Suzuki SX4

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ok, I don't know about an Expo rig, but frankly that thing looks to be COOOL in it's own right... "lock" mode sounds fun, and if they added a Turbo to the thing it'd be really fun.

SGV

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread, but I drove one all day today.

I brought my Grand Vitara in today to get its alignment worked on and I was given (rented) an SX4 to drive today. I didn't take it off road, but I did put about 100 miles on it.

It is a small car, but it feels pretty big on the inside. It handles pretty good, kind of sporty. The acceleration is adequate since it is a light vehicle. First gear is pretty low so it likes to "leap" if you are not careful with the gas when pulling from a stop. I had a lot of fun driving it and I wouldn't have minded at all to keep it for the weekend if I "had to." Also, there is a lift kit available for it.
sx4-4.JPG

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
there's a tuner version in the latest Car and Driver and it looks like a fantasticly fun little car. There's also a Subaru sponsored Rally racer guy type person who lives around here who after all his Scoobys that he has at his disposal went out and bought one... he says he LOVES the thing and he's working on a Race tuned version for a toy.

Cheers

Dave

vengeful

Explorer
There's a ton of parts for them available from overseas, including the WRC Homologation Turbo setup. :D

285bhp in that would be sick.:jumping:

LRNAD90

Adventurer
SGV said:
Also, there is a lift kit available for it.

It looks cool with those tires, too bad they are too big for the car to actually run though. From the Lift manufacturer's website...

"Please note in tire size. We tested with 235s. They are oversized and will require additional trimming and other possible unknown fit issues for your vehicle. We do not recommend this tire size for the average driver as a result."

Looks cool though...

sx4-2.JPG

SGV

Adventurer
Best4x4xfar said:
It looks cool with those tires, too bad they are too big for the car to actually run though. From the Lift manufacturer's website...

"Please note in tire size. We tested with 235s. They are oversized and will require additional trimming and other possible unknown fit issues for your vehicle. We do not recommend this tire size for the average driver as a result."

Looks cool though...

Probably why they put them on. 225's will probably be adequate for the type of roads it will be able to handle. I am stealthily trying to convince my wife to trade in the Rav4 for one. Of course, she is more likely to trade it in for a Tacoma, so I have nothing to complain about in that regard.:drool:

vengeful said:
There's a ton of parts for them available from overseas, including the WRC Homologation Turbo setup.

285bhp in that would be sick.

Yeah, a bit insane I believe. I remember test driving a MazdaSpeed3, a compact with about 270hp I believe. It is not too much bigger and it was quite the beast with those ponies with the front wheel drive. The driving wheel pretty much lifted the right side up under hard acceleration. I imagine 285hp on the SX4 would give a nice four wheel spin though.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
wesel123 said:
I would love to lift mine...who is the manufature of this lift in the pics above????

Since you own one, can you confirm that it actually has front and rear differential locks? I'm assuming that the press has misinturpreted a center diff lock (locking front and rear diffs together) for actual diff locks (which would still be great ont his class of vehicle), but maybe you can clear that up..

wesel123

Explorer
Best4x4xfar said:
Since you own one, can you confirm that it actually has front and rear differential locks? I'm assuming that the press has misinturpreted a center diff lock (locking front and rear diffs together) for actual diff locks (which would still be great ont his class of vehicle), but maybe you can clear that up..

Nope its only a center diff lock. Sorry to burst the bubble.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
The gf is in the market for a car so we dropped by the Suzuki dealer yesterday and saw an SX-4. Nice little car, BUT:
* no 4WD
* no diff locks of any kind
* insufficient ground clearance
* petrol/gas engine with typical torque peak and rpm.

I wonder how far you'd get on a rocky incline. The stock engine puts out 100HP and 143Nm. There was a crowd and cameras outside the dealership. They were covering a the release of a turbo kit which, according to one of the salesemen, increased HP to 150.

A Toyota Rush (the poor Asian cousin of the Rav4) would be a better starting point for a (somewhat) capable cross-over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles