Ironman 4x4 Dual Battery Kit

no-pistons

Adventurer
The only issue I could see with this is that a battery, well rested, reading 12.2 volts would indicate that it is 50% charged. Starting batteries really do not like being drawn down to this level on a regular basis. So you might be replacing the starting battery more often than you like. But depending on the load applied to the battery especially by the cycling of a compressor fridge, 12.2 might be reached before the engine battery is really down to 50%.

I don't know that when the engine battery's voltage recovers above 12.2 when removed from the load(and it will), if the product will parallel the batteries again.

You could negate this by using an oversized deep cycle or dual purpose as your starting battery.

Sorry, to bump an old thread, but I was also wondering if anyone has either Ironman system. Seems like a nice kit for a bit cheaper than the others.

I don't know much about anything electrical, but I'm learning. I also had the same concern as the WRCSIXEIGHT, but it seems like Ironman's ad literature is a little misleading, but I could be wrong. I found the manual and it says this:

"1. Once vehicle is started the IMS will disengage the aux. battery in order to priority charge the
main battery. Once the main battery has reached 13.7V for more than 5 seconds it will link the
batteries so that they are both receiving an equal charge from the alternator.

2. With engine running if the batteries drop below 12.2V the LED on the IMS will flash at 1 second
intervals, after 5 minutes if the batteries remain under 12.2V the IMS will disengage the batteries.

3. If batteries are receiving no charge, and drop below 13.0V for more than 5 seconds the
LED will turn off, and after 3 seconds the IMS will disengage."

Seems like the system disengages whenever you shut off the car versus waiting until your AGM is down to 50% (12.2 volts)

Ramjet

Explorer
I think I'm more confused now, than I was two days ago when I almost bought the dirty parts dual battery set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles