Herbie's Chevy Astrolander/ZMB Build Thread

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You didn't miss it, I'm once again behind on posting updates...

The lift wasn't terribly difficult, it can mostly be done in your driveway (if it's flat) and you have the normal assortment of tools. Yes, it was the Overlands 4" kit, although I might have gone piecemeal if I were to do it again.

I didn't use the re-indexed torsion keys as I didn't want to do too much life with the bars, so I just maxed the stock keys. The front body/subframe lift went in easy as pie. The rear lift is via a new spring pack which works pretty well, but gave me more lift than I anticipated so I switched back to the stock spring shackle (vs. the lift shackle). I'm going to give it a few trips to settle and then re-measure to see if I need to put the lift shackle back in.

I still need to do the ball-joint relocation (involves drilling out the factory rivets and moving things underneath - I'm going to do new Moog ball joints, etc. at the same time. Bigger job.

The only welding was to install the new shock tabs higher up on the rear axle so that you can use stock-length shocks. The tabs OLV sent me weren't very fancy and weren't really even very well radiused for the axle, so I'm not sure I'd spend the money on those again.

I'll try to post an update on that whole deal soon.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Thanks!
I need to check their website and see what I, um... my friend... would need to lift his 1995 Tiger xl. And go check out overland vans site right now.

Also does the kit include a bigger/thicker torsion bar or it is just the key?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The kits for the later vans just include the keys (and the body pucks). Earlier vans also need a longer steering shaft, I think. The interchange for the different size/lengths for torsion bars is a bit beyond me, but I do know that 1995 was a crazy transitional year, so I'm not sure what goes under there.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Herbie; said:
The interchange for the different size/lengths for torsion bars is a bit beyond me, but I do know that 1995 was a crazy transitional year, so I'm not sure what goes under there.

The 95 was supposed to be the last year with long (worse) torsion, but my 1996 had them. It's also supposed to be if you have the early long torsion, you also had the worse monoleaf setup in the back. Mine had the late steel multileaf in back with the early front setup. Bottom line is check your setup before ordering. I strongly recommend upgrading to the late shorter front torsion because the long design isn't available aftermarket any longer. The keys are different inner diameter between the two. Hope that helps. I also strongly recommend Loopies solid puck body lift.design over.the hollow nylon OV setup, both stronger and cheaper. Get them fast before he figures out he should be charging more for them than he currently is.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Yes, it was the Overlands 4" kit, although I might have gone piecemeal if I were to do it again.

Care to share details how you would piecemeal the lift?

I found another site that sells replacement steel springs, but just stock height. RocKrawler had a good suggestion for using Dorman Torsion bars.
And I guess Loopie's body lift pucks, but is that just for tire clearances? I am only looking at running a 29" tire (that sounds funny).

Also what shocks did you use on your lift?

Thanks!!!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There's a thread on AstrosafariVans.com on how to piecemeal your own lift kit, down to part #s and bolts you'll need.

Since I'm not using the OLV keys (and they're a big spendy item right there), I'm virtually guaranteed to have spend more $$ than I needed to.

Still running stock shocks. I did the rear shock tab relocation so I can use the stock length in the rear. Have a set of lightly used Bilsteins I plan to add up front, probably similar in the rear.

AdvSwede

Came across your build, Great Job. Previously owned a 2WD Astro. Can't beat the utilitarian aspect of the platform. Sold my last 4x4 and have been wanting to do this same thing. I've owned Wrangler, Cherokee, FSJ Wagoneer, and a Dodge Ext Power Wagon. All of these platforms have limits either too small, too light and or too big, too heavy. I'm very impressed with you project:smiley_drive:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Have you added the Blingsteins up front yet? My Rancho 9000's seem a bit Vanilla, althout I don't really have anything to compare them to on the Astro.

BTW, #2, litte Lilja, is going to arrive any day (minute?) now.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Came across your build, Great Job. Previously owned a 2WD Astro. Can't beat the utilitarian aspect of the platform. Sold my last 4x4 and have been wanting to do this same thing. I've owned Wrangler, Cherokee, FSJ Wagoneer, and a Dodge Ext Power Wagon. All of these platforms have limits either too small, too light and or too big, too heavy. I'm very impressed with you project:smiley_drive:

Thanks much. Yes, we're loving the utility. Still lots of work to do, but we've managed to get a few good trips in this year. About to undertake a teardown and re-do of the bed/storage system - not happy with a few things.

Have you added the Blingsteins up front yet? My Rancho 9000's seem a bit Vanilla, althout I don't really have anything to compare them to on the Astro.

BTW, #2, litte Lilja, is going to arrive any day (minute?) now.

Tom, not yet, but I need to. The ExPo Desert Rendezvous trip had a section of bad-roading and off-roading that seems to have been the beginning of the end of the stock shocks. The last few trips were all on-road so I put off the change just to finish out the summer camping season. Now I have a long to-do list. In addition to the bed re-do above, I've got to do shocks on all four corners, do the front ball-joint relocation I never finished, find an NP231 and S-10 front diff to swap in, re-gear the axles, and most importantly (to my wife), get the damned headliner put back in!

Keeping our fingers crossed for the swift and safe arrival of Lilja! Hope to see you before too much longer. Maybe we should start planning now for the Herbie clan's oft-discussed but never materialized PNW tour!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks! Worst case scenario, we'll see you in San Diego again next August while on J.Low's business trip.

Looking forward to your observations on the ball joint relocation off roading experience. I'd imagine it would be fine.

Snowgeek135

Observer
Hey guys, I wanted to introduce my self. 1 year ago i found t.low's van while researching poptop camp vans. Well one year later due to both t.low and herbie I am well underway. I will get a build thread going here soon.

I too want to know that you think about the bilsteins. In my attempt to get things going on my van i just went with the rancho 5000. I have used these before on 4runners and have liked them well enough for the price but am not totally stoked with the motion contol that they provide on the Astro.

Again thank you for building inspiring rigs for the rest of us to copy :)

Ryan from Boise, ID.

P.S. T.Low it is a small world, sounds like we have a mutual friend....Louis (Toyota Tacoma).

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well Herbie, I wish I had followed your advice and gone with the Astro, my Fozzy is not getting the MPG I expected and the Astro wouldn't have been any worse, probably better and lots more room! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles