Propane tank....???

HeftySmurf

Observer
Besides local laws that may prevent it... What are everyones thoughts on storing the tank inside vehicle?
Russell

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Besides local laws that may prevent it... What are everyones thoughts on storing the tank inside vehicle?
Russell

Thats where I carry mine, usually. Of course, it's not connected to anything and I don't smoke. It's probably safer there than strapped to the outside.

HeftySmurf

Observer
Thats where I carry mine, usually. Of course, it's not connected to anything and I don't smoke. It's probably safer there than strapped to the outside.

Good... I didn't want to be the only crazy one. Of course they are in the rear, I have 2 pony bottles.:coffeedrink: thanks

Russell

At the welding supply store I use they have photos of cars that had tanks stored in the trunk. The problem is that if the tank leaks, the enclosed trunk will trap the fumes, and if there is an ignition source the explosion will be catastrophic.

So don't ever store fuel tanks in enclosed areas.

Your passenger compartment is a little less worse from an escaped gas containment perspective (you usually have fresh air coming in and could smell the leak if it happened), but do you want to be breathing those fumes? And if you don't have the tank strapped down well enough it will bounce around in an accident with possibly deadly results.

Which all explains why RVs have those tanks strapped to the outside of the vehicle/trailer while everything else is inside ;)

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
At the welding supply store I use they have photos of cars that had tanks stored in the trunk. The problem is that if the tank leaks, the enclosed trunk will trap the fumes, and if there is an ignition source the explosion will be catastrophic.

So don't ever store fuel tanks in enclosed areas.

Your passenger compartment is a little less worse from an escaped gas containment perspective (you usually have fresh air coming in and could smell the leak if it happened), but do you want to be breathing those fumes? And if you don't have the tank strapped down well enough it will bounce around in an accident with possibly deadly results.

Which all explains why RVs have those tanks strapped to the outside of the vehicle/trailer while everything else is inside ;)

My fifth-wheel has them in the storage area, which is open to the interior of the trailer. Most 5th wheels do. Conventional towing trailers put them on the tongue for weight distribution, easy servicing, and to avoid using space elsewhere.

As far as pictures of unusual circumstances, the Harbor Patrol Office in Marina Del Rey, California has a couple of fire extinguishers that exploded and caused boats to sink...does that mean boats shouldn't have fire extinguishers?

gasman

Adventurer
The location of the equipment varies, depending on the type of recreational vehicle involved. There is one safety principle; however, that applies equally to all types of recreational vehicles. Cylinders and their relief valves and regulating equipment must be situated to ensure that any leaks dissipate outdoors. Propane storage/regulating equipment is located outside the vehicle or in a compartment that is gas-tight to the interior of the vehicle and ventilated directly outside.

Cylinders and regulating equipment are located depending on the type of vehicle, as follows:

in travel trailers and tent trailers, on the “A” frame as close to the front of the trailer body as possible;
in motor homes, slide-in and chassis-mounted units, in a recessed compartment accessible only from and ventilated to the outdoors (the compartment must be gas-tight to the interior of the vehicle);
in vans, in a cabinet located inside the vehicle having a properly gasketed (sealed) access door and a 1 ¼ inch vent tube directed down and to the outside.
Cylinders mounted on the roof of a vehicle are neither safe nor acceptable. Those mounted at the back of a vehicle are also unacceptable unless substantial protection to the cylinder is provided in the event of a rear-end collision.

scroll down to safe handling and tranportaion

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...LEXxKN&sig=AHIEtbRgj22vqLKw4_XftYKtHPUPqbzOIQ

oh man i hope that link works.... never transport a propane tank on its side.. EVER !!!!

Last edited:

gasman

Adventurer
oh yeah on a side note did you know that it is illeagle to store more than 3 1lb cylinders in your home or garage.. dont ask me how the retailers get away with storing skids full cuz thats a whole nother regulation.. pretend for a minute one of those little cylinders leaked.. there is enough fuel in one of those little guys to level your house and prolly your neighbours too... just food for thought.... ..

RHINO

Expedition Leader
ehh i dont know, i have emptied the contents of a full 1lb'er into an air matress and lit it off, it wasnt as big as i'd hoped.

gasman

Adventurer
lol ive done lots o dumb stuff like that too .. outdoors .. dont get me started on the potatoe guns and flame throwers i have built...blow that matress indoors and see what happens ... the concussion is way worse .. no where for it to go

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier