Herbie's Chevy Astrolander/ZMB Build Thread

T.Low

Expedition Leader
The S10 front axle is 60" wide, while the Astro front axle is 66" wide. Who would have thought, eh?

There is merrit in the idea of going pre runner style...but then on the other hand, if you get stuck out in the backcountry in a two wheel drive Astro van, the consensus will be "What the hell were you thinking?!!".

ihatemybike

Explorer
Actually it's the S10 front IFS differential and 2-spd transfer case that turn an AWD Astro into what most consider a true 4x4, and the diff really only adds a pointless disconnect on the passenger side axle. The CVs and the rest of the parts don't swap in and none of the parts are an easy swap into a 2WD.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If I were to do another AstroLander, I would search for an AWD GTRV, or an AWD Hi Top to send to Colorado CamperVan and have Derek work his magic on popping the top.

Check w/ Derek to be sure, but I seem to remember him saying it was actually easier for him to do his pop-top magic on a stock roof van, rather than trying to remove a hi-top and turn it into a pop-top.

Seeing his work, I definitely wish I'd waited until he could fit me into his schedule!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You could just build it as a prerunner; selectable locking rear diff., lift and more aggressive tires.

Here's one spot where us Astro guys get into trouble. So far as I know, nobody makes a selectable locker for the 7-5/8" rear.

There have been a number of solutions proposed. Some on the ASV forum have done custom 9" rears. I believe the GM 12-bolt or 14-bolt from a fullsize van might fit, and I've even seen the rear diff from an FZJ80 suggested as it has a similar passenger-side offset and an electric locker.

zuren

Adventurer
There is merrit in the idea of going pre runner style...but then on the other hand, if you get stuck out in the backcountry in a two wheel drive Astro van, the consensus will be "What the hell were you thinking?!!".

True, but even with 4 wheel drive there needs to be a level of common sense and skill employed. 4x4 has the ability to get you home or get you stuck deeper, farther off the pavement.

The big question is, "how much do you want to spend?" Almost anything is possible given enough time, cash and/or skill. If you are hoping for a $1500ish conversion like the conversion on my fullsize van or a few of the Astros that you see here and online, I think you can forget it. If you are a welder, fabricator and good finding junk yard parts then maybe it's possible for not a ton of money. Here is a thread for thought:

http://www.astrosafarivans.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8&sid=cc463aaa4b04f9fefe53373788b12095

AWD to part-time 4x4 is doable, it's been proven several times. 2WD to 4x4 is a bigger animal and you would want the build to have sound fabrication and be reliable if you are going to AK. In my opinion, building a 2WD into a solid prerunner style (rear locker - if one is made, tires, suspension lift) with provisions for self recovery (winch, tow strap, bridging ladders) or swapping the body of your current van onto the chassis of a AWD van are probably the most economical options. Just my $0.02.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In my opinion, building a 2WD into a solid prerunner style (rear locker - if one is made, tires, suspension lift) with provisions for self recovery (winch, tow strap, bridging ladders) or swapping the body of your current van onto the chassis of a AWD van are probably the most economical options. Just my $0.02.

Since the Astro/Safari is basically a unibody van with a front subframe, there's no full chassis to swap a body onto, but this is basically what I mentioned above - you CAN theoretically swap the front subframe/engine cradle from a donor. C'mon, it's only like six bolts and a mess of wires and tubes, right? ;-)

zuren

Adventurer
Here's one spot where us Astro guys get into trouble. So far as I know, nobody makes a selectable locker for the 7-5/8" rear.

Ugh. I guess the Detroit locker is the only option if the van doesn't already have one. Not sure if the 2WD came with anything.

At least you Astro guys have a decent selection of shock absorbers to choose from. I just went through getting new shocks for my Express; not many manufacturers cover the Express vans.

ihatemybike

Explorer
C'mon, it's only like six bolts and a mess of wires and tubes, right? ;-)
Only if you are swapping the engine, transmission and transfer case with the sub-frame.

The 7.625 can also run a Detroit TrueTrac and Auburn Posi.

There maybe more shocks available for the Express. I've found more shocks for the Astro by seeing what other vehicle use the shocks listed for it, then search the shocks for thoses vehicles.

For instance: Rancho doesn't list any shocks for the front of 2WD Astros, but 2WD Astros use the same front shocks as the 1999-2003 Dodge Durangos, which they do list a shock for.

According to www.RockAuto.com the 2005 Express AWD shares front shocks with the 2000-2006 Tahoe and rear shocks with the 1995-2000 Tahoe.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There maybe more shocks available for the Express. I've found more shocks for the Astro by seeing what other vehicle use the shocks listed for it, then search the shocks for thoses vehicles.

For instance: Rancho doesn't list any shocks for the front of 2WD Astros, but 2WD Astros use the same front shocks as the 1999-2003 Dodge Durangos, which they do list a shock for.

According to www.RockAuto.com the 2005 Express AWD shares front shocks with the 2000-2006 Tahoe and rear shocks with the 1995-2000 Tahoe.

Now THAT is a great tip!!

Kenny Johnson

Wow! I am a tank mechanic in the Army and I think you guys know more about the Astro van than I do the tanks. Props. There are many ideas here... the trick is finding the best solution. I have a somewhat adjustable budget of about $2,000 for this project (just the off roading part and work done myself), even though I don't plan on going mud bogging. I just want the van to make it to the primitive areas safely and effectively. I think the cheapest (but not my favorite) solution is as follows: A locker for the the rear, a lift (need some ground clearance), AT tires, and a winch (will need if not 4x4). Another option... since I bought the van for an unbelievable price with 90,000 miles on it, I could sell it and keep searching for the perfect low mileage AWD. These, I have realized, are very hard to find. Then another option is that I can stop being so frugal with my money and put all the money necessary to convert to a real 4x4, but I would rather put that money into the road trips. Aaaahhhh... I have never been more excited about a project and even more indecisive.

ihatemybike

Explorer
As the owner of Grumpy, I definitely suggest putting your money towards the road trips.

How far off the beaten path are you wanting to get?

Kenny Johnson

van-canoephoto.jpg

I saw this guy's 2 wheel drive on astrosafarivans.com and it gave me hope. I think his username was 9dawgs. He has done a great job with it so far.
@Aaron: I drove my 2003 ford taurus on a coast to coast road trip with mountain bike and camping gear attached. I was determined to get in some primitive camping spots and actually made some of them, but couldn't go as far as I wanted. Thank God I did break my little car or get stuck, but I did scratch along the bottom some (dumb determination). I have never been to the Northwest, so I'm sure my "dumb determination" will kick in once I see the beauty of the spots I want to get in.

This road trip is projected for next July, lasting about three weeks. We will start in Memphis and head all the way west to Southern Cal, then all the way up to BC or Alaska. Then back down the East side of the Rockies (Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, etc). Along the way we will be hiking the Grand Canyon again, Zion, Utah, camping on the beach, tons of hiking and camping further North, fishing, kayaking, cliff diving.... the list goes on and on. It will definitely be documented as well. I promised a friend I would take him on a trip like this when he gets done with chemo... which means I will be doing this twice so he will get a chance to do it 1 1/2 year or so from now. Pretty awesome memories await us!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
9Dawgs certainly has one of the best looking Astro vans. It's served as an inpiration for many a build, including mine.

What did he say regarding his 2wd experiences and the vans off road abilities?

...looks like it's time to give this thread back to Herbie and start a Kenny Johnson thread.

Last edited:

Kenny Johnson

woops... right. Sorry. I'm new to this thread thing. I will start a new one. If it is possible to delete the previous ones to the point of Herbie's, we can definitely do that. Thanks for the reminder.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Mike.
I may have missed it or skip over on accident, but how difficult was the lift to install?
Did you do it yourself? Was it the overland vans kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles