"The Sude" - Truck bed utility...

TX_TLC

"The Stude" - Truck bed utility...

I've been searching for a nice medium sized utility trailer for projects, and camping to pull behind my 80 series LC. I love the military one's but really wanted something a tad larger to fit full sheets of plywood/drywall when needed. I've been watching CL for pick up bed trailers, but know they have their limitations and set backs with the axle placement and such. I need a pick up but love my 80...so here is what I stumbled upon this last week.

It is a 19__ something Studebaker pickup truck bed mounted to a home built frame. Trailer axle already installed! A little rough around the edges but the price was right and I see her potential.

I have already replaced the coupler and bought new lights and wire harness. First order of business after that is the springs. It has long leaf springs and a helper coil on top of the leaf. Only problem is one of the coil springs is missing. These springs are SUPER soft even the side with the coil. I think it would be best to cut them off and weld up some new springs all together? Thoughts? Opinions? I have no metal fab skills (I work alot with wood - not so helpful here). Second will be fenders. Looks like a blow out messed one of these up pretty good. Will probably settle for some pre fabed trailer fenders and bolt them up.

Then will be ascetics. Clean her up and address the surface rust on the bed floor. Bed liner and paint!

Open for any and all suggestions....

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 24
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

TX_TLC

Ok here are some shots of the under belly. Basically the frame is a 80" x 48" pipe rectangle with the long side being bent for the A frame tongue support.

I know I need to remove the "tabs" that are welded to the bed and to the frame and come up with a better way to attached the bed to the frame. All the cross members from the truck bed are still attached to the bed. So would just a couple more cross members for the frame be sufficient?

The springs are welded to the frame and not the box, but as you can see its missing a coil spring so I am planning on cutting both springs off and replacing with new. Should I pick up some 3500# rated, 2" wide trailer leaf springs? Or off a junk yard vehicle?

So here is where I need some advise...

Attachments

• 3photo 3.jpg
    3photo 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2photo 2.jpg
    2photo 2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1photo.jpg
    1photo.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 15

TX_TLC

If funds were limitless I would consider scrapping the whole frame and having a new one built but they aren't so I would like to work with what I have and beef it up a bit and get a new suspension...

And a couple more...

Attachments

• 4photo 4.jpg
    4photo 4.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5photo 5.jpg
    5photo 5.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member