Why did Ford stop putting diesels in the E series

18seeds

Explorer
Just curious?

I think i read that the new diesel engines did not fit? So does this mean Ford is out of the diesel van market?

EMrider

Explorer
Just curious?

I think i read that the new diesel engines did not fit? So does this mean Ford is out of the diesel van market?

I'm no expert, but here is what I think I know about the diesel vans.
1) The 6.0psd is late lifecycle and does not meet new emissions standards. Hence it needs to be 'replaced' with another design in the new vans.
2) The Ford 6.4psd, which replaced the 6.0psd, is too big to fit into the E series.
3) Ford is looking ahead to the new 6.7psd motor for all full-size diesel applications.
4) Not clear yet whether or not the new 6.7psd will fit into the E series vans, nor whether the current E series will be re-designed in next year or so.

Based on what I've heard about the new 6.7psd, I certainly hope that Ford offers that motor in a full size van sometime in the near future.

R

haven

Expedition Leader
Like EMRider said, the 6.7L is too large for the E-series chassis.

It's unclear to me how many customers would need 700+ ft-lbs
of torque in a van, anyway. If you do for some reason, you could
buy an F450 cab/chassis and add a cube van body to it.

I think Ford's original plan was to offer a 4.4L turbodiesel with
about 500 ft-lbs of torque in the E-series. Ford of Europe makes
a 3.6L V8 turbodiesel. This model was expected to be the basis
for the 4.4L. Ford even showed pre-production versions of the
4.4L in 2008.

Then diesel fuel prices skyrocketed in 2008, and Ford put the 4.4L
engine project on the shelf. Today, they're looking at the EcoBoost
gas engine technology. The F150 will get a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 in 2011,
producing 355 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. This level of torque is available
from 1500 to 5250 rpm. These numbers are as good as those produced
by the 5.4L V8 currently offered in the E-series vans for 2010.

I expect that Ford will eventually offer the EcoBoost technology on
a V8 engine. In this form, the V8 will produce close to 500 hp and
500 ft-lbs, which would make the 4.4L V8 turbodiesel and today's V10
gas engine superfluous.

skywagon

Apparently, Ford is suspending production of ALL vans in a couple of years anyway, sort of making the whole topic moot.
Bill

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yep, emissions. Ford was paying a penalty on the 6.0 for the 08's & 09's, and passing that on to the customer.

The new 6.2 V8 would be plenty for the vans, but a diesel would be nice. The new 6.7 diesel has inboard exhaust manifolds, so it should be narrower than the 6.4's right??? We still won't get it though,.......

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Apparently, Ford is suspending production of ALL vans in a couple of years anyway, sort of making the whole topic moot.
Bill

Seems that the Econolines are going away. One of the magazines I subscribe to had photos of the new generation Ford van and it looks a lot like the Sprinter. Available in a lot of different sizes and with different power options including a small clean diesel. Whether it will be as stout as the Econolines remains to be seen.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Nah, all of that is bunk.

Ford dropped the Power Strock in the E's because Ford is American, and we are not allowed to like diesels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz