The Perfect Tequila

alosix

Expedition Leader
The Marg thread got me thinking.. What do you guys like for a sipping tequila?

I'm pretty partial to things old and dark.

My personal 'I'm glad the day is over' tequila lately has been Kirkland Anejo of all things. I originally tried it because I was curious but its really not bad.

What would ya'll sip when sitting by the camp fire?

Jason

DarinM

Explorer
El Tesoro Anejo is very good in my opinion.
Don Eduardo Anejo is another that I really enjoy.
I've tried many, many others but those are two that I keep coming back to. I have been working on a bottle of El Tesoro for awhile.
Really, really enjoy a nice little tumbler of good Anejo and a mellow cigar. Makes sitting out on the patio watching the beautiful Texas sunset just a little bit better!

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've tried quite a few, and have found a couple that I tend to gravitate to.

For sipping, I usually have a bottle of Cazadores around. It's pretty good considering the price and availability.

For margaritas, I like Corralejo triple distilled reposado.

The Hornitos is pretty good -- particularly when you consider the price.

I do like to mix it up a bit though. At any given time, I probably have 3 or 4 different brands around. Some I like, others I pawn off on unsuspecting people.:sombrero:

alexrex20

Explorer
don't be fooled by the price of Patron and 1800. the lesser qualities still fetch a premium, and aren't all that great. i've tried the Gran Patron Platinum and for $160, i'd rather have 3 bottles of Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Anejo. for $60 or $600, this has by far the best earthy agave flavor, and is very smooth. we drink it straight with no chaser, no lime.

jose-cuervo-reserva-de-la-familia-%202008.jpg

another excellent sipping tequila for the price is Don Julio 1942. not as much flavor as Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, but it is as smooth as water.

don_julio_0860_r2.jpg

good tequilas don't give you hangovers, so spend the extra cash - but don't buy into the hype behind Patron!

alexrex20

Explorer
as someone already mentioned, you can't beat Cazadores or Corralejos for the price, and Senor Frogs if you can get it.

stay away from Cabo Wabo.

if you really want to explore the world of Tequila, check out www.tequila.net.

jcbrandon

Explorer
For sipping, I'm very partial to the anejos. My favorites (in no particular order) are: Chinaco, Patron, Don Julio, Gran Centenario, and El Jimador.

Jason, since you are in the South Bay, I strongly recommend dinner at Fiesta del Mar in downtown Mountain View. Go on a weeknight, sit at the bar, and ask Roberto to educate you on tequila. You can thank me later :)

alosix

Expedition Leader
For sipping, I'm very partial to the anejos. My favorites (in no particular order) are: Chinaco, Patron, Don Julio, Gran Centenario, and El Jimador.

Jason, since you are in the South Bay, I strongly recommend dinner at Fiesta del Mar in downtown Mountain View. Go on a weeknight, sit at the bar, and ask Roberto to educate you on tequila. You can thank me later :)

Fiesta del Mar is one of my favorite places out this way. Its where I ate after the interview that drug me out here. I normally just order a pitcher of the margarita of the day there.. Might have to git the tequila selection a go.

I do have a bottle of Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Reposado (bottle #92) that is very very smooth. I need another one of those.

I've found Herradura quite tastey as well.

Ya'll have posted up some more interesting options, and I keep seeing references to the Don Julio 1942. Might have to give that a go.

Jason

Lumberjack

Adventurer
Funny, I was thinking of starting a thread about tequila's after reading the margarita thread:snorkel:

I have tried Vida Anejo, smooth...

tn_232_vida_tequila_anejo_1178433749.jpg

My wife likes Cabo Reposada, but I feel it is overpriced/overrated with Sammy name and all.

Been wondering what inexpensive tequila's are worth trying both for sipping and margaritas?

Drank two fingers and cheap Cuervo in high school and college, awful, made you wonder why drink at all...

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Sauza Tres Generaciones Añejo

28378.jpg

This has been a favorite of mine for many years. Very smooth with robust flavor. Plus, it is not too expensive.

alexrex20

Explorer
Been wondering what inexpensive tequila's are worth trying both for sipping and margaritas?

Drank two fingers and cheap Cuervo in high school and college, awful, made you wonder why drink at all...

you can get Cuervo Reserva de la Familia for $50-60 for a 750 bottle. it's night and day difference between their Cuervo Especial (the cheap stuff). i highly recommend it; in fact, it's one of my favorites regardless of price.

Cazadores is very popular and very affordable. it has great flavor, and only a little bitterness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online