Rode a 1200GS this weekend...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Thanks for the advice, this sounds good. I am finding cheaper legal XR650Rs mostly in Colorado for about $2G that seem like a pretty good deal. The KLRs again, and a few others. An older 2002ish KTM 640 Enduro or even an Adventure also seems pretty good as well and is surprisingly in the budget. Any recommendations on how these are and the LC4 engine (aok? - I like that they are carbed).

thanks, Andre

mcgovski

Adventurer
I am biased towards the 640. I own a 2002 640r adventure with 24K miles on it. Solid. I love this bike. I rode an 800gs and a 1200gs at OVEXPO...and I know now that the 640 is the bike for me. I am going to spend the money and completely rebuild this bike when the time has come instead of buying a new bike.
what else can I compare to? DRZ400, KTM 990, KTM690, Honda 650XR

good luck

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The LC4 is a solid engine -- a 640 would serve you well, if it matches your riding style.

Like CoastalDefender mentioned, intended use and actual use don't always line up. Of course, this is the reason that there are always multiple bikes in the garage (everyone should have at least 4).

mcgovski

Adventurer
"this is the reason that there are always multiple bikes in the garage (everyone should have at least 4)."

I always thought the right amount of bikes in the garage was............One more!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I also want a general bike that is a little more maneuverable and off-road able so that KLR650 seemed pretty good. I know about the brand names and style and feel of the KTM, BMW, and the Japanese bikes but I really haven't been able to figure out the big difference between them all other than price tag. And last thing is I would really like to be able to fit it into my Toyota pickup bed with the tailgate down somehow if possible maybe even by making a collapsible rack of some sort...

hey dre,,, the major difference is simple really, as the price goes up so does the "race" nature of all these bikes, its all about performance. more suspension, more power, better quality hard parts is the main price difference.

with the price tag comes better parts but it also brings more maint. more service intervals, more expensive repair parts and less places to get them. thats not a bad thing if your the kind of rider who will actually use a bike like that, if your not your just turning more money into the same noise the guy on a japanese bike is.

you want something maneuverable that will easily fit in your truck, your really looking for a thumper. i wouldnt look to the drz400 or any of those because for a hardly noticeable weight difference you can get an XR or DR 650. the KLR is a good bike but i would take an XR or DR over it, they are both just more basic and simple bikes than a KLR, and talk about simple, it doesnt get much simpler than the DR650.

i could sing you the praises of my ATK605,,, but its a niche thing, like a FJ55 is in the cruiser world.

so i'll just recommend a XR600-650 or DR650 as a top contender for your search. they are both inexpensive in every way and about as reliable as the sun coming up every morning. but whatever you want to look at you really need to throw a leg over them and hopefully ride them to make the final decision as they all feel just a little different.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hi guys,
So I threw a leg over a built XRR to my weight/spec and it was awesome... A little scary awesome, totally dialed, didn't feel too small at all... Something I will have to get used to and really learn to ride but that would definitely work.. Really nice guy who really knows his bikes... So that is definitely an option. The LC4 640E also sounds great as well possibly.. I love the look of a 690E but the scary power does.. scare me for sure, even the 650RR did scare me a little to the point that maybe a XRL might be a better ticket I dunno, thought that power will be awesome on the freeway..

Anyway I'll keep researching and keep everyone posted of progress, mindset, decisions.. :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey thanks Clay as always...

hey dre,,, the major difference is simple really, as the price goes up so does the "race" nature of all these bikes, its all about performance. more suspension, more power, better quality hard parts is the main price difference.

with the price tag comes better parts but it also brings more maint. more service intervals, more expensive repair parts and less places to get them. thats not a bad thing if your the kind of rider who will actually use a bike like that, if your not your just turning more money into the same noise the guy on a japanese bike is.

you want something maneuverable that will easily fit in your truck, your really looking for a thumper. i wouldnt look to the drz400 or any of those because for a hardly noticeable weight difference you can get an XR or DR 650. the KLR is a good bike but i would take an XR or DR over it, they are both just more basic and simple bikes than a KLR, and talk about simple, it doesnt get much simpler than the DR650.

i could sing you the praises of my ATK605,,, but its a niche thing, like a FJ55 is in the cruiser world.

so i'll just recommend a XR600-650 or DR650 as a top contender for your search. they are both inexpensive in every way and about as reliable as the sun coming up every morning. but whatever you want to look at you really need to throw a leg over them and hopefully ride them to make the final decision as they all feel just a little different.

I love the look of a 690E but the scary power does.. scare me for sure, even the 650RR did scare me a little...

Here's the thing about scary power- You need to know your own limits, respect them, and work within them. Then, at appropriate times, you push the limits to learn/grow more as a rider.

I would say getting a bike that is "scary" isn't the end of the world. Getting one that is uncontrollable is. It's best to get one that has power you can grow into.

If a 400 seems right, a 650 scares you, and a 1200 makes you **** your pants, get the 650.

Like CoastalDefender mentioned, intended use and actual use don't always line up. Of course, this is the reason that there are always multiple bikes in the garage (everyone should have at least 4).

Yup. I'm looking for a small 200-400 for dirt only at the moment. :victory:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...My buddies in San Diego (one of which owns the 1200GS also) have the same bike as you except the 6 speed version, they both live on a military trailer that they haul out for that type of riding.. Right now again with mountain biking I don't want to realize how much fun it would be on a dirt bike so in an effort to keep worlds apart, I'm thinking I want to use this for more of the multi-day type trips and around town and commuting to Heber or SLC... Again I think starting with a nice cheap street legal 650 is a good call to see where and what I want to do... ?

Mine is the 6 speed, tops out ~105 in the top gear depending on sprockets and tire sizes. I remember your buddies, they were wanting to get them plated here in Utah because its so much easier than Cali. I think we all went to lunch when they came up here to register them no?

This weekend really solidified my decision on the bike size. I set up my Tacoma as a base camp at the rock-crawl comp and used the bike for around town and beyond. I did a ~120 trip out to Marjum Canyon including some great desert two track to an old mine, where I subsequently found I had a peice of barbed wire in my back tire. Rode back to Delta (54 miles) on a flat :eek: Rolled into town and drove right to the moto shop, they had a new tire and swapped it while I waited. Burned up on the Fishlake NF above Oak City this morning, and did a nice 30 mile loop around and through Eureka on the way home including some more great technical single track and two track to old mines. I'm absolutely in love with the thing and really glad I chose a more 'nimble' bike that while sacrificing road handling characteristics, allowed me to really enjoy the tight stuff. I'm by no means saying its the perfect size for everyone, just that instead of going with a 'mid-range' bike in the 600-650 range like I had initially anticipated a couple years back (just about bought a DR650E from Tricky-Dicky's son but after test riding it, it felt like a pig. Awesome power, get up and go, comfy on the road... but big & heavy and lots of little things to break not if but when you dump it), I think the way for me to do it is a smaller bike and a much bigger 800+ bike. Now to get that passed Candace.

What I'm saying it spend some time on a couple different size bikes, not sitting on them or burning around the neighborhood, driving them where you intend to do so. Plenty of places in SL & Heber rent bikes, Moab and others have rental outlets too. Spend a few hundy, plan a great bike trip and go get some seat time without having to jump into a purchase. You may find that the 650 is perfect for you, though you may find it lacking for true over the road stuff. Greg (RME owner) rides bigger bikes and I consider him a really experienced rider. The AFC single-tracks worked him pretty good with a bigger bike. The flip side is he can comfortably doing several hundred mile trip where a bike like mine even with the extended tank leaves me only ~140 mile range, zero real stowage room and a more dirt-bike feel.

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
, where I subsequently found I had a peice of barbed wire in my back tire. Rode back to Delta (54 miles) on a flat :eek:Rolled into town and drove right to the moto shop, they had a new tire and swapped it while I waited..

Don't you carry tubes?

You should try Tubliss, all you have to do is throw a plug in the tire.

I have been running them for a year, haven't had a flat yet. They have paid for themselves many times over.

If you can't fix the flat the side wall is so much stiffer than a conventional tubed tire you can ride it back to camp/town/whatever...

http://www.tubliss.com/

tubliss-cutaway.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...If you can't fix the flat the side wall is so much stiffer than a conventional tubed tire you can ride it back to camp/town/whatever...

http://www.tubliss.com/

tubliss-cutaway.jpg

Very cool, I'll have to look into those. I had a spare tube, but no way to pump it up so it was a moot point without being closer to my truck. Generally I would have been riding with a partner and this would have been a much different situation. The Maxxis Desert IT held up just fine on the flat journey back, in fact it was still 100% usable with a new tube. It was a true test of my patience as the 40-70 mph speeds out were replaced by 25-35 mph speeds on the return trip, anything faster would get pretty loose. I had a similar conversation with the gents at the bike shop (Delta Power Sports rocks btw), it seemed 50/50. Some carry not only the tube but the pump and all necessary tools to do the swap, the others just bank on being able to limp it back home or to their rig without the need. I had the option of hitch-hiking, or easier yet calling my pals back in Delta, they offered to come get me but at that point I had already been riding a bit just to get to cell service and it was riding completely acceptable.

Question for you or others that may know. Front flat... I've never tried or had to run on a front flat, rear only in all my cases. While it seems like riding on a rear flat isn't too big of a deal, what about a front. Obviously it would be super squirrel but will the narrower and lighter duty front tire handle the ride? Deciding if I should gear up to change a tire? Most of my riding is done with a freind that desert races, for him tools are added weight and are left home... he does run a run-flat insert though so maybe that should be my next investment?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey Kurt,
Thanks for your comments above.. I am pretty sure it will be a 650 because again it won't be so much as a weekend recreational thing but rather multi day and the same adventuring. A bigger bike would be just as capable as I think most of our trucks but they cost more (at this point) and the 650 in general sort of gets it all done, doesn't do any of it just awesome or in comfort but does it all and seems to be the ticket.. I found an older XRL that looks great with only 6000 miles, original owner, and $2G that looks like the ticket (these have not changed, pretty much ever, except for some coloration). I think this will be a good start. I think renting is a good idea but I'm way too impatient for that.. :)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Question for you or others that may know. Front flat... I've never tried or had to run on a front flat, rear only in all my cases. While it seems like riding on a rear flat isn't too big of a deal, what about a front. Obviously it would be super squirrel but will the narrower and lighter duty front tire handle the ride? Deciding if I should gear up to change a tire? Most of my riding is done with a freind that desert races, for him tools are added weight and are left home... he does run a run-flat insert though so maybe that should be my next investment?

I'm not a fan of riding on a flat -- front or rear.

The lighter bikes running tires with stiffer sidewalls can get away with it, but the 450+ pound pigs that I ride are a different story.

I carry tubes, spoons, air pump, patch kit (in case of multiple flats), along with all the tools to change the tube on the side of the trail. 30 - 45 min is all it takes. When you are 100+ miles from home on a Sunday afternoon, with nothing but freeway between you and the horizon, I wouldn't want to rely on a flat tire to get me there.

If you are riding a small (light) bike that you trailered, well, that might be a different story. But with the heavy adventure bikes that you ride to/from home -- yea, carry the spares.

RR1

Explorer
Kurt,

Your buddy is probably running a bib mousse, while you'll never get a flat. That is why he doesn't take tools. They are a real pain in the ******** to mount, it is like mounting a tire that is fully inflated. They produce a lot of friction, you have to lube them up to keep them from breaking down. The other option is Tire Balls, little seperate inflatable balls...same thing as the bib mousse, pain to mount and dismount, plus you have to keep those balls lubed. Individual balls can go flat.

Riding with a front flat is squirrelly, but can be done, just sit waaaay back on the bike to get the weight off the front.

I can change a trail side flat in about 5-10 minutes. The tire is good and hot, comes off the bead quite easily. All you need is two tire spoons (I like the Moose ones) and a mountian bike pump and/or CO2 inflators. I use but always have a pump, as backup, had too many CO2 failures.

A little extra weight beats a long walk or riding on a flat, which can be hell on your rims.

But now with Tubliss and sealant flats seem like a thing of the past. The tire can hook up better since you can run lower psi. I run 10 in the front and 8 in the rear for desert riding. I am not going back to conventional tubes.:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94