Herbie's Chevy Astrolander/ZMB Build Thread

D

Deleted member 9101

Picture of my favorite Astro interior in typical Westy layout (RB50 in Sportsmobile lingo). This is a Safari Condo out of Quebec. There is a good debate on the Samba about wether "to cabinet or not to cabinet". I look at this picture and lust after the interior, but too often my bin with riding gear goes where the lower cabinet is, etc., etc., and I'm just not convinced the cabinets are usable enough for our purposes. I think they may be too limiting, and we really don't seem to miss them while camping.

02sm.jpg

If I was to ever do a van, I woudl definitely go for an interior like that.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You mentioned early in your write-up that you had a Maggnolina that you were thinking of grafting to the top of the Astro. Do you still have the Mag? Do you have any pictures of it on top of the Astro for size reference?

You mentioned that you were thinking of building a short "tower" on the roof of the Astro to make a flat surface for the Mag to sit on. I have pondered the same thing. I have CAD and fabrication skills so I would be doing the work myself. If I end up with an Astro is there any way I can get the shape of the roof from you so that I can put it into CAD and design from there? It isn't critical but it would save me some time.

Has anyone ever measured the pop top of a Westy or euro van to see how close they are in size? I assume this has been done and it isn't close to the same size since no one is looking that direction.

Now that you have scored your GTRV donor vehicle any search tips for others looking for the same thing?

Thanks for the great write-up and keep the info flowing!

I do not still have the Maggiolina. I also do not have any pictures, because I left the unit in its shipping crate (waiting until my fabricator had enough down-time to start an earnest effort). This turned out to be fortuitous because I was able to take advantage of the awesome customer service from Autohome USA and return the tent for a very minor loss on my part after I found the GTRV.

For size reference, I was measuring at the narrowest portions of the roof. Length is easy. Based on my measurements I ended up buying the Airland Small, eXtra-Long. The "small" was for the width. The Astro roof is narrower than it looks, and anything above a small Maggiolina and your Astro will be wearing a bit of a "hat" that sticks out beyond the sides, sort of like a Tiger GT. If you're ok with that, the medium or large may suit better. The XL was just to make the tent as long as possible to come close to fitting the roofline. As I remember (don't have my notes in front of me), I would have had about 12"-18" of roof left in front of the Maggiolina if I positioned it as far aft as possible. The other advantage of the XL was for ingress/egress. I wanted to have a permanent access portal into the tent (like the GTRV solution) and doing that on a shorter bed wouldn't leave enough to sleep on. Even with the XL, I was thinking I'd want the portal to have a drop-in to extend the sleeping platform.

The downside of needing a small/XL is that it paints you into the Airland part of the line, which is the lightest-weight alternative and doesn't allow for a roof rack to be mounted above (if you're following their recommendations.)

The tower would only have to be tall enough to absorb the crown of the roof. I think it was a bit over 1" or 1.25" at the corners. The tallest spot is in the middle and it drops away on the sides and fore/aft. I never got as far as a CAD model because the GTRV donor came up pretty early. I have foam-boards that I traced the contours onto, but that's it. Pretty easy to duplicate what I'd done so far!

In fact I haven't measured any of the VW tops! Never had easy access to one with enough time to document one thoroughly. My instinct is that the Vanagon top would be the easiest to fit, because its tall enough to tolerate a little trimming to fit the contours of the roof. All of the Eurovan tops I've seen (both Westy and Winnie, etc.) are all pretty form-fitting and low-rise which means that unless the roof lines are uncannily similar, they won't fit well.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Top Transplant, Day 3

OK, big update today. Removed the top/tent from the donor, did a test-fit on my van, and a few other details.

I don't have time for a full writeup with annotations, that will come in the next couple of days, but for those following along at home, pictures with a few notes are available here on Picasa.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Top Transplant, Day 4

OK, just another quicky update. This should give you an idea of the carnage I have wrought upon my perfectly serviceable Astro van:

IMG00426.jpg

A few more photos are here. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera for Day 4, so its just blackberry pictures again!

Yes, I am definitely committed now! :victory: :wings:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Yes, I am definitely committed now!

Lucky for us they didn't commit you a long time ago!

Looking good; Rock on, man! :rockon:

(wasn't I going to get something for you...how the bed fits or mattress or something?)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
(wasn't I going to get something for you...how the bed fits or mattress or something?)

I was just asking about the upgraded Mattress pad you had mentioned a while back. I wasn't sure if it was a "topper" or if you replaced the mattress pieces outright.

Since I have the opportunity to re-do the bed foam, and I was surprised by how thin the foam for the back-half of the bed was, I was just looking for data points.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Oh...sorry.

Jen bought a 3" memory foam mattress on line, we trimmed it to fit and just put it on top of the exisiting GTRV foam. It's incredibly cozy.

The couple times that i've forgot and closed the top with the memory foam mattress still up there, the back of the top didn't close very well.

Edit: Page 5, post #44 of this thread, my picture shows the mattress tri-folded and wrapped in two adjoining hefty bags, sitting on the back shelf, so you can see how much space it will take up if you keep it separate from the GTRV mattress.

Jen's actually in your neck of the woods at the San Diego convention center until Thursday...with SPIE.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Jen's actually in your neck of the woods at the San Diego convention center until Thursday...with SPIE.

Ack! If I'd known she was coming I'd have offered to take her out for a meal or something. I think she'd get on great with my wife! :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Top Transplant, Day 5

Progress has been a little slow this month due to busy time at work, sick baby, etc.

I also realized I never posted the images from Day 5. So here we go.

IMG00433.jpg

The reinforcing ring is now riveted into place, and I have done the final trim of the van roof sheet metal using a combination of nibbler, air body saw, hammer, and swear words.

I'm REALLY glad I made the investment into a pneumatic rivet gun for this project. 150+ rivets would have killed my hands using a manual pop-riveter. (I have small hands so getting enough "grip" to squeeze the handles is tough, plus I already have an RSI from years of poor workspace ergonomics.) With the pneumatic tool, just insert the mandrel into the jaws (not always as easy at it sounds), then pull the trigger and pop-ffffssssssshh, rivet done.

IMG00441.jpg

The pop-top and hinges are now fixed to the van roof with the backing plates glued in, mimicking the donor's setup.

I have not yet attached the tent to the van roof or the lifts for the pop-top, those come next, and I have a surprise up my sleeves for that installment! :)

Until next time...

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Awe
Sum

And you're doing this while dealing with the joys of fatherhood. You are a God among men sir.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice work!

I got to check out Herbie's van a few days ago at the Expo Meet and Greet. The pics don't do it justice. The pop-top retrofit is very well done and looks great. I'm impressed. This is going to be a great camper when finished.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I got to check out Herbie's van a few days ago at the Expo Meet and Greet. The pics don't do it justice. The pop-top retrofit is very well done and looks great. I'm impressed. This is going to be a great camper when finished.

Thanks a ton! That's great to hear. I admit my documentation here is lagging somewhat behind the state of the project. I was pushing hard to get the vehicle back to at least "driveable" for the M&G, so I'm a bit behind on the writeup....

I'll see about remedying that soon.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
at least "driveable" for the M&G, QUOTE]

What the hell does that mean? You zip-tied it on to go to the M&G?:sombrero:

Mike, thats awesome progress on such a MAJOR project, especially considering all the other priorites you've got going on in your life.

Please, don't bother to take the time to respond to my post. Instead, use that time to install another zip tie, or upload build photos, change a diaper, or something else constructive. Cheers.

labbe66

Observer
Herbie-
That is great that you got the van back on the road! I know that is always a major hurdle. Now relax a bit and enjoy it. But at some point we'd love to see more pictures. Now that I have an Astro all I need is to sell my truck and get a commuter. Then I can dive into the Astro with all of the 15 minutes a week I get to work on projects!

suntinez

Explorer
HMR, I agree!

Herbie, what a well thought out plan. I can't wait to see what you do to this thing.:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke