Any thoughts on the G650x Challenge over an GS?

alosix

Expedition Leader
Got my new Touratec catalog yesterday and they have a nice spread of parts fr the 650 and 450 BMWs. I really like the end result of those.

Can anyone think of a reasonable reason not to use a G650x Challenge instead of a used F650 GS? Prices in the used market are somewhat comparable, but the G650s are a little newer.

Thanks
Jason

Cookiemonster

Yea, the x challenge is a piece of crap. If you wanna waste your money go ahead. I've seen guys break their frames doing normal riding. That shouldn't happen on a well built bike.

For that kind of money, I would buy a nice KTM dual sport.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
They are two very different bikes, built for different purposes.

The F650GS is a more street oriented bike than the X-challenge. Lower, wider, seat. Less suspension. They work great on the nicer roads (forest roads, two-track, etc). You can quickly overwhelm the suspension when the terrain gets rough and you try to keep the speed up.

The X-challenge is happier on the dirt. Still not a 'dirt bike', but the suspension is better suited for rougher trails than the F650. Taller, narrower seat, etc. Some people just hate the air suspension stuff -- so they change the shock out -- to each their own on that one. There are guys racing stock X-challenges (tire and gearing changes -- nothing else), and they are doing fine.

alosix

Expedition Leader
They are two very different bikes, built for different purposes.

The F650GS is a more street oriented bike than the X-challenge. Lower, wider, seat. Less suspension. They work great on the nicer roads (forest roads, two-track, etc). You can quickly overwhelm the suspension when the terrain gets rough and you try to keep the speed up.

The X-challenge is happier on the dirt. Still not a 'dirt bike', but the suspension is better suited for rougher trails than the F650. Taller, narrower seat, etc. Some people just hate the air suspension stuff -- so they change the shock out -- to each their own on that one. There are guys racing stock X-challenges (tire and gearing changes -- nothing else), and they are doing fine.

Yeah, the more dirt orientation is what has me looking at this. I really like that little 650 Rotax for its economy. The weight and 45mm front forks of the XChallenge make it interesting though.

Availability does seem to be a bit of an issue though, they appear to have halted production for a bit.

Jason

traveltoad

Aaron S
The G650 has great fuel economy... I think my friend get 70mpg on the trail. A couple big tanks and his range is 400+ miles. But... he has invested a whole lot of $$ in the thing... lots of Touratech stuff and replaced and/or resprung/revalved suspension.

Go Orange.

Oni

Adventurer
I have an X Challenge. Great 50/50 bike. If you want more dirt, get orange or Husky. If you want more street, get the F650. If you do street to get to dirt, the X Challenge works great.

Decent mileage, 50-60 I think...don't really keep track. Cruises 75-80 no problem on the slab.

Stuff I added. Emig steering damper, TT skid plate, hard parts guard, TT Rad guard, TT small rack, Cycra Handguards, MT21 knob front, 606 rear.

RR1

Explorer
Got my new Touratec catalog yesterday and they have a nice spread of parts fr the 650 and 450 BMWs. I really like the end result of those.

Can anyone think of a reasonable reason not to use a G650x Challenge instead of a used F650 GS? Prices in the used market are somewhat comparable, but the G650s are a little newer.

Thanks
Jason

They both have great motors, the same if I remember correctly. The X has much better clearance and suspension than the F650GS, the GS will get overwelmed quickly if the terrian gets much rougher than a graded gravel road. The GS's plastic tends to shatter. I am not much of a fan of the F650GS in the dirt, at least if you like to go fast like I do. The X-Challenge is much better at it. You can make the GS "good" (but not great) in the dirt but you have to throw a bunch of money at it. Where as a KTM or a Husky in the 650 class come ready to go right out of the box.

The air shock on the X overheats and fades quickly or simply doesn't work at all, swap it out for a coil over. I have seen the wheels come appart if the X is ridden hard. Get the suspension redone, throw on some luggage like the Giant Loop and go.

If you don't want to go 'Orange' or the BMW models won't work for your application. Have you looked at the Husky 610?

Husqvarna%20TE%20610%20IE%2007.jpg

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Yea, the x challenge is a piece of crap. If you wanna waste your money go ahead. I've seen guys break their frames doing normal riding. That shouldn't happen on a well built bike.

For that kind of money, I would buy a nice KTM dual sport.

I really like my piece of crap. Purchased new for $5995. There's more info over on ADVrider for both bikes.

For me, the XChallenge is what the Dakar should have evolved into: a relatively lightweight 650 dual sport that handles a wider range of terrain (or handles the same range better). I have HB racks and Ortleib dry bags and really consider it the perfect weekend camping bike.

There was the well documented battery issue, which appears to be an Exide issue rather than BMW. All 650X bikes should hopefully have a Yuasa by now replaced under warranty. Other than that, I have only heard of sporadic issues which I figure can be expected for a first (and only) year run of a new bike. Other than the battery, mine hasn't had any problems and people with far more miles than me have reported similar results. The air shock is kinda gimmicky, but I don't have any big complaints with it. Currently, there are no cheap solutions for extra fuel so you range is about 120-150 miles with the stock setup. Allegedly, a very nice tank will be coming out shortly for about $300 but it keeps getting delayed.

You can't really go wrong with a F650 if your looking for a more road oriented bike. It is quite a bit heavier but has a tremendous track record.

I had a DRZ prior, and it does everything the DRZ did only much better and at not much of a premium. I was looking for a DR650, but when the XChallenges were selling for under $6K with a 3 year warranty it was hard to beat. When they were $8k+, not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior