Amp Research

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm looking to convert my old hardtail into a single speed and am looking for help in the suspesnion department. The bike is a '93 Mongoose IBOC Team. I bought it 2 days after graduating highschool with my graduation money.:D It was/is an awesome ride. To this day, I've yet to find a hardtail that is as scalpel precise as that bike. Anyway, when I originally bought it, it was spec'd out with an Amp research fork. I still have it along with a bunch of others as well. Over the course of that bikes first life with me I went through 4 new forks with it. Each fork getting 1 to 2 rebuilds along the way. I'm looking to revamp my amp fork for the single speed project. Problem is, I need to rebuild it again (its already been rebuilt twice!) and I cannot find the rebuild kits anywhere for it. Anyone have any insight as to where I might be able to source one? I really want to use the fork since it is so feathery light and cool in a retro tech kinda way.:bowdown:

slooowr6

Explorer
Is it the one that has linkage and a single shock in the middle? If it's that one then it's going to be hard to find a rebuild kit for it.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
It has a single spring in the middle with a damper on one side. A downhill version had more travel and dual dampers. Here's shot of the x country fork. Mine is an earlier version with the chromoly fork blades....

amp_full_front_15.jpg

amp_side_det_15.jpg

slooowr6

Explorer
cool fork, like MountainBiker post above, AR is your best bet. If you like the fork you should take MB for his offer.

MB, that's a cool offer! :bowdown:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Call Amp Research. They're still around, although I don't think they are selling any MTB stuff anymore. But a guy I ride with occasionally got some parts to refurbish his forks recently (about a year ago). Supposedly they are still pretty core riders and they still machine parts to keep their bikes going. Pretty sweet stuff.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
MountainBiker said:
I'll give you my fork if you pay for shipping. It has been hanging in the garage for 9 years, along with the broken Mongoose/AmpResearch full suspension frame.

AR claims to still provide support:
http://www.amp-research.com/build/bikes.asp

Here is the parts list, just in case you don't have it:
http://www.amp-research.com/pdf/F3XCF4BLTPartsList.pdf

Wow, that's a great offer. What version do you have and what steerer tube diameter? Check your PM's. I think I'd be interested no matter what.

I did not realize they were still providing service, thanks for the links, that's great value there.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
upcruiser said:
Wow, that's a great offer. What version do you have and what steerer tube diameter? Check your PM's. I think I'd be interested no matter what.
It is one of the earliest versions. It has the ChroMo tubes, painted black. I'm pretty sure the steerer tube is 1-1/8", although it was cut a bit short by the bike shop that built up the bike. It was purchased new in 1995 IIRC.

BTW, I grew up in the mitten state (SW corner), and I love visiting the UP, but haven't done so in many years.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
DaveInDenver said:
Call Amp Research. They're still around, although I don't think they are selling any MTB stuff anymore. But a guy I ride with occasionally got some parts to refurbish his forks recently (about a year ago). Supposedly they are still pretty core riders and they still machine parts to keep their bikes going. Pretty sweet stuff.

The site says that they are not still manufacturing bike components but are offering service for upkeep. I'm going to email them to ask about part availabilities.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
MountainBiker said:
It is one of the earliest versions. It has the ChroMo tubes, painted black. I'm pretty sure the steerer tube is 1-1/8", although it was cut a bit short by the bike shop that built up the bike. It was purchased new in 1995 IIRC.

BTW, I grew up in the mitten state (SW corner), and I love visiting the UP, but haven't done so in many years.

Sounds exactly like mine. I've got another bike frame I've been looking to build up as a super light x country bike. I was going to use a rigid fork, but this would be better. I'm riding a Specialized Epic which is nice and comfy but I want somthing light again.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I love those old school AMP forks!!

It's old school cause it's when the mtn bike really got started with all these front forks!

drool.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Got the fork yesterday, looks great. I think the bushings and everything are much tighter in it then mine. Also noticed the red spring in it, I'm thinking it has the heavier spring in it which I probably need since I was a gangly 150lber when I was riding my Amp fork last and now I'm 200lbs.

Now I just need to post a thread about finding a nice Ritchey frame... ha ha :ylsmoke:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
upcruiser said:
Got the fork yesterday, looks great. I think the bushings and everything are much tighter in it then mine. Also noticed the red spring in it, I'm thinking it has the heavier spring in it which I probably need since I was a gangly 150lber when I was riding my Amp fork last and now I'm 200lbs.
I think it was the heavier spring, since I weighed ~175 when I spec'd the bike. I only used the fork for about 2 years, until the frame broke. And most of that time was in San Diego, so pretty dry conditions.

I'm glad it found a home other than in the landfill!

Clutch

<---Pass
Single speed, eh?

I have an old VooDoo Nzumbi (pronounced zombie)

I tried going fully ridgid, but, my wrists can't take the beating out here in the rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior