Howling Moon and Bundu Boxes

Moody

Needs to get out more
img0025yr.jpg

At the recent Sportsman’s Exposition in Sandy, Utah i’d had enough of the outfitters selling guide services to Alaska when I ran into a booth that was more my style. A nice Land Rover Discovery with roof tents and awnings attached caught my eye. I had the opportunity to meet Roualeyn de Haas who is the owner of BunduGear.com. Roualeyn has begun distributing the Howling Moon line of roof tents and related gear to the US Market.

After some serious evaluation of both the roof tents and the trailer, I noticed some uniform boxes labeled, ‘Bundu Box’ sitting nearby. Turns out they were yet another product de Haas is bringing to the US market. Modeled after the South African Army’s ammunition boxes, they are constructed of plastic and are stackable. Additionally, the boxes fit neatly inside Howling Moon’s specially constructed covers, made of the same waterproof material the roof tents are made of. BunduGear.com offer bags for two or three boxes. Before I left the show, I was sent on my way with two of the boxes and a matching cover.

I loaded them up with all of the easter goods my kids were to receive on our upcoming camping trip, and after putting them in the cover bag, I strapped them to the roof of the cruiser. There are nicely sewn slots on the top of the bag to aid in securing them to the roof.
I gave them a good flogging as I drove through snow, rain, and significant wind over a 6 hour period. I was concerned that with the amount of moisture, I would have some leaks. Once we arrived in camp, I was pleased to find the contents of both boxes perfectly dry. Sized about the same as a small Rubbermaid Actionpacker, they are made to stack on top of each other, and are strong enough to sit on.

dsc0257u.jpg

dsc0255e.jpg

I only have two nitpicks, which weren't a problem for me, but could be a potential issue:

1- Latches are made of plastic. I was told they sell replacement latches, though an aluminum or steel replacement could solve the problem permanently.
dsc0256a.jpg

(Special thanks to Jonathan, my high-paid hand model)
2- The storm flap on the bag stops about an inch before the end of the zipper on each side, leaving an open avenue for moisture to enter the bag.

Both proved to not be an issue for me, and I am pleased with the quality overall. I plan to order up some more for gear storage inside my vehicle, as well as organization of gear in the garage...

www.bundugear.com

cnskate

Adventurer
I think they are also called "Wolf Boxes" too. I picked up four from Slee last year. The clips have a tendency to pop out, making them easy to lose. I put a little strip of Sumo Tape on the top above where they hinge and fixed that problem.

I'd like to get one of the taller lids too.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I think they are also called "Wolf Boxes" too. I picked up four from Slee last year. The clips have a tendency to pop out, making them easy to lose. I put a little strip of Sumo Tape on the top above where they hinge and fixed that problem.

I'd like to get one of the taller lids too.

Yes, AKA 'Wolf Boxes'.

Does Slee still sell them?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Yes, AKA 'Wolf Boxes'.

Does Slee still sell them?

I'm pretty sure Slee does not sell them anymore. I got a few from them last year and would love to get a few more.

I really like the Wolf Boxes a lot, and can live with the plastic latches for now because I use them for stuff I don't need to access very often.

I would call Bundu to get in on some of their products because they sell out quick.

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
They say that they are the exclusive howling moon dealer in the USA, but Afrispoor carries howling moon products as well.

I would like to get two more boxes to match the ones in my Conqueror Trailer

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor

Actually, "Wolff" was a brand, of a similar box. They are actually just called "ammo" boxes in South Africa, since they are modeled on the South African Defense Force ammo boxes from years ago. The style is pretty much THE standard in boxes in Southern Africa, with virtually all drawer and slide systems being built along the ammo box dimensions.
I agree that the clips can come out fairly easily, so one has to be careful with how vigorously one opens them! Good news is, we'll be carrying ample supply of spare clips at very low cost.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
They say that they are the exclusive howling moon dealer in the USA, but Afrispoor carries howling moon products as well.

I would like to get two more boxes to match the ones in my Conqueror Trailer

Hi XJBANKER
In fact, we are the exclusive Howling Moon distributor in the US. The good folks at Afrispoor are a dealer for our line, specifically the trailer tents, and we're proud to have our tents on their fine trailer. Some of you may know that Afrispoor in South Africa also has a fine reputation for a quality product, and as such, spec their trailers with Howling Moon.
And we'd be happy to set you up with a set of boxes for your trailer.
Roualeyn de Haas
Bundu Gear.com

Moody

Needs to get out more
I really like the way the boxes stack and the useable space is much better than a similar sized Actionpacker. I will most certainly be ordering a few more for gear inside.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
img0025yr.jpg

At the recent Sportsman’s Exposition in Sandy, Utah i’d had enough of the outfitters selling guide services to Alaska when I ran into a booth that was more my style. A nice Land Rover Discovery with roof tents and awnings attached caught my eye. I had the opportunity to meet Roualeyn de Haas who is the owner of BunduGear.com. Roualeyn has begun distributing the Howling Moon line of roof tents and related gear to the US Market.

After some serious evaluation of both the roof tents and the trailer, I noticed some uniform boxes labeled, ‘Bundu Box’ sitting nearby. Turns out they were yet another product de Haas is bringing to the US market. Modeled after the South African Army’s ammunition boxes, they are constructed of plastic and are stackable. Additionally, the boxes fit neatly inside Howling Moon’s specially constructed covers, made of the same waterproof material the roof tents are made of. BunduGear.com offer bags for two or three boxes. Before I left the show, I was sent on my way with two of the boxes and a matching cover.

I loaded them up with all of the easter goods my kids were to receive on our upcoming camping trip, and after putting them in the cover bag, I strapped them to the roof of the cruiser. There are nicely sewn slots on the top of the bag to aid in securing them to the roof.
I gave them a good flogging as I drove through snow, rain, and significant wind over a 6 hour period. I was concerned that with the amount of moisture, I would have some leaks. Once we arrived in camp, I was pleased to find the contents of both boxes perfectly dry. Sized about the same as a small Rubbermaid Actionpacker, they are made to stack on top of each other, and are strong enough to sit on.

dsc0257u.jpg

dsc0255e.jpg

I only have two nitpicks, which weren't a problem for me, but could be a potential issue:

1- Latches are made of plastic. I was told they sell replacement latches, though an aluminum or steel replacement could solve the problem permanently.
dsc0256a.jpg

(Special thanks to Jonathan, my high-paid hand model)
2- The storm flap on the bag stops about an inch before the end of the zipper on each side, leaving an open avenue for moisture to enter the bag.

Both proved to not be an issue for me, and I am pleased with the quality overall. I plan to order up some more for gear storage inside my vehicle, as well as organization of gear in the garage...

www.bundugear.com

Thanks so much for posting the review. Glad you got some good use out of the boxes so far! I agree with you on the clips; I'd like to see them in a spring steel, so we're going to see what we can do. In the meantime, the plastic catches work pretty well, and we'll be keeping plenty replacements on hand for an easy and cheap repair.
As for the zipper flap- good point. Can't say it's ever been in issue in our experience, but I'd be glad to hear feedback if and when it is an issue so we can address it. In several years of their use, it has not been an issue for us in extremely dusty, and sometimes very wet, conditions, perhaps because the small gap is in the rear, and not on the leading edge. So please keep us posted.

Roualeyn de Haas
Bundu Gear

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Are the wolf boxes better made than the action packers? I wouldn't mind something that is in between a pelican and the action packers.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Are the wolf boxes better made than the action packers? I wouldn't mind something that is in between a pelican and the action packers.

I have 4 wolf packs so from my perspective :) in some sense they are the South African version of our action packers ?

wolf packs would be closer to action packers than they are to pelican
the pelican are way tougher etc.. but also way more money and weight etc....

so for me I think I would pick wolf packs over action packers for storage of items that are going inside my rig/trailer

the wolf packs have great stacking and great use of space
the lids can be a bit funny to learn to take off since their are 4 latches on them but once learned not to bad :)

I think I would pick wolf packs over pelican to save weight and get great stack ability
if security and super toughness was my concern I would pick pelican(storm) cases

so if you had a combination of wolf packs and pelicans you could be set in my eyes :)

I really wish you could get wolf packs with a hinged lid on one side :) so the tops would not be loose

so if I was packing my rig up and I had 3 piles of packing solutions
action packers - pelican - wolf packs

I would pack my rig using wolf packs and pelican boxes and not bother with the action packers :)

I do have a action packer I throw junk in that is in my trailer so I have used all 3 :) but at the time nobody was bringing in the wolf packs ?
also the action packer fits the space just right so it works

hope that brain dump helps :)

overlander

Expedition Leader
I like the foam inserts for kitchenware. this could be an alternative solution for me to a new chuckbox!

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Where can I find the inserts? I've seen pictures of them, but what about availability in the States?

We'll have some for you in a couple of weeks- give us a call or drop a line and we'll fix you up with some.
Cheers
Roualeyn de Haas
Bundu Gear

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I have a conqueror conquest and have 4 wolf boxes in the slides, two mounted in the rear above the Engel and two stacked in the nose cone.

I would love to know about:

1) additional clips
2) any foam inserts of any type
3) additional boxes (price) and the Howling Moon Canvas Cover for same! (price)

Love these boxes. On the four we get in and out of the most, we are putting luggage straps with snap clips. (no clips at all).

Dendy

ps: Saw your booth at Expo this past weekend and over heard you speak about the grills, but your booth was so busy, I never got to personally speak with you about the wolf boxes! Great Show ... thanks for being there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94