Bike Med Kit

I need a med kit on my bike, but I'm not 100% certain what to put in it.

What do you guys use on your bikes for travelling, and what do you use for around-town stuff?

I've got a few duffels sitting here with med supplies in it, and I'm going to put together a pouch for under my seat today.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I load my small bike kit for injuries I might see if I crash i.e. primarily ortho, road rash, etc. and a few small OTC's

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i carry a medium size adventure medical kits kit, i think the medium professional series? it has the blood clotting stuff in it and i added a snake bite suction extractor kit.
i actually carry that in a camelback pack that i have as my bug out bag, it stays with me between the rigs and the moto. its outfitted with general survival type stuff and is barely 1/3rd full leaving plenty of space for me to use it as a regular small pack to bring lunch ect as i see fit.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have a AMK Comprehensive Kit (with IV Starter/suture kit and dental kit, glucose monitor, stethoscope etc. added) that I take on longer trips, loaded into one of the Jesse panniers. For shorter trips, I'll likely have a quart ziploc with the following:

4x4 Pads (5)
4x6 Trauma Pads (2)
3" Elastic Bandage
2" Conforming Gauze
Misc. small bandaids
knuckle bandaids
Triangular Bandage
EMT Shears
Nitrile Gloves L, 3 pair
Ibuprofen
Acetaminophen
Imodium
Pepto-Bismol tabs
Benadryl quick dissolve tabs (Children's)
Hand Sanitizer
Iodine swabs

This, along with other items in my kit, suits most situations pretty well. I'm a big proponent of training...the more you have the better you'll be able to improvise.

-H-

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
knowing what and how to use is real good advise. my kit it outfitted with stuff i know how to use,,, IV starter, glucose moniter ect. is getting into stuff i dont know enough about. i dont want to do more harm than good.

Echoing the other advice, what do you know how to use?
Red Cross basic first aid course every two years. So nothing at all.

I'll post my list when I get it compiled. Taking the opportunity this second to run to the store on my bike while there's a break in the rain.

I was hoping we could start a thread about what each of us carries for a daily stuff, and what we pack for a trip on our bikes. Maybe I could start a new thread and we could sticky it? Keep it in a list format for others to get ideas, etc.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
snip... and i added a snake bite suction extractor kit.

Save weight and toss the snake bite suction kit. We haven't taught that in field medicine in over 10 years... best bet in an envenomation is to apply constricting bands (like when you have blood drawn - not tourniquets!) above and below the bite to limit the venous backflow circulation that will spread the venom. Then get to definitive care ASAP :Wow1:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
hey doc just so its clear, this thing isnt the old school snake bite kit,, its really just a spring loaded syringe with a plastic cup on the end to hold suction on the bite area, and two pieces of surgical latex tube for constricting each side of the bite.
is it a gimmick and i dont need the syringe part?

ThomD

Explorer
hey doc just so its clear, this thing isnt the old school snake bite kit,, its really just a spring loaded syringe with a plastic cup on the end to hold suction on the bite area, and two pieces of surgical latex tube for constricting each side of the bite.
is it a gimmick and i dont need the syringe part?

Current training says "dump it".

One of the interesting parts of this class I just took was a near constant dispelling of myths and past practices.

ThomD

Explorer
Red Cross basic first aid course every two years. So nothing at all.

I'll post my list when I get it compiled. Taking the opportunity this second to run to the store on my bike while there's a break in the rain.

I was hoping we could start a thread about what each of us carries for a daily stuff, and what we pack for a trip on our bikes. Maybe I could start a new thread and we could sticky it? Keep it in a list format for others to get ideas, etc.

I've been thinking about this. In fact I asked a similar question just a couple of months ago. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37312 My riding is all commute hour stuff, so even if I am first on scene, definitive medical care is a cell phone call away.

For that riding, I'm going with a pair of gloves and a flash light. I'm not likely to accomplish more than scene management awaiting professionals.

For in the truck, my setup isn't much different than you would find in something like the Adventure Medical Kits Fundamentals Kit.. I'll skip the thermometer; added a couple more triangle bandages, space blanket and lots of band aids and gloves. I need some more tape, a pen and paper.

I've been thinking about this. In fact I asked a similar question just a couple of months ago. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37312 My riding is all commute hour stuff, so even if I am first on scene, definitive medical care is a cell phone call away.

For that riding, I'm going with a pair of gloves and a flash light. I'm not likely to accomplish more than scene management awaiting professionals.

For in the truck, my setup isn't much different than you would find in something like the Adventure Medical Kits Fundamentals Kit.. I'll skip the thermometer; added a couple more triangle bandages, space blanket and lots of band aids and gloves. I need some more tape, a pen and paper.

I won't stop to help. A cell call is more appropriate for my level of training.

I simply mean a kit for yourself. Everyday stuff and a kit for a longer trip for yourself, and maybe a couple of buddies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles