Amp Research

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Kermit said:
Single speed, eh?

I have an old VooDoo Nzumbi (pronounced zombie)

I tried going fully ridgid, but, my wrists can't take the beating out here in the rocks.

I'd like to do a single speed and give that a shot for a bit to see if I like it. I like the idea of it being super mechanically simple. No chain skipping and the such. I don't know though, I think I'd like a nice simple vintage steel rigid bike with maybe a flex stem (allsop) or something similar. Are you looking to get rid of your Voo Doo?

I spotted this on ebay the other day.. http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECIALIZED-STUMPJUMPER-TANGE-STEEL-VINTAGE-RETRO_W0QQitemZ220086351971QQihZ012QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220086351971

Call me crazy but the finesse it takes to ride a rigid bike is more fun to me then just blasting over rocks without much thought to line. Even in small rocks you need to choose your line and use a fair amount of skill to work your way through technical sections. My Epic is pretty comfy to spend time on and fast too, but sometimes I feel it just has too much crap on it.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Hijjack for the sake of trivia time:

Anyone still remember what the IBOC stands for on the Mongoose IBOC line?

I had one the first IBOCs released. A 1989 IBOC Pro if I remember correctly :shakin:

Trivia winner gets respect.

Pete

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
mountainpete said:
Hijjack for the sake of trivia time:

Anyone still remember what the IBOC stands for on the Mongoose IBOC line?

I had one the first IBOCs released. A 1989 IBOC Pro if I remember correctly :shakin:

Trivia winner gets respect.

Pete

International Bicycle of Champions

Pay up sucka! ha ha

Yeah, my old frame is an IBOC Team that was one of the frames set aside for the factory team riders that a buddy of mine that owned a bike shop managed to score me. At the time it was special since it had the geometry designed for front suspension which the standard retail version didn't have.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
upcruiser said:
International Bicycle of Champions

Pay up sucka! ha ha

Yeah, my old frame is an IBOC Team that was one of the frames set aside for the factory team riders that a buddy of mine that owned a bike shop managed to score me. At the time it was special since it had the geometry designed for front suspension which the standard retail version didn't have.
A friend of mine had one around 1991 or so. It had the triangle top tube and looped chain/seat stay, although his wasn't one of the suspension corrected frames. Cool bikes.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
DaveInDenver said:
A friend of mine had one around 1991 or so. It had the triangle top tube and looped chain/seat stay, although his wasn't one of the suspension corrected frames. Cool bikes.

Yeah, mine has the triangular top tube. It made for an incredibly stiff frame but man, its like a cleaver when you fall and rack yourself on the top tube.:Wow1:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Respect goes to Kristian :beer:

The only fancy features mine had was a wishbone rear, straight forks and cool purple paint!

Clutch

<---Pass
upcruiser said:
Are you looking to get rid of your Voo Doo?

Never getting rid of that bike....:)...I might throw a Fox fork on it one of these days...or a Ti ridgid....if my wrists would hold up.

King hubs and head set

MRP Steely Dan 180 cranks

Moots Ti post

Easton carbon bar

to name some of the good stuff...

I do have some friends who ride fixies off road....now those guys are nuts!

Of all of my bicycles this single speed is my favorite....(click on picture to see different views).

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
Kermit said:
Never getting rid of that bike....:)...I might throw a Fox fork on it one of these days...or a Ti ridgid....if my wrists would hold up.

King hubs and head set

MRP Steely Dan 180 cranks

Moots Ti post

Easton carbon bar

to name some of the good stuff...

I do have some friends who ride fixies off road....now those guys are nuts!

Of all of my bicycles this single speed is my favorite....(click on picture to see different views).

Sweet VooDoo!!! Nice SS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles