How much water?

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I use 2 gerry cans on the back to carry my water plus whatever I have in the fridge. I am looking to add an on board water tank to be used in combination with the AT external shower faucet and water pump. I think the tank would be about 8 gallons or so. does anyone have experience with how fast this type system would discharge water? I'm worried i will run thru the 8 gallons way to quickly. I wouldn't really be looking to shower with it. more for cleaning up, doing dishes etc.

J

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Both constantly changing.

Sometimes solo, sometimes wife +daughter and two dogs.

Climate: Anywhere from Mexico to Canada. Spring, summer and fall. No harsh winter camping

paulj

Expedition Leader
I plan for a quart and half of drinking and cooking water per person per day.

Dishwashing and personal hygiene are extra.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As a benchmark for the shower usage, check out the recent review of the Coleman hot water system:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41236
It connects to a 5gallon collapsible bag.

Similar volume of water on various other show systems. Seems like if you're careful about turning off water while soaping up, etc., that you can probably get a couple of showers out of 5 gallons, which means an 8 gallon would probably be enough for one shower for each family member, or no showers but plenty of clean dishes, etc.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
With our Hot Water On Demand unit, we were using over 5 gallons per day, no showers. Just drinking, cooking, and dishes 3 times per day. It's not a huge deal where I am, water is everywhere, can get it from lakes, rivers, etc. If I went in the desert, I don't know how I'd do it.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I plan for a quart and half of drinking and cooking water per person per day.

Dishwashing and personal hygiene are extra.

Really, just 48oz of water per person for hydrating and cooking?

I consume at least 2 quarts of water per day just for hydrating. Now, if the weather is hot, I think 1 gallon, as a minimum for hydration, is a safer bet.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Really, just 48oz of water per person for hydrating and cooking?

I consume at least 2 quarts of water per day just for hydrating. Now, if the weather is hot, I think 1 gallon, as a minimum for hydration, is a safer bet.

I always try to plan for 2 gallons per person per day out there. In that case, you have a little extra in case of radiator problems or you are out there a little longer than expected. My plans include approximately one dog per person... so maybe a gallon and a half if no dogs are present.

There are a lot of things you can do without in a pinch. Water is not one of them.

762X39

Explorer
The rule of thumb up here is 22 litres of water per person per day for all requirements (hydration, cooking and cleaning up - personal as well as dishes).This seems to work well for my brother (forestry scientist and volunteer sartech) and they use that figure for logistical purposes when planning. It's good enough for me and seems to work out for my trips into the bush where resupply isn't convenient and I don't want to filter everything through my Katadyn.:coffee:

mnfeo2

Adventurer
Out here in the mojave desert I plan on 5-6 gallons a day for me, girlfriend and two dogs, not counting showers.

DurangoSteve

Adventurer
On silty desert river trips where filtering isn't really possible we plan on one gallon per person per day. That's worked well. I have used the same standard for desert car camping in the spring and fall. This past weekend, my wife and I camped in the SE Utah desert in our new/used truck pop-up camper. Friday night, Saturday and a half day on Sunday. We drained the camper's 11 gallon water tank. We weren't being terribly wasteful with the dishwashing, but when water's being delivered by an electric pump to your sink, one isn't as conscious of usage as when one is pouring water out of a jerry can!

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
when water's being delivered by an electric pump to your sink, one isn't as conscious of usage as when one is pouring water out of a jerry can!

That's what I am worried about and trying to get a better feel for.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier