Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
expeditionswest said:
Lets meet up on the 17th or 18th for sure. We are going right through Calgary :jumping:

We are camping the night of the 18th too if you are available.

Not sure about the overnight camping right now - got to check the dates. But for sure we at least have to get together for dinner in the mountains!

Scott Brady

Founder
chet said:
Scot by the map it look like you plan on coming onto Vancouver Island? If so I will gladly meet up with you.

If time allows, we are going to try. I have that day as a buffer to make sure we hit ARB on Monday. We are picking up a vehicle for a few adventures :costumed-smiley-007

Scott Brady

Founder
mountainpete said:
Not sure about the overnight camping right now - got to check the dates. But for sure we at least have to get together for dinner in the mountains!

Pete, you can count on it. I was really hoping to meet up with you on the trip. :camping:

undefinednomad

Done that...

p1michaud said:
Scott,
It's a bit too far West to meet up with you guys, but you have some marathon driving segments planned! One that caugh my eye was this one:

March 30, 2007

Depart- Whitehorse, Yukon Territories
Arrive- Prince George area, British Columbia (Camp)

1097 Miles

Is that correct? You guys will be on the road for nearly a full day! :yikes:
Looks like a blast. Looking forward to the mod frenzy updates...
Cheers :beer:,
P

I have done that drive before, although I was going the other direction... It is a very long drive for one person, but the scenery was enough to keep me going...

You should really stop at Liard Hot Springs even if only for an hour. It is a really nice soak and always leaves me ready to hit the road again. You will find it about 400 miles south of Whitehorse just north of a large suspension bridge. It is well marked with a small park and camping area by the highway and about a 5-10 minute walk to the springs. It is still the best I have been to.

flywgn

Explorer
undefinednomad said:
I have done that drive before, although I was going the other direction... It is a very long drive for one person, but the scenery was enough to keep me going...

You should really stop at Liard Hot Springs even if only for an hour. It is a really nice soak and always leaves me ready to hit the road again. You will find it about 400 miles south of Whitehorse just north of a large suspension bridge. It is well marked with a small park and camping area by the highway and about a 5-10 minute walk to the springs. It is still the best I have been to.

-Nomad, I assume you're suggesting the stop at Liard Hot Sprgs as just a generic suggestion and not connected with your comment on the 1000-mile day from Whitehorse to P. George.

It's my understanding that Scott and Chris will be going north on the ALCAN Hwy--ergo passing Liard that direction--but coming back via the Cassiar route on that long day, so they won't pass the hot springs.

Nevertheless, your suggestion is a great one and Diana and I can also attest to the therapeutic attributes of the Lliard HS at Historic Milepost 496 (modern MP 477.7). It's one of the few spots open year-round.

Allen R

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
:punk03: Sweet!

I love this Pic:
IMG_9814.JPG

Can you e-mail me the full size one if you get the chance?

articulate

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty impressed with that calendar and your organization of time. And your willingness to share it.

That photo of Chris is sure to make the girls flock.

Willman

articulate said:
I'm pretty impressed with that calendar and your organization of time. And your willingness to share it.

That photo of Chris is sure to make the girls flock.

Thats funny!!!...Even the picture of Scott is GQ style as well showing off this :REExeSquatsHL1: ......lol

Nice planning and Schedule!!!

Remember the offer is still on the table if you guys are are going to be in the hood.

:ylsmoke:

Willman

Willman said:
Remember the offer is still on the table if you guys are are going to be in the hood.

:ylsmoke:

Looks like you are going to miss me on your way back due to myself moving to Utah(March 23). Man...I am about 5 minuts north of Renton too!!! Will have to shot some Elk and do a run in Moah instead!!!!

On your plan...What (4WD Trail, Washington (Camp)) are you planning to hit?

:sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder
2/06/07 Planning Blog Entry

humph_winter21.jpg

Camping on Humphrey's Peak.... In winter.

Scott's first entry (2/6/07):

I really don't remember when my fascination with remote places started, but I think it was pretty young, backpacking with my dad or getting lost in Utah in an old Jeep with Uncle Dave. In reality I can't recall a time when I wasn't filled with wanderlust.

However, the desire to visit the inhospitable and extreme ends of the world did develop later, probably when I was freezing on the top of Humphrey's Peak (12,600'), in Winter. Most people (normal people) climb it in Summer, when it is actually fun to do, unlike clawing up a scree field at 10 degree's only to be hit with 40 mph winds and snot frozen to our faces at the saddle. Somehow I figured it was fun, and worth doing again, only at one of the coldest places on earth, The Arctic Ocean.

I am lucky to have a friend like Chris, for many reasons, but when it comes to things like expeditions, it is a perfect team. First, he doesn't laugh at all of my harebrained ideas, and secondly, he is great with details, like making sure we don't freeze to death... And here we are, a month away, the truck is in pieces in the garage and I have a big list of stuff to do. Thanks for reading!

Scott

RedDog

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Lets meet up on the 17th or 18th for sure. We are going right through Calgary :jumping:

We are camping the night of the 18th too if you are available.

If this din-din in Canmore goes off, I'd be pleased to crash the gala affair with my Jeep and pop for a round. :beer:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Looking like its going to be a hell of a trip Scott. I'm looking forward to following the progress. I know I don't have to say it, but take lots of fotos!:jumping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online