Herbie's Chevy Astrolander/ZMB Build Thread

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
One more little trick to make use of all the available nooks and crannies:

Since my rear seat is mounted "in-between" where the 2nd and 3rd rows would normally sit, I've removed the rearmost seatbelt reels from their spots inside the trim plastic. On the driver's side, this frees up a tall, but narrow space next to the rear AC unit that is just perfect to hold my snatch strap and keep it out of the way.

sZQC6qJl.jpg

SeeAt2kl.jpg

The "tray" is still useful for holding phones, flashlights, etc. at night, but can be easily popped out when the strap is needed. If/when the strap is dirty, I'll keep it in my Trasharoo (more on that later) until I can store it "clean" again.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Jerry Can/Propane Fuel Carrier

I've written this up in more detail elsewhere, but I want my build thread to have all the relevant projects in one place. Therefore, here are a couple photos on how I built a rear carrier rack for fuels and my Trasharoo:
dXufGmxl.jpg

VH4aGxKl.jpg

I started with an old junkyard spare tire carrier from a Ford or Dodge conversion van. Added some extra support.

oRg4rtel.jpg

Then cut it and "stretched" it 7" to fit the width of the Astro dutch door.

e3iQE0Tl.jpg

The weight is carried directly on the stock door hinges. So the original pins were removed.

qnst4wnl.jpg

Then 1/4" steel was made into an "over hinge"

NiCDl6Rl.jpg

And mounted with longer pins

cSaBqUJl.jpg

After adding a few extra tabs and painting

GkB5A2ql.jpg

Added jerry can holder and propane bracket

jsRnkQjl.jpg

And enough clearance to the door to fasten the straps of my Trasharoo over the rack

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Genius. Everything you've done is a super clever modification that will be used often. No fluff, or mod for the sake of modding. All well thought out, well designed, well executed and I'm sure all will be well used.

The water bar wins Expo Unique Design of the Year award in my opinion. I would get so much use out of that!

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I love the stuff you do, I'm just questioning putting carpet on and around a spigot? Makes me think mold after being multiple spills and splashes

Got a reason for it?? Other than that, genius designs!!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thus far in practice, the carpet has never got so much as damp. The neck of the hand faucet is actually well out over the plastic area of the "step" for the slider door. (And also more than high enough to get my biggest pot under it for filling.) The drain spigot is similarly proud, plus I have a short length of hose to connect to the spigot so I can drain well away from the door of the van. If it does ever get wet, I can pull the carpet and cover with ABS instead, but we'll see.

What I don't have a picture of, but need to show better is that the aft portion of that "box" has a removable lid (held down with the latch you can see in the "water bar" picture. That opens to a cubby where I store my coiled drinking water hose and other bits that I use for filling and draining the tank.

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
He might be onto something, Mike, he's a bartender!

You should see our bar mats at the end of the night :friday: We have to bleach them down and soak them to get all the suds and liquor out.

I prefer a interior somewhat like the Honda Element. Something rubber lined that you could hose out :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Again, the area under the spigot and drain are hard plastic. If it starts to be come a problem, a bar mat is exactly what I'll put underneath! :)

T.Low

Expedition Leader
You should see our bar mats at the end of the night :friday: We have to bleach them down and soak them to get all the suds and liquor out.

I prefer a interior somewhat like the Honda Element. Something rubber lined that you could hose out :)

That's cuz us Oakland County, Michigan boys are ROW-DEE! Those San Diego High Brows are a bit more sophisticated. :ylsmoke:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just realized I've not been keeping my built thread in-sync. I've written this up in more detail elsewhere, but I want my build thread to have all the relevant projects in one place. Therefore, here are a couple photos on how I built a rear carrier rack for fuels and my Trasharoo:
dXufGmxl.jpg

VH4aGxKl.jpg

I started with an old junkyard spare tire carrier from a Ford or Dodge conversion van. Added some extra support.

oRg4rtel.jpg

Then cut it and "stretched" it 7" to fit the width of the Astro dutch door.

e3iQE0Tl.jpg

The weight is carried directly on the stock door hinges. So the original pins were removed.

qnst4wnl.jpg

Then 1/4" steel was made into an "over hinge"

NiCDl6Rl.jpg

And mounted with longer pins

cSaBqUJl.jpg

After adding a few extra tabs and painting

GkB5A2ql.jpg

Added jerry can holder and propane bracket

jsRnkQjl.jpg

And enough clearance to the door to fasten the straps of my Trasharoo over the rack

ihatemybike

Explorer
Are you still carrying the spare underneath? Currently I do for general driving, but before off pavement adventures I drop it and put it inside.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, still underneath. It's a calculated risk, for sure, but I definitely don't have room inside.

That's one reason I took the non-invasive approach with the rack - maybe someday I'll build a proper swing away bumper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior