Bigfoot Truck Camper Review of Sorts

deminimis

Explorer
We just spent two weeks traveling throughout Baja with our truck camper. It performed flawlessly and suffered no ill effects from hitting unmarked topes at 60MPH or pot holes (so of which extend the width of the road) at the same speed, vagos or off-road (well, technically its a road, but not a road in a real sense). So, here it is:

We have a new 2008 carry-over truck camper (purchased in January 2010). When I arrived to pick up the camper (it was several states away), I was floored by the hugeness of the rig. My first thought was "oh, oh, what have I done??"

Quick history. As you may know, Bigfoot closed it doors due to the credit crunch. It was sold on the block to some carpet baggers and then resold to the former operations manager. Bigfoot is now back and running.

Okay, our Bifgoot is big and heavy. Its plusher than we needed (dry bath, for example). Its loaded with goodies like a 6 cf fridge, ac, propane powered Kohler generator, 56 fresh water tank, three-burner range, oven and microwave (who needs an oven -We used it to store cereal boxes and bread), two-sided sink, stereo, LED TV and a DVD player (yes, those were installed by me), toilet, sink, queen bed and tons of storage, etc., etc., etc. Weighs 3,000# as equipped. Add another 500# when you fill that huge water tank all the way.

Again, this is way more truck camper than we were looking for, but things being as they were, we would have been fools not to snatch it up.

So, the review: Near bombproof. Handled the road south of Puertocitos all the way out to Chapala, the horrible, horrible roads out to Ascencion, beaches, a massive sand storm, etc. Very comfortable: The factory matress is an innerspring queen (short queen). It was too firm for a dirt bike rider, so we added 1.5" of memory foam on top of that. Seriously, I haven't slept so well during this trip since I was a kid. We were sleeping 8-10 hours a night straight (not always beer-induced either).

Downside: Its big and heavy. Makes it spacious, comfortable and replete with tons of storage, but its a lot to lug around. Wind resistance is a big factor (approx 12.5 mpg at 60 mph on ULSD and down to 10 MPG at 70 mph). Much of this poor truck mileage is due to newer Chev D-Maxs get crap mileage if the DPF and EGR are left in place, which ours is. However, the noticeable drop in mileage suggests just how big the wind resistance issue is. Width, for us, was no big deal as we have a dually. Our rear fenders are wider than the camper.

Well, rambling a bit now. Quickly: Bombproof construction, luxurious by truck camper standards, but comes at a price in the form of weight and size. Although not touted as a off-road camper, its very capable of doing it so long as you have the room (and the truck that can handle it).
4476381299_9a92d90d32_o.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for the report - really helpful as I am considering a similar setup (albeit smaller) for the next journey.

deminimis

Explorer
I would think the 1500 Series might be a good size for many (ours is a 2500). I saw one 1500 Series in Baja and it just makes more sense. In fact, of all the truck campers we saw in Baja, we saw more Bigfoot campers than any other make. More of a testament to the number of BCers that travel to Baja than anything else (Bigfoot is made in BC). But it was good to see so many make the trek.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Good to hear about another Bigfoot owner enjoying their rig!

We have a 1999 Bigfoot 2500 10.6 that we carry on a 1999 F350 4x4 with the 7.3l Powerstroke. It's been a great rig for us for the past 11 years. As the OP points out it is very comfortable, especially for two. We really enjoy it for off-season camping when the temps are low and it's dark early - very nice to have a place to be warm and relax. Ours is equipped with double pane windows, which makes it ideal for camping in cold weather.

It is not an off-road camper, but we have taken it down some dirt roads to get to some remote camping spots. Take it slow, understand the capabilities of the rig, and remember you are driving a vehicle that weighs over 10k pounds. Upgraded shocks and Firestone airbags have helped with stability on our single rear wheel truck.

Ours is equipped with electric jacks, and we often drop the camper and use it as a base camp freeing up the truck for local explorations, getting to trailheads, and so on.

It's a different head than going out in the FJ, but we're lucky enough to be able to enjoy a variety of modes of adventuring. :sombrero:

This pic was taken during our 2007 Thanksgiving week trip after an early winter storm. We were camped at Natural Bridges NM.

533129278_xHLRr-M.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You say smaller, what is on your mind, what type of a truck and what type of a camper?
Thanx, Tomas

I am thinking a Dodge 2500 quadcab short bed single axle 4x4 and a smaller camper, such as the Bigfoot 1500. Although I just had a new requirement this morning, my sister wants to use it too and she has 2 kids....so I need to find something that can sleep 4.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Not too sure about the 1500, but the 2500 would be tight for 4. The dinette converts to a bed, but not a very large one. A couple young kids could sleep there, but they would outgrow that before long.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Very nice rigs. The vehicles are the 2500s and a heavy truck. May I ask what might be a similar camper for a 99 F-150, V8, ext, cab, 71K miles withe a towing package and larger factor gas tank? Are these too big...sounds like it?

deminimis

Explorer
Actually, my truck is a 3500, with substantial suspension mods to make it all work right. For a smaller, perhaps more practical camper, Bigfoot has a 1500 series of campers. Lower profile and you don't really give up a lot with the smaller size, other than weight.

Sidewinds: We live in the Columbia River Gorge. Yup, the windsurfing capital of the world. With our setup, side winds are not a big deal. Side winds were once a big deal when in Baja. The winds were so brutal, our fully loaded (including 56 gal water tank) camper actually shifted in the bed of the truck (due to wind and lightening the camper from the truck bed when hitting some of those pot holes, etc. on Mex1). Since that time, I switched my in-bed set up using a Gm bed mat and a thick stall/ horse trailer mat on top of that. The stall mats allow the camper to imprint into the mat a bit. This locks the camper in place and keeps it from sliding at all. Prior to this, we were using some hard rubber ribs provided by Bigfoot for the new body style trucks to raise the camper's seating position high enough to avoid contact with some body parts on the new style trucks. Anyway, that's my pitch for horse stall mats in the bed of your truck. Relatively cheap from any feed/farm store. Downside is they get hot in direct sun (I don't remove them) and will give off something of a tar-like smell when that happens. No biggie.

Okay, this is now a long-term review; Since posting this a year ago, we had a friend from Switzerland stay with us for about three months. You guessed it, we made the Bigfoot his home for that visit (off-truck). Worked great as a guest house. We've used it on numerous camping trips (MX trips or boating trips). Has not failed us in the heat or the cold. If I were to do it all again, I'd get the Bigfoot.

4682908921_1590edd47e_b.jpg

2010-07-18%2012.49.32.jpg

IMG_20110318_180031.jpg

IMG_20110318_181222.jpg

Last edited:

805gregg

Adventurer
I like the newer Big Foot campers, I like the new Lances campers but the uber cost is a big drawback. I bought a perfect condition, Lance 9.5' for $5000, it does all the same things and leaves me $25,000 for Diesel, it lacks a generator, but a portable is cheap.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Dually's the safe way to go with a large hardside camper. We encountered some very stiff sidewinds south of Vegas on I-15 a few yrs. ago. The dually's were unfazed. Conversely,the srw trucks were condemned to the right lane and 50 mph max. and it was still a white knuckle affair.

I've got a Carli/Thuren suspension upgrade and 3900# load rated tires and could still feel the popup on mine.

A dually will hang in there in an emergency collision avoidance manuever on the freeway,but the srw will roll.

Those Bigfoot's are the way to go in a hardside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online