The Perfect Tequila

phxtoad

Adventurer
I remember those dark days when Cuervo Gold was the highest grade you could find. So much of that ghastly fluid has passed over my lips - both to and fro. It is now a blessed time indeed to have such a wide and flavorful selection to choose from.

"En tequila es verdad", and "Tequila is my bretheren" to quote Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. I've had the good and the bad. The expensive and rare, the cheap and the plentiful. Really it's all about the places you have it and those you share it with.

I'm torn inside as to whether I should spread the word in this manner. Usually this is a practice best learned and shared in person... I wish all of you try this sometime soon.

I speak of times spent with a bottle of the golden nectar, shots hoisted with a cinnamon and orange chaser. I learned of the method on a dusty beach in Mexico. Rumor has it it's 'German Style'. I can't verify this. I can only attest to the delicious combination and the looks of those who have experienced it.

I'm not much of a sipper so the technique is more focused on the shot - I believe the method begs modification to suit your tastes:

Begin with the preparation of the oranges. Cut them into wedges and lay them out. Generously sprinkle cinnamon over the oranges. Gold tequila is preferred for this, although I reckon silver will do in a pinch. Toast loudly and raise your glasses to those who fight and have fought to keep us safe. Drink your shot, savour the taste for a brief moment.... Then eat the orange wedge. What you taste will leave a lasting impression. Then spread the word. :)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
All of these are great tequilas but every drink has its place. I think for sitting by the campfire the Herradura Reposado gets my vote. Silky smooth and a little smoky, so it is great in campfire conditions - i: out of a plastic cup, at room temperature.

Some of the others listed are really nice, but I'd rather have them in a glass with a cigar, a little ice, and a lounge chair...

Ray

www.hylandadventures.com

jcbrandon

Explorer
...it is great in campfire conditions - i: out of a plastic cup, at room temperature.

Some of the others listed are really nice, but I'd rather have them in a glass with a cigar, a little ice, and a lounge chair...

Brother, those are campfire conditions. Cigars, ice, and a comfy chair are pretty much backcountry essentials in my book. I'll have to disagree with you on the ice in tequila, though. I prefer it at room temperature. Couple of rocks in a bourbon, now we're talking.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Since discovering Del Maguey Tobala and Chichicapa a couple years ago my preferred tequila has changed a bit :). Single village mezcal unlike anything agave related you've tasted. Unless of course you've tasted Del Maguey Tobala, Chichicapa or one of their other offerings.

One of these days I'm going to celebrate and order a bottle of their Pechuga and see what life's supposed to be about :sombrero:

We now have a 2-year tradition on our spring Utah off-road escapades: Near hallucinations from my own select margaritas complete with a floater of Del Maguey Tobala! Makes everyone cry "uncle" :coffeedrink:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
OK,not really a Tequila drinker, but after reading these posts , I think I should try a "good" Tequila....my experience is basically tge Jose margarita style.
So, what is a good Tequila for around 40 dollars ? :friday:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
OK,not really a Tequila drinker, but after reading these posts , I think I should try a "good" Tequila....my experience is basically tge Jose margarita style.
So, what is a good Tequila for around 40 dollars ? :friday:

There are many very good choices in the $40 range. Don Julio is a favorite and so is Patron. Silver for margaritas and anejo or reposado for sipping. I can usually get DJ Silver for around $35-$37 on sale and figure another $5-10 for the other two. Patron is about $5 more or so than DJ.

But if you really want something special for sipping and/or a special margarita floater anti up another $30 and get the Del Maguey Chichicapa Single Village Mezcal...a real treat!

Sawaro

Observer
Since discovering Del Maguey Tobala and Chichicapa a couple years ago my preferred tequila has changed a bit :). Single village mezcal unlike anything agave related you've tasted. Unless of course you've tasted Del Maguey Tobala, Chichicapa or one of their other offerings.

One of these days I'm going to celebrate and order a bottle of their Pechuga and see what life's supposed to be about :sombrero:

We now have a 2-year tradition on our spring Utah off-road escapades: Near hallucinations from my own select margaritas complete with a floater of Del Maguey Tobala! Makes everyone cry "uncle" :coffeedrink:

x2 on Del Maguey! Total game changer for me. I've never had the pleasure of Tobala or Pechuga, but the Minero and Chichicapa are such a pleasure, so much complexity and agave-ey goodness. $ well spent in my opinion. A bottle lasts me many months. Speaking of which I need another, its been too long.

brngk

Observer
Hot Tip - Sonora Travelers

Not quite tequila, but for those of you who travel in Sonora and have made
fast friends with people living there, I highly advise you try and find some
Bacanora. I know I know, ******, is Bacanora? See here, I've heard you can sometimes buy it, but trust me, it's much better if you get from an old grandfather.:costumed-smiley-007. It's sort of like mixing the best parts of scotch with the best parts of tequila. ******, IMO.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Not quite tequila, but for those of you who travel in Sonora and have made
fast friends with people living there, I highly advise you try and find some
Bacanora. I know I know, ******, is Bacanora? See here, I've heard you can sometimes buy it, but trust me, it's much better if you get from an old grandfather.:costumed-smiley-007. It's sort of like mixing the best parts of scotch with the best parts of tequila. ******, IMO.

Hmmm...not familiar with Bacanora. Definitely will have to try it! It sounds very similar to Del Maguey Mezcal!

Squirrel13

Don Julio Respasado is my favorite sipping Tequila so far but I am going to try a few of the ones mentioned in this thread, of course only because of all the arm twisting. :) ;)

djrez4

Adventurer
Just bought some Casa Noble Añejo this past weekend. I can recommend it, if you can get over the purple bottle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94