Coleman Instant Tent?

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
Not any thunderstorms yet, but it held up fine in a normal rain storm. I did spend a lot of time waterproofing the seams and tent fabric, not that they looked particularly bad out of the box but with the design of the tent water is channeled along the seams so I really made sure to take my time waterproofing.

Repacking the 2 person should be easy for anyone, but a small woman might have trouble packing away the 4 person on her own because of the length

fireball

Explorer
Quick update after using the Coleman 6 man with rainfly for a 17 day trip out west. I did a decent job seam sealing the tent before our trip. It held up to some light t-storms and some moderate rain and wind in CO. We got to SD, at a campsite near Hot Springs and had a huge t-storm with winds and light hail and pouring rain for 2 hrs. That's where the tent reached it's limit. It held up well for the first 30' or so but after that had water seeping in everywhere. We probably wouldn't have been soaking wet, but would've spent the night trying to dry the walls and stop the seeping. Had to abandon ship at 1am to the Motel 6.

fireball

Explorer
I just sealed the seams with this product.

Should I have sprayed the fabric too? I was just assuming truth in marketing/advertising!

Exclusive WeatherTec™ System Keeps you dry Guaranteed™

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
I've used that seam sealer but don't like the application brush, it was hard not to make a huge mess. Instead, I used Gear Aid Tent Sure floor sealant with foam brush on the floor and seams but that's just my personal preference

To waterproof the fabric I use always use a solvent based waterproofer, most recently I have used This product from Texsport that worked well. It does decrease breath-ability of the fabric, so it's not appropriate for some climates but works well for me.

SmokeEater2

Quick update after using the Coleman 6 man with rainfly for a 17 day trip out west. I did a decent job seam sealing the tent before our trip. It held up to some light t-storms and some moderate rain and wind in CO. We got to SD, at a campsite near Hot Springs and had a huge t-storm with winds and light hail and pouring rain for 2 hrs. That's where the tent reached it's limit. It held up well for the first 30' or so but after that had water seeping in everywhere. We probably wouldn't have been soaking wet, but would've spent the night trying to dry the walls and stop the seeping. Had to abandon ship at 1am to the Motel 6.

Well that sucks! I just bought the rain fly for my instant tent figuring I'd be all set for rain storms... Maybe not. :smilies27

fireball

Explorer
I am probably not the world's best seam sealer applier and I didn't coat the fabric as the poster above suggested. So perhaps with a bit more effort it could be waterproof.

florence

Hey i not a big fan of this kind of tents!

These models use only fiberglass poles. These have a little aerodynamic shape, which gives them a low stability in wind. The knots are missing, and the thickness is very small, we are talking about 7,5 mm.

Second I found that some of these tents have an outer foil with a waterproof 40 mm water column. Extremely low!

These products belong to the category: low price/low quality.

My advice. Stay away and buy i real tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online