Martinez canyon 11/25, 26, or 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Through a series of blunders, I have ended up with another weekend off (2 in the same month.....serious bad mojo must be heading my way)...so I am going to make the best of the situation by seeking out some dirt and rocks to play on.

I'm looking for parties interested in running Martinez Canyon loop, via Box canyon. I have not been over the trail in a couple of seasons, and I know it has changed significantly since I was last through there. It used to be a solid 3.0 - 3.5. Could be better, could be worse now. I will not try to hide my intentions....I am going to play on the rocks.....but there are always easier lines for those who prefer them. I would strongly recommend sliders and at least one locker (the last time I was up there, a stock tacoma TRD with a set of sliders did great on the trail).

Not really picky about what day either......so if anyone is interested in this day trip, post up and let me know what day(s) work for you.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey GT sounds like a great day planned.
Keep in mind that the last section of the trail about the last mile or half mile leading up to the cabins has been impassable for the most part. Last report I heard is from a group of Land Rover D90s and Hummer H1s. They needed to stack rocks in order to complete the trail and the climb back out was a doosey! The last time I was back there we only went so far and then turned around well before I ever saw the rough trail leading up to the cabins.

Maybe someone else has an update. The floodwaters changed a lot of the trail.

Once you decide on a day I may go along, not sure on the schedule.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The cabins are just the start of the trail.....the actual loop heads up past the mill, up the canyon to the upper mine shafts, peaking out at one of the most scenic areas I know of in SoAZ, before coming down "the luge" bypass (which used to be *REALLY* steep, but wasn't too bad the last time I was up there).

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The cabins are by far the most popular destination on that trail. I'd say a good 75% of people stop at the cabins and camp there, or turn around there and go somewhere else. It used to be a good campsite/picnic area (until the rednecks destroyed the cabins). The trail beyond the cabins gets much more technical than the trail up to the cabins. Of course, it also gets much more scenic too.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
The cabins are by far the most popular destination on that trail. I'd say a good 75% of people stop at the cabins and camp there, or turn around there and go somewhere else. It used to be a good campsite/picnic area (until the rednecks destroyed the cabins). The trail beyond the cabins gets much more technical than the trail up to the cabins. Of course, it also gets much more scenic too.

I just can't comprehend why people have to damage the cabins, they are so cool. :(

I would go, but I need to see my family, besides, I'd burn up the rest of my clutch on the trail above the cabins and I'd have to listen to you harrass me! :p

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
mcvickoffroad said:
Hey GT sounds like a great day planned.
Keep in mind that the last section of the trail about the last mile or half mile leading up to the cabins has been impassable for the most part. Last report I heard is from a group of Land Rover D90s and Hummer H1s. They needed to stack rocks in order to complete the trail and the climb back out was a doosey! The last time I was back there we only went so far and then turned around well before I ever saw the rough trail leading up to the cabins.

Maybe someone else has an update. The floodwaters changed a lot of the trail.

Once you decide on a day I may go along, not sure on the schedule.

My buddy Leo and his H1 friends were recently in there FOR HOURS! They said it was so bad and the switchbacks we dangerous that Leo cancelled the Land Rover club trip. Normally the Discos fly through there.

So, it definately sounds like a Brian trip, but not alone. Can't wait to here a trail update!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I am up for ANY trip at this point......if somebody could just help me get my Overdrive WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! UG! :gunt:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I could possibly go on sunday. I am Durabak-ing the sides of my LC on friday, I hope to be done friday. I have an electrician coming to work on my house saturday.
I have taken the rode to the cabins and drove most of the way to the mill with Scott once. I haven't taken this loop you are talkin about.
If I go I would have Zoe and my LC is unlocked and still no sliders. If it gets worse than the rode from the cabins to the mill, I might not be a good companion. Let me know what you think. I may not check back much in the next couple days so you can call me at 207-2294

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The last time I was up there (year and a half ago or so....when Scott broke his front axle....and tried to catch his jeep on fire), the worst section (highest possibility of body/drivetrain damage) was the section in front of the mill. I would be nervous taking a full size rig like a 'cruiser through there with no sheet metal protection. After hearing John's description, the switchbacks could be interesting too.......

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Let me know what you think about sunday. I got most of my lining done today and I will finish it in the a.m. When I was there, I stopped under the overhanging cliffs just before the mill. We took a stock 60 series into that point and we all stopped there.
Is anybody else going?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
So far there is only 2 1/2 of us going. Brett is coming over from Tempe in his D-cab, Chuck (Urisade or how ever the heck you spell that) is meeting us up there to pick up some stuff from me and is going to run Box Canyon, then head back to New Mexico. John (shottscruiser) may come along, but he is scared....(go ahead and prove me wrong John! :insert evil smilie here: ).

I may have a empty seat if someone wants to ride along, but won't know for sure until tomorrow night.

Oh, departure time is 9:00am at the price road turn off on the north side of Florence. As usual, I am posting the DEAPARTURE time.....not the meeting time. Show up whenever you want, but I'll be aired down, disconnected and heading down the trail at 9:00am.

For those who want to get out for a shorter, easier run, the drive up Box canyon to the Cabins is a good 1/2 day run. Stock high clearance vehicles should be fine (unless something major changed since last spring). This is the first part of the trail we are running, so anyone should feel free to join us for just this section if it fits your schedule or trail preferences better (as I already mentioned, Chuck is only joining us for this leg).

Last edited:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Are you talkin sunday? If so let me know where and when to meet and what channel do we wanna run. I'll be around most of the day tomorrow. and as soon as I quit messing around here my phone line will be clear.
YES, I USE DIAL UP!! :hehe:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yes, this is a Sunday run. I'll be leaving Tucson at 7:00am. CB channel 4, VHF is 146.460. My path through Tucson will be 19 north, 10 west, miracle mile east, Oracle north to Oracle Junction, then 89 north to Florence.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Sounds good. I haven't wheeled with John since the last time we went in there. I'll be heading west thru Tucson to Oracle road and up to Florence from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior