SAR boots?

BriansFJ

Adventurer
Most folks in my area use mountaineering boots or at least full-grain leather backpacking boots depending on the weather. I've seen too many military and LEO uniform boots fail (even Danners) under the unique conditions we face.

desertrover

Adventurer
Danners

I've had a pair of Danner recon's, which are about the same boot but with an all leather upper, for about 5 years. They have held up reasonably well. On the other hand, I've worn out three pairs of leather/cordura Danners in the last 4 years. They were worn alongside some Bates and Altama boots. The new uniform danners were disappointing, especially the hot weather variant. I've climbed a 5.6 in Danners, but don't expect the uppers to hold up for too long in rocky terrain. Smooth side out leather uppers hold up quite a bit better than rough side out ones, imo. I know a lot of guys swear by the cold weather variant of the USMC Danners. They have a different sole and reinforced construction all around.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I don't know about the Magnums for rocks, but down here near the coast. We got mud and more mud. they don't dissolve after a nice long day in the water, and washing/flushing the crap out is pretty easy. They dry fast with no mildew problems.

rangermatt

Limmers!

Look at limmer boot company, theyre not cheap but they might be the last pair that you ever buy, completely rebuildable and durable. Ive been thrashing mine on trail crews, SAR missions and backcountry patrol for about ten years or so and they have never let me down.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
One pair of boots is pretty tough to use here in N. Arizona, as we have alpine conditions as well as desert missions. I have several pairs, depending upon the season and terrain.

Heavy semi-plastic Saloman mountain boots for winter, Asolo canvas/leather/gore-tex boots for mid-season work and a set of 5.11 Atac boots for summers/desert wear.

-H-

KE7EOV

I'm not involved in SAR yet, but I am a climbing instructor and an avid backpacker, and I love my Danners for rough terrain, technical mountaineering exluded (I've got Asolos for that).

I'm on my 4th pair of Danners in about 6 years, and they're about to be replaced with another pair. I've now gone through a pair of Arcadias (full leather), Ft. Lewis' (also full leather), Marine Hot Weathers and Desert Arcadias (both rough out leather and nylon). The last two were not designed for the wetness of the PNW, but they faired well enough.

Unfortunately for me I'm hard on all boots due to the shape of my heel. I'm used to replacing my boots more frequently than others due to the heel cup wearing out and the plastic section causing me blisters, but it usually takes about a year of daily wear for that issue to arise and it's almost a non-issue to me at this point.

If you want a boot for scrambling you obviously need a good combination of durability, light weight, grip and ankle support, and most of the danner military boots will provide that. Try to steer clear of the desert tread patterns as they're best suited for sand and dirt and don't provide enough grip on slick rocks, but the other boots will do just fine. My leather Arcadias did well in the wet stuff until they wore out, my only issue with them being their relatively heavy weight, which yours address with nylon uppers.

I'm looking into getting a pair of their new Combat Hikers, which are a lot more rugged than the boots I've had in the past, and I'm excited to see how they do.

43513X

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
Im have the Danner Pronghorn GTX and I love the boots. I am not too hard on these though, just camping and that sort of thing. I've been using 5.11s at work and I have to replace them every year. I am going to try some Bates this time. I am also interested in knowing how well the Danner Desert TFX holds up.

Payback

Imperial Pilot
Im have the Danner Pronghorn GTX and I love the boots. I am not too hard on these though, just camping and that sort of thing. I've been using 5.11s at work and I have to replace them every year. I am going to try some Bates this time. I am also interested in knowing how well the Danner Desert TFX holds up.

Not sure exactly which type of Bates you're planning on getting, but I had a pair of lightweight USMC jungles and they fell apart after 6 weeks of solid use. Maybe the ones you're looking at are tougher than the ones I bought, but I wasn't impressed at all.

jh504

Explorer
I ordered the GX-8. I am limited at work by our budget. Im sure you know the mentality of local government. They would rather buy me cheaper boots every year rather than buy me nice boots every 5 years. They will always be near sighted.
I have been using the 5.11 ATAC 8" for about 3 years now and have gone through 3 pairs. I actually like the ATAC and it serves its purpose. I figured I would give Bates a shot at it since they are the only other ones in my price range. They should be here in a couple days.

These are the Pronghorn GTX boots I wear while camping:

dannerGTX.jpg

If the Striker II GTX is anything like the Pronghorn I would recommend it:

StrikerIIgtx.jpg

I just ordered these Bates GX-8s for work:

Bates.jpg

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Danner Desert TFX

playing in the mud

38hrs and still dry on the inside at the end ! got to love that goretex

bogotaOFFRoad320.jpg

Given the choice on that trip however and I'd have prefered some hunter wellies !

Really though I find boots need changing for conditions -hot -cold-wet-desert climbing -walking

I have an embarrassing quantity of diferent boots

tperkins

Observer
I second the Danner Acadias (Leather/Cordura), I've had my newest pair for about two weeks and totally love them. I had some Bates boots, and they were light and breathable, but wore out fairly quick. Lasted probably, 8 months of near daily wear, with have of those in hard conditions.

Pat Caulfield

Now thats mud. I also use gaiters 99% of the time to keep stuff out of my boots, e.g. dirt, rocks, snow, water (quick stream crossings) and other stuff from sticking me in the legs when going through brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior