Wine Transport - Platyreserve

haven

Expedition Leader
Sort of a 21st century bota, without the squirt top! Keep the top fastened tightly if you're traveling to a higher elevation.

I've used the Platypus water bottles while traveling. They roll up into a small package when empty. They clean out easily and don't hold an odor.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Even though you're probably not supposed to, I just re-use the bags from boxed wine...just pull the spout off with a little brute force and ignorance, rinse, dry, and refill. The one that I'm currently using has lasted about 8 months now with no leaking...also feels good knowing that I'm not A) needing a newly manufactured piece of plastic, and B) that I'm re-using something that would have gone to the landfill sooner. And when you pick it up from the store, it already has wine in it!!

Cheers,
West

kenallwine

Adventurer
Well, since we don't have any boxed wine around. We picked up a 4 pack of these today at REI. Also grabbed a pair of GSI stainless steel wine glasses. I'm not too keen on the plastic ones. I would have most likely broken them.

Roktoys84

Adventurer
Just be aware that some states (like Utah) will charge you with an open container if you have alcohol in a container other than the one it came in. Utah will also charge you for bringing alcohol in from out of state.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
And some states let you have open wine bottles in the trunk of a vehicle. The restaurant/bar lobby helped here. If you buy an expensive bottle at the restaurant and do not finish it now you can take it home legally. Look up wine doggy bag states for this law.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
And some states let you have open wine bottles in the trunk of a vehicle. The restaurant/bar lobby helped here. If you buy an expensive bottle at the restaurant and do not finish it now you can take it home legally. Look up wine doggy bag states for this law.

It seems like if you have it in a cooler or in the trunk, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. That is, if you follow all the traffic rules and don't give any police officers any reason to search your vehicle you should be alright. I don't necessarily condone consciously breaking the law, but if you aren't taking a schwig while you're driving and you are not intoxicated, I personally don't see any problems with carrying a half empty bottle of whine in your car.

OTR

Adventurer
I have been using these for a while now. I think they work great. I tested to see how long they will keep a wine "fresh" and have been happy with 4-5 days at room temp. I wam also very happy with the GSI lexan wine glasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz