BMW 450 X anyone have one? impressions?

Mike Serpe

Observer
Anyone have one of these BMW G 450 X dual sports?

if so please share you opinions, both on and off road and for trails....

curiously,

Mike

Attachments

• down_g450x_wallpaper_03_1024x768.jpg
    down_g450x_wallpaper_03_1024x768.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It is the closest thing to a 'dirt bike' that BMW makes.

Like all things BMW, it isn't cheap.

To the matter of it being 'worth your effort', all depends on you, and what you want to accomplish with it.

Its a relatively expensive, 50+hp, 245 pound (dry, advertised) bike, with a decent suspension.

RR1

Explorer
Odd vibration at high RPM's, the suspension needs a lot of work. Feels underpowered with the stock exhaust and cat. After market exhaust helps that motor a lot.

********'s can handle the suspension mods.

Akrapovic is a great exhaust for these bikes.

It is ok, I think there are better choices out there for less money and little effort for setup. I like the enduro models that KTM, Husaberg, Honda, Yamaha, Gas Gas, Sherco, and Husky have to offer over the Beemer.

I haven't had a chance to ride a Beta yet. the specs look good though. They have a build your own bike option also.

BetaRR450.jpg

Last edited:

jl8088

Adventurer
If you're in the market for the BMW 450, you should also take a look at the KTM EXC series (450 & 530cc's) before you make a final decision.

Sorry i haven't ridden the BMW so i can't give an opinion.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
So for the quick comments, I wasn't try to be rude:yikes:, I have spent a lot of time on almost every GS or variations there of they've come out with in the last decade. If I were looking for a good off road bike and were not stuck on owning a Beemer or had a problem with throwing a lot of money at something (BMW), then a KTM 450 EXC, or the Beta (I have seen and played around with the all new 2010 450 bets, really awesome bike) (best bang for your buck besides a DRZ) would be where I would focus my effort. I am a huge fan of BMW's (I'm a BMW Dealer), but they totally & completely missed the mark with the 450 X, if you look at what they've had to do to the race bike with David just to make the bike even half as good as his old KTM, they completely redid almost everything.... including scraping the OHlins for KTM Forks and rear shock etc.. an after all the testing, part swapping & money spent they still haven't got it totally dialed, but I understand most of us are not David Knight, but why start with a platform that has and will always be subpar, thats why there working on another model that we will all see here very soon?
Just my 2 cents...

RedDog

Explorer
This machine appealed to me before it was on sale here and pricing wasn't announced. The problem now is that it's nearly $10,000. here - nearly $1,000. more than the G650GS, a machine you could ride the world on. The Kawasaki KLR650 is nearly $2,500. less. That 450 still fascinates me but not at that price.

RR1

Explorer
but they totally & completely missed the mark with the 450 X...

BMW should stick the big bikes, and focus on the Husqvarna's for their off-road line.

Dirt Rider test of the '09 BMW. Those guys are fairly honest and spot on. I have the opportunity to ride a lot of different brands. The Beemer was the first I couldn't wait to get off of it.

This machine appealed to me before it was on sale here and pricing wasn't announced. The problem now is that it's nearly $10,000. here - nearly $1,000. more than the G650GS.

Completely different animals. It is like comparing a Cheetah to a Sloth.

For $10K get the Husaberg over the BMW 450X, the Bergs handle great in the tight stuff.

tmx_014_008_12_09_08.jpg

Last edited:

HelaJames

Observer
I guess they are not selling well, here is an add for a new one from the dealer for $6790 in Reno.

As far as David Knight goes, he and BMW parted ways and he is back on a ktm this year!

I have owned ktm, cannondale, husaberg and husqvarna. Besides the cannondale I cannot comment negatively on any of them. I guess i just get along with euro enduros!

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1702117042.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior