Tools, Spares and Tricks

mcgovski

Adventurer
I seem to learn something new every time I go for a ride...So I thought I would start a thread to share what we carry for tools, spares and trick fixes out on the trail.
For example, I learned that I small pair of needle nose vise grips can be used as a shift lever. THANK GOODNESS!

My tool kit sucks:
2 tire levers, one has a closed wrench on the end the size of my axle bolt
Crank Bros bicycle hand pump.
open ended combo wrench 8mm-14mm
Metric allen key 1.5mm-8mm
leatherman multi tool
bailing wire
JB weld

As for spares:
2 HD tubes
1 Spark Plug
Spare bolt box
patches
valve core tool

I guess we could even ad first aid kits as well to this thread.

alright, who is next?

Mine is pretty small because I am supernewb... :victory:

Tool kit that comes with the bike (Zuk DL650)
Tire reamer
Sausage poker
6 sausages
Rubber cement
Threaded CO^2 cartridges (3)
Threaded air chuck

1st aid is also my daily carry, until I can figure out a more appropriate setup. Looking for small spare box(es) to mount on the inside of my panniers, fill them up with a few extras.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I taped a spare key to the frame. Hopefully I'll remember where I hid it if I ever need it.

Clear tape comes in handy for rebuilding turn signals. Allegedly. :sombrero:

Cheers,
Graham

Wayner

Extra tire tubes.....carry only 21" front tire tubes. They work in the rear tire(18"-19") just fine. I put one in during an emergency fix and put over 4500miles on it. Aside from the normal tools and spares....I've added fuses, light stick, fire starter, emergency blanket, compass, master link, chain breaker, flashlight (AA Mag light), nitrile gloves(For repairs and emergency glove liners),extra headlight bulb, 2-3 bandanas(Used for rags, neckwarmers, face protection when it's cold,Do-rag). I also stash a copy of my Drivers license, registration, insurance and $100 bucks away from my wallet..just in case I lose my wallet, or it is stolen. I also suggest carrying a pack of cigarettes. They can be used as currency or negotiation if you get yourself in a pickle. The cigarette box can start a fire(So can the paper and tobacco). Clear safety glasses in case your goggle or face shieled fails(Z-87 impact resistant), 2 bottles of water that can be used for drinking(Duh), emergency radiator fluid, gasoline transfer if needed. A few granola, power bars. I've at times been accused of carrying too much stuff, but at least I am prepared for the worse.

SEREvince

Adventurer
Mine is pretty small because I am supernewb... :victory:

Tool kit that comes with the bike (Zuk DL650)
Tire reamer
Sausage poker
6 sausages
Rubber cement

Will any of that do any good on a tube?

Are you running TUbliss?

I'm also so a newb, so maybe I'll learn something cool!

Will any of that do any good on a tube?

Are you running TUbliss?

I'm also so a newb, so maybe I'll learn something cool!
I've got tubeless on my wheels. I don't think those items will help much when running tubes. I think for tubes you need patches/cement and you will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles