Suzuki SX4

brettf

Adventurer
mauricio_28 said:
The gf is in the market for a car so we dropped by the Suzuki dealer yesterday and saw an SX-4. Nice little car, BUT:
* no 4WD
* no diff locks of any kind
* insufficient ground clearance
* petrol/gas engine with typical torque peak and rpm.

I wonder how far you'd get on a rocky incline. The stock engine puts out 100HP and 143Nm. There was a crowd and cameras outside the dealership. They were covering a the release of a turbo kit which, according to one of the salesemen, increased HP to 150.

A Toyota Rush (the poor Asian cousin of the Rav4) would be a better starting point for a (somewhat) capable cross-over.

I wonder how different this is than the North American version. It is offered here with a 2 liter na four cylinder creating something like 143hp and 136ft/lbs or something like that and it can be purchased with all wheel drive... and a center diff "lock"...

And as we all know, it's probably pretty underpowered and the "lock" isn't a lock as we know it... As I understand it, it's a button or switch that allows the driver to select one of three modes:
1. front wheel drive
2. "all wheel" drive
3. "four wheel" drive...

How all wheel and four wheel drive modes differ according to Suzuki, I haven't a clue.

My gf is in the market for a new car and this is one that's on the list. Probably the most ugly of all the cars under consideration, but that's low in terms of priority. Allthough the WRC versions linked above are pretty sweet.

Funny how this car is marketed at a number of niches at least in the US market. It's the rally car overseas, it's a "crossover", "SUV" type car (in the US market), it's compared against the Impreza (in the US market), and it also is compared against the Versa and Fits of the US market...

And because someone mentioned a turbo kit, I went searching for kicks and found this:
220hp at the wheels... wow. $5K or so...

EDIT/UPDATE
So tonight I found out that the "all wheel drive" system is a lot like the Honda and some other vehicles where it is a 2WD (front wheel drive) system that upon detecting wheel spin or "slippage" of some sort, switches to all wheel drive and has a 70/30 bias front to rear.

So you can select full time FWD, an AUTO mode which is FWD except for when there is wheel slippage, and 4WD, which "locks" the car into an all wheel drive mode with a 50/50 power distribution that remains on as long as the vehicle stays UNDER 25 MPH. Upon crossing this threshold, it switches back into the AUTO mode...

So, even less versatile than I thought. But seems like a good car for what it is.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The Suzuki SX4 continues to be the least expensive AWD vehicle sold in USA. The SX4 with 6 speed manual and selectable AWD costs less than $18k, and Suzuki is offering $1000 cash back during May. The EPA rates the manual trans version of the SX4 to return 22 mpg city, 30 highway.

The Suzuki web site says the full AWD, with equal torque split between axles, works up to 35 mph. At that speed, the trans switches to front wheel drive, with power sent to the rear if the front wheels slip.

The SX4 has been sold here for 4 years, so the AWD models are starting to appear on the used car market. The SX4 has a 7 year, 100,000 mile, zero deductible warranty on poweretrain components that is transferrable to the next owner, so there's reduced risk of financial loss if your used Suzuki has a mechanical problem.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The SX4 is incredibly capable off-road when set up properly. Sure, in stock configuration it only has similar ground clearance to a Subaru and has cruddy little tires, but with a $300 lift kit and some proper tires, it'll go anywhere an SUV can go while still getting up to 30mpg. Its biggest limiting factor in off-road ability (once equipped with decent tires and ground clearance) is its lack of low-range gears, and its open diffs. The higher-end models with ESP do a decent job of mimicking the performance of limited-slip differentials by modulating the brakes, but it's still no substitute for a proper pair of air lockers. As-is, it'll go anywhere I'd ever want to take it; I have a hardcore rockcrawler to take me on harder trails.

Here are a few pics of mine on past adventures:

P1010527.jpg

P1020350_resize.jpg

P1010573.jpg

P1000849.jpg

P1010530.jpg

I also have a 2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 and I much prefer the SX4. Its off-road capability is much better, in large part due to its superior approach, departure, and breakover angles, its tidier dimensions, and its lower gearing. I'm 6'3" tall 250lbs and find the front seating to be much roomier and comfortable in the SX4.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
So tonight I found out that the "all wheel drive" system is a lot like the Honda and some other vehicles where it is a 2WD (front wheel drive) system that upon detecting wheel spin or "slippage" of some sort, switches to all wheel drive and has a 70/30 bias front to rear.

So you can select full time FWD, an AUTO mode which is FWD except for when there is wheel slippage, and 4WD, which "locks" the car into an all wheel drive mode with a 50/50 power distribution that remains on as long as the vehicle stays UNDER 25 MPH. Upon crossing this threshold, it switches back into the AUTO mode...

FWD mode is just that: FWD.
AWD AUTO mode is similar to Subaru's auto-trans AWD system, Volvo's, Audi's, and many others: FWD-biased until rear-wheel slip is detected, at which time the AWD computer engages the center diff coupler to send more power rearward.
AWD LOCK mode puts the center diff coupler into max-lockup mode to apportion as much torque rearward as possible. It will maintain this LOCK mode until the car passes 36mph, at which time it reverts to the AUTO mode. The LOCK mode is not a TRUE lock, but you can think of it as a 3/4-engaged clutch which can send lots of power rearward, while still allowing a limited amount of differentiation in speed between the front and rear axles. It's not optimal for rockcrawling, but it works great in snow, sand, dirt, and other low-traction surfaces. Suzuki even put together a video demonstrating the differing performance of these three modes:

Coming from the rockcrawling world where diff locks and big knobby tires are mandatory, even I am impressed with the SX4's AWD capability. You can see how much power the AWD system is able to transfer rearward in this video:

Keep in mind that in this video, I was driving in AWD LOCK mode with the ESP system disengaged. This meant that I did not have the benefit of faux-limited-slip diffs (brake-based system) but it also meant I could throw the car into drifts and spins without stability-control intervention. I would of course prefer mechanical limited-slips or actual diff locks, but in all honesty this system is perfect for 99% of anything I would ever want to do with a non-rockcrawling AWD car. Heck, even in mild rockcrawling, the ESP faux-limited-slip differentials work well. This was AWD LOCK mode with ESP engaged:

So, even less versatile than I thought. But seems like a good car for what it is.

Quite to the contrary, I find its AWD system to be among the most versatile! I just wish it had a low-range gearbox and actual air lockers in all 3 diffs. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
FYI, I've got a 2010 SX4 AWD, and had a 2009, too. Great vehicle. I've run my SX4 on the beach a few times, and the LOCK mode works very well. I was able to get out of the way of a sneaker wave very quickly thanks to the traction control being off and being in four-wheel LOCK mode!

Peronsonally, I highly recommend the SX4 as a compact overlander.

- Andy

haven

Expedition Leader
RubiconGeoff,

Thanks for sharing your Youtube movies! Which lift kit do you recommend?

Just to confirm, you're able to get 30mpg highway with the lift and some AT tires? Pretty cool!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I have the Rocky Road Outfitters lift kit. It's a simple strut & spring spacer kit with rear shock extension brackets. I upgraded the too-soft OEM rear shocks, but other than that it was a bolt-it-on-and-go affair, with a simple alignment afterward. It allowed me to go up 2 inches in tire diameter. I gained an actual 3.25 inches of ground clearance over the stock height, which obviously made a huge difference in off-road ability. The aggressive General Grabber AT2 tires (215/70-R16) are a night-and-day difference over the junky OEM Bridgestones.

Fuel economy obviously varies quite a bit with driving style, but 30mpg highway is pretty easy to achieve. My best full-tank MPG was 33.4mg, but I typically get around 28 on the highway driving in the 65-70mph range.

SUK SX4

I just got me a 2011 SX4 Crossover w/ Technology Package. After doing an exhausting research I was convinced.
I used to have a TRD FJ Cruiser, but gas was killing me and noticed that in NC there wasn't much to do after they took Tellico away.
Next step is to get me the RR lift, new tires and skids.:)

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I just got me a 2011 SX4 Crossover w/ Technology Package. After doing an exhausting research I was convinced.
I used to have a TRD FJ Cruiser, but gas was killing me and noticed that in NC there wasn't much to do after they took Tellico away.

Cool! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine (although mine isn't lifted).

Be sure to check out http://www.clubsx4.com, too (specific for the SX4).

- Andy

Bobfab

Observer
I thought i would contribute some pics of my former SX4. It is very missed... but we all gotta move on sometimes!

DSCF9012.jpg

DSCF8997.jpg

DSCF8948.jpg

LMarshall73

Adventurer

Where'd you get yours? I went to Planet Suzuki and they had nothing, aside from salesmen in shiny suits. In ended up buying a Subaru Forester instead.

SUK SX4

I did the same, Nada in Planet Suzuki, so I called Prestige Suzuki in Asheville and they had 2 of the same I was looking for. When I went they still had one. Right on time!

josh_sx4

Observer
I have the Rocky Road Outfitters lift kit. It's a simple strut & spring spacer kit with rear shock extension brackets. I upgraded the too-soft OEM rear shocks, but other than that it was a bolt-it-on-and-go affair, with a simple alignment afterward. It allowed me to go up 2 inches in tire diameter. I gained an actual 3.25 inches of ground clearance over the stock height, which obviously made a huge difference in off-road ability. The aggressive General Grabber AT2 tires (215/70-R16) are a night-and-day difference over the junky OEM Bridgestones.

Fuel economy obviously varies quite a bit with driving style, but 30mpg highway is pretty easy to achieve. My best full-tank MPG was 33.4mg, but I typically get around 28 on the highway driving in the 65-70mph range.

I'm at 28 most of the time as well in the 65-70mph range. I have the 2 in RRO lift and 215/75R15 tires

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I just finished a 8,000km trip across canada and even pulling my 1000# trailer I still managed just under 12.2L/100km (19mpg) fully loaded with two passengers through the mountains and 110km/h through the prairies and even some rough service roads mixed in there. So even trailering they're very efficient! I also had 16,000km on this oil change (synthetic) and it did not burn a single drop of oil, even after 8,000km of constant heavy load on the engine. This is also with the RRO lift, 215/75/15 A/T tires and a roof basket with a full-size spare on it. So that's pretty much the worst mileage you can ever expect with it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-B-C-and-back-again-The-little-SX4-that-could

They really are little tanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles