HMMWV double beadlocks wheels on a Ford Superduty

NORDFORD

How did this end up? We're the old wheels bad? Both sets? I'm assuming finding tires right now is tough, especially the bajas.

Dookey

How did this end up? We're the old wheels bad? Both sets? I'm assuming finding tires right now is tough, especially the bajas.

I didn't look at all the wheels when they got back. We spun the first wheel and it was bad enough that I didn't need to look at the rest. I just built new wheels. I also noticed that the PVC was a much older version that has completely been revised as well. So I built all new PVC inserts that actually center themselves on the wheels so you can't install them off center and cause further issues. All new hardware and everything else needed to make them go are sitting in my shop waiting on tires.

Louie expressed the desire to buy more tires so I offered him a deal on them for putting up with all the BS. I just haven't been able to put my hands on the BFG's that he wants as they aren't being released from the base. So we've been stuck playing the waiting game.

JackE

Too much to read in this whole thread so this may have been mentioned all ready, but Treadwright tires has a 37" 16.5" tire that is the same tread pattern as the Goodyear MTR. They bought the mold from Goodyear. I run this pattern on my Suburban with the 16" rim size with great success. Once in a while there is a tough spot in balancing, but overall it's a great tire from a US based company with good customer service.

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/16-5

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Too much to read in this whole thread so this may have been mentioned all ready, but Treadwright tires has a 37" 16.5" tire that is the same tread pattern as the Goodyear MTR. They bought the mold from Goodyear. I run this pattern on my Suburban with the 16" rim size with great success. Once in a while there is a tough spot in balancing, but overall it's a great tire from a US based company with good customer service.

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/16-5

Good to know, I like these tires a whole lot better than the old version. I just bought a set of these surplus to swap onto my van because it's the last piece of hardware I can replace. I'm chasing vibration/ shimmy issues as well on the HMMV rims. The entire front end was rebuilt with new parts, been balanced and aligned at least 3 different times using lead weights, powder, and the latest stab in the dark, beads. I've had the front end checked by 3 different shops who all gave it a clean bill of health. The one thing I didn't do, which was a bone headed move on my part because I just had them all apart, was take the rim components and have them checked for runout. It's my last gasp I guess before I chuck the whole mess and start over. I'll probably suffer through till I wear this set out because theyre in excellent shape and I just bought them, which if I can't get that wobble figured out probably won't take too long. :(

Bella PSD

Explorer
I was interested in 37x12.50R16.5 Treadwright until I read the fine print.

"Size 37x12.50R16.5 tires are sold for off-road use ONLY and are not covered by this limited warranty" But on the sale page for the 16.5 37 tire it says under highlights "The Wright Warranty: 2 Year Workmanship Warranty " For the price you would think they would offer some kind of limited warranty.
Louie
GUARD DOG 37x12_50R16_5 Mud Terrain .jpg

Sammymac88

I was interested in 37x12.50R16.5 Treadwright until I read the fine print.

"Size 37x12.50R16.5 tires are sold for off-road use ONLY and are not covered by this limited warranty" But on the sale page for the 16.5 37 tire it says under highlights "The Wright Warranty: 2 Year Workmanship Warranty " For the price you would think they would offer some kind of limited warranty.
Louie
View attachment 420625

I hate to be that guy and dig up an old thread but I just gotta know... Did you ever get the TWF wheels and takeoffs balanced properly? Do you run them or did you give up? I've been running them on my 06 Super Duty for a couple of years now. They never have been properly balanced and I've experienced literally everything you have written about in this thread. Chased and replaced front end parts. Ran some 35s on procomp steelies for a while and the difference was absolutely breathtaking for a lack of better terms. I'm getting ready to chuck mine and start with a new set of wheels and tires. New.

Let me know what became of this either here or via message. I'd really like to keep mine but I've compromised ride quality for far too long now and I'm pretty sure my last filling is about to fall out as a result.

I will be that guy, again... it's coming on 9 months since the last input from TW (I assume "dookey" is TW?) and bella. What happened? I am considering a set of these wheels.

Dookey

Ran into a road block with tires. Louie wanted replacement tires and I still can't put my hands on them. The government quit running them into surplus. When he couldn't get tires the wheels didn't make sense.

So I refunded his money so he could go do something else.

Kills me because I wanted this right after such a long go round. :(

So the recentered wheels are no longer being offered?

Are there plans to make a 16" version of the wheels you guys are now building in 17", or a 17X8? Anything else? 17X10 is a bit wide for my truck.

Dookey

So the recentered wheels are no longer being offered?

Are there plans to make a 16" version of the wheels you guys are now building in 17", or a 17X8? Anything else? 17X10 is a bit wide for my truck.

The recentered wheels will always be available. We currently offer them. We just can't put our hands on the tires.

We are bringing in some new tires but they won't have the same cheap price tag as the take offs.

We have no plans to run the 16's in our new process. There isn't a large enough demand to warrant the investment. I can do 17x8's now clear up to 17x14's.

We just expanded the 17" Double Duty line up. I wish you guys could see the tolerances we can hold on those wheels. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles