool breeze off the river already!
slimpics-176.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
I cant wait to get started on the interior.
First I want to rip out the ghetto rear bed set-up.I have envisioned two 6' benches going along the sides with a small table in the middle that would collapse to make the bed area.
Please lend any advice that you see fit.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
looks like it will be a great build
can't wait to see some of your trips in it

Photog

Explorer
Great project.

Check some of the van/RV builder websites, for ideas on the floor plan. Think about exactly how you want to use the van. e.g.: Do you want to take apart all your bedding, just to sit down and eat? Sportsmobile, Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, etc.

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
The existing bed looks like you would sleep across the fan (head at one wall, and feet at the other. If you are over 5-1/2 feet tall, you may want the bed oriented so you sleep along the length of the van.

partsflyin

Adventurer
The existing bed looks like you would sleep across the fan (head at one wall, and feet at the other. If you are over 5-1/2 feet tall, you may want the bed oriented so you sleep along the length of the van.

Exactly. Whichever direction I go with it, its definately gonna have to change. Not near enough room to sleep sideways.
Previous build must have been done by some "small" people.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Nice find, good luck with the build, I'll be interested in seeing how it comes along. I'm also right in the middle of doing our interior, depending on what gear/how many people your trying to seat/sleep will depend on the best layout. But that's one of the best parts of being a van guy, they truly are the ultimate SUV, they will work for almost anything wanted or needed.
Welcome to the Van Club!!!! Vans Rule!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz