Fuso FG dash lights

wild1

Adventurer
My traveling partner called me last night from the wilds of eastern Montana with a concern over his new to him 2007 FG. He just got it and the seller did not send the owners manual yet so he is unable to check what the dash light that is coming on signifies. When he lets off the throttle while desending a hill at highway speed an orange light shaped like a coil comes on the dash. If he give it a bit of fuel it goes away. Any ideas what this indicates? Thanks

wild1

Adventurer
problem solved

In searching for an answer to the intermitant dash light I ran across a reference to the driver-activated vacum-actuated exhaust brake on the Fuso FG's.Now the loose nut behind the wheel only need's to figure out which switch he inadvertantly turned on.

engineer

Adventurer
There are 2 possibilities, one is the stalk activation opposite the indicators, the other is a rocker switch that controls the engine warm up on the dash. By the description you give, it is a light to show glow plug operation, but the exhaust brake light is also orange.

kerry

Expedition Leader
It's the exhaust brake light. Not to worry. The exhaust brake comes on when your foot is removed from the accelerator and goes off when the accelerator is depressed. The glow plug light only comes on in cold weather conditions when starting (less than 40 degress F or so). There is a rocker switch to turn off the exhaust brake, should you want to but I don't see a reason to do that.

wild1

Adventurer
Thanks

Thanks for the reply,this is his first long trip and he is a little nervous. He is currently having a camper box built to sit on the flat bed of his truck. It's a great looking rig and should very versatile once he gets it finished. I will get him to post some pictures once its done.

kerry

Expedition Leader
We want to see pictures well before it's done. In fact, we want to see pictures NOW!:sombrero::sombrero: Tell him to get busy with his cellphone, pull into the nearest wireless equipped rest stop and upload them if he wants to get any further advice.:):)

FusoFG

Adventurer
I would turn it on and leave it on. It makes driving in hilly country safer and saves the brakes. After 110,00 miles my brakes are only 25% worn.

The only time you need to turn it off is off road in low range or in very poor traction conditions.

In those situations the exhaust brake can stop the rear axle completely and the rear wheels will just skip along the ground locked up.

engineer

Adventurer
The rocker switch below the hazard lights is a warm up only, as it bypasses oil to make it heat up quicker, we don't use it in the tropics, but in colder environments it is a handy thing. I personally wouldn't use it as the exhaust brake, even though the exhaust brake is one of the functions of the warm up. You'd be best advised to use the exhaust brake on the stalk. I've run one with and one without exhaust brake use, the one that used the exhaust brake had dirtier oil than the one without, but we change the oil every 5000K, Filter @10000K. So for us, it made no difference with or without. Brake linings and wheel bearings and wheel cylinders are changed @ 40000K intervals, and there was no discernable difference for the one without the exhaust brake, but the trial was only 5000K. I'd imagine that if one was to go without using the exhaust brake, The gains made are minimal.
As most here are owner/drivers, we are all more cautious than an employee who is trying to maintain a schedule. I advise use the exhaust brake function only, and use the warm up function for it's intended use.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The rocker switch below the hazard lights is a warm up only, as it bypasses oil to make it heat up quicker, we don't use it in the tropics, but in colder environments it is a handy thing. I personally wouldn't use it as the exhaust brake, even though the exhaust brake is one of the functions of the warm up. You'd be best advised to use the exhaust brake on the stalk. I've run one with and one without exhaust brake use, the one that used the exhaust brake had dirtier oil than the one without, but we change the oil every 5000K, Filter @10000K. So for us, it made no difference with or without. Brake linings and wheel bearings and wheel cylinders are changed @ 40000K intervals, and there was no discernable difference for the one without the exhaust brake, but the trial was only 5000K. I'd imagine that if one was to go without using the exhaust brake, The gains made are minimal.
As most here are owner/drivers, we are all more cautious than an employee who is trying to maintain a schedule. I advise use the exhaust brake function only, and use the warm up function for it's intended use.

Does that apply to 99's? I'm pretty sure my 'warm up switch' is just the exhaust brake switch unless I am completely mistaken. Turn off the warm up switch and the exhaust brake goes off. Never seen anything that indicates the stalk has anything to do with the exhaust brake. Maybe I've been missing something.

engineer

Adventurer
Gee Kerry, now I'm trying to remember... were they an FG647, I seem to recall something I worked on having the exhaust brake on a stalk that worked like a high beam dipper switch, but I think that was an NPS.
I didn't think that the 99 models had a warm up, as they only came out on the 3.9 t. charged intercooled on th later models,
So I'd say your right kerry, i'm trying to find a picture of the rocker switch to post...

kerry

Expedition Leader
Our 99's must be different. Mine has the 3.9 turbo intercooled. It's in the storage lot at the moment but my memory tells me the rocker switch is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel on a left hand drive. I know that when I turn that rocker switch off, the exhaust brake light does not light up when I let up on the accelerator. Now it could be because a stalk switch is off and I'm just not aware of it.

Fusooka

exhaust brake

Thanks for replying to my friend (on my behalf) concerning the exhaust brake. Here are a few pics from the beta test in Eastern Montana "gumbo"...I'm happy to report that the FG passed with flying colors. I'll post a few more pics as the camper project progresses...

Attachments

• copy2 for ep.jpg
    copy2 for ep.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 48
  • gumbo for ep.jpg
    gumbo for ep.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 47

kerry

Expedition Leader
. Now it could be because a stalk switch is off and I'm just not aware of it.

That's exactly what was happening. I was totally ignorant of the stalk switch. I think what happened was that when I bought the truck, I asked the seller how to activate the exhaust brake and he told me to just turn on the rocker switch. I never explored the issue beyond that. Dumb move.

MJCake1

I drive the 2015 and the exhaust switch is turned on by pushing the right side wiper blade control arm forward, easy to accidentally hit. Rock back towards you to turn off. Not recommended​ to leave on cause it will affect your mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior