Wife motorbike

My wife wants a bike. This will do double duty in a few years as my wife/daughter's bike.

Here's the problem, my wife is short. Real short. She needs a small bike for her small frame. She's falls into the 5'2" 99lbs category..

We had her sit on a Ninja 250 at the dealership a few weeks back, and that is proper sized for her. A set of lowering links on it and she'd be golden.

The only problem is the Ninja isn't as dirty friendly as one would suspect. So we're now looking at dual sports, but with a low seat height. She feels most comfortable with two flat feet on the ground.

So the dual sport bike's we've spec'd out are-
Kawasaki KLX 250 S
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Suzuki DR200SE
Yamaha XT250
Honda CRF230L

The supermotards that we've taken serious looks at are-
Kawasaki KLX 250 SF
Suzuki DR-Z400SM
Honda CRF230M

Wondering about the street advantages of the supermotards vs the gained traction of traditional dual sports on the forest roads. We're not looking at anything serious as far as off-road applications go. But we're seriously considering traveling the OBDR on bikes next summer.

Anyone else out there with a tiny two upper who wants her own?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
We're not looking at anything serious as far as off-road applications go. But we're seriously considering traveling the OBDR on bikes next summer.
The list of bikes looks fine and the includes the usual short rider suspects. However--and I am not an expert on this--my understanding is that the OBDR, especially the border-to-border Route 5, is quite a serious piece of adventure riding and probably would require a larger dual sport than those listed (for fuel range, among other reasons).

As I say, I am not an expert, but searching on the OBDR at the Adventure Rider forum and a general Google search will give some trip reports that will help you make up your mind whether the bikes on the list can do the trail.

The list of bikes looks fine and the includes the usual short rider suspects. However--and I am not an expert on this--my understanding is that the OBDR, especially the border-to-border Route 5, is quite a serious piece of adventure riding and probably would require a larger dual sport than those listed (for fuel range, among other reasons).

As I say, I am not an expert, but searching on the OBDR at the Adventure Rider forum and a general Google search will give some trip reports that will help you make up your mind whether the bikes on the list can do the trail.

Definitely not Route 5 right off the bat. And there's quite a few variations that one can take to lessen the technical challenges for new/inexperienced riders.

One thing I should have added to the post was this-
Anyone have any long term experience with these rides? Is there any of these rides that have serious issues that are well known in that bike-specific rider community?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yamaha XT250. Google "Lois On The Loose" for the story of a lady who rode an XT225 from Anchorage to TDF, solo.

John

But remember that Lois is pretty much a bad-a**.

Anyone that can live (happily) on a barge with Austin Vince (of Mondo Enduro fame) has to be pretty tough.

:bike_rider:

My advice to the OP -- help your wife pick her own bike. She needs to pick it, with you educating her on the finer points (such as seated v. standing riding position, etc). In the end, it needs to be her choice. Also, don't teach her to ride yourself. Find a mutual friend, or pay someone to do it. The emotional attachment between husband and wife makes it difficult to accept critique as honest feedback -- it becomes a personal attack in their mind. Been there, done that, won't do it again. Seriously.

There was an article in the Overland journal a while back, directed towards men but written by a woman, explaining how to get wives/girlfriends onto a motorcycle. Great article, but I don't recall which issue it was.

My advice to the OP -- help your wife pick her own bike. She needs to pick it, with you educating her on the finer points (such as seated v. standing riding position, etc). In the end, it needs to be her choice. Also, don't teach her to ride yourself. Find a mutual friend, or pay someone to do it. The emotional attachment between husband and wife makes it difficult to accept critique as honest feedback -- it becomes a personal attack in their mind. Been there, done that, won't do it again. Seriously.

There was an article in the Overland journal a while back, directed towards men but written by a woman, explaining how to get wives/girlfriends onto a motorcycle. Great article, but I don't recall which issue it was.

Excellent advice. As an instructor in a few completely different areas, I can safely say I will never teach my wife anything. I will spare no expense in having her taught at a reputable training facility though.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader

Wondering about the street advantages of the supermotards vs the gained traction of traditional dual sports on the forest roads.

I'm sure an SM would be more fun on the tarmac and less fun on the trails.

That said, I commute 50 miles daily in rain and shine on a DR200 and its fine on streets and manageable on the freeway up to about 65 MPH. The stock Trailwing tires are great for that kind of riding and are OK on trails provided there's no slippery mud.

This is my first bike and it worked well for me. I'm 5'7 with 30" inseam and I can flat-foot it easily. Its also a hoot to ride around town although I'm ready for something different now.

A big plus for the DR200 is 90 MPG and a 3.4 gallon tank brings a larger range than most dualsports.

Cheers,
Graham

jkam

nomadic man
I'm a Super Sherpa fan myself.

It has a lot going for it. Low seat height, easy to ride and learn on but once you get good it is still fine and fun to ride. Nice things stock like digital dash, stainless exhaust, 6 speed gearbox. They retain their value well and are cheap to keep.

I love mine and would take it just about anywhere.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
+1 on the TW200.

Wondering about the street advantages of the supermotards vs the gained traction of traditional dual sports on the forest roads.

I've seen plenty of videos of people hussling off-road with SM tires. As long as it's not mud or deep sand, seems OK.

Anyone have any long term experience with these rides? Is there any of these rides that have serious issues that are well known in that bike-specific rider community?

A friend told this to me when I was shopping my enduro bike, and it seems to be true:

"The great thing is, there are no bad bikes. Pick your favorite colour and buy it."

Owyhee H

Adventurer
++on the TW200. Since she is vertically challenged I would stay away from the taller dual-sports(DRZ XT). The tw200 and super sherpa have low CG's and good manners. I would say TW for more dirt and sherpa for more street. They are both great bikes and you cant go wrong. If you get the TW stay off of it or you will discover how much fun you can have on a 200cc monster.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The biggest problem with the TWs is that the bar to peg distance is *really* small. It is difficult for even short people (like me) to ride them while standing on the pegs.

Marisa rode her TW a total of 5 times before she wanted something bigger (taller). Of course, there is nothing wrong with that, we sold the TW at a $200 loss, so figure it cost us $40 per day to 'rent' it, with a bonus of Marisa now having a better idea about what she wants . . .

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The biggest problem with the TWs is that the bar to peg distance is *really* small. It is difficult for even short people (like me) to ride them while standing on the pegs.. . .
Easily solved by replacing the bars with a set of ATV highrise bars. I installed MSR. $40 works great.:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94