Rode a 1200GS this weekend...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
And drool from this non bike rider, what an amazing machine and possibly a mistake as far as my pocket book is concerned.. I have always been a fan of EFI over carb'd but the later price tag sort of scares me. When looking at Ara Gureghian's '96 1100GS with 230K miles I am so impressed that I think I could possibly look for a cheaper super high mileage bike and take if from there.. Thoughts on this? And/or where to look as well? I would be looking for something in the $3-6G range at some point in the longer future. Is this a total pipe dream you think?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I've already started reading heavily about some of the different options. I would be totally down with something like a KLR650 or something like that as well, it does not need to be a BMW.

Looks like the options are:

KTM Adventure
Old 1100/1150/1200 GS of some sort
KLR650

and then the Yamaha and Suzuki options that I haven't gotten that far yet? I really like the '08 and later KLRs though and there are even a couple for sale.

I really like that there is a good variation between the 650 all the way to 1200 but they are similar bikes. One thing about this 1200GS (though it may have needed a tune up) but it really didn't feel "1200 powerful" at all, in fact it felt like a strong 650 to me. And the KLR650 for example seems pretty powerful as well...

The big thing for me is I want the larger dirt bike feel and the problem is I am 6'5 with long legs (37" technical inseam, wearing a 34" inseam pant) and find most bikes too small. So that also changes things a little.

I also want a general bike that is a little more maneuverable and off-road able so that KLR650 seemed pretty good. I know about the brand names and style and feel of the KTM, BMW, and the Japanese bikes but I really haven't been able to figure out the big difference between them all other than price tag. And last thing is I would really like to be able to fit it into my Toyota pickup bed with the tailgate down somehow if possible maybe even by making a collapsible rack of some sort...

Again this is a little while away but I figure plan for it now and learn and review. :)

thoughts?

Is there a really good writeup on all of this somewhere that anyone has found?

RR1

Explorer
ADV Rider has pages and pages of write ups on just about every brand out there.

Truthfully it is a matter of riding different brands and sizes to see what you like the best and most comfortable on. It is all about personal opinion. What works for one may not work for another. You can read and read about different brands, but until you ride them you won't know what you'll like.

Without riding with you, I have no idea what kind of rider you are. If you are new to the sport my only suggestion is to start on small mellow bike
Given your size everything is small. :ylsmoke: Any 650 should be good. You can always upgrade or downgrade in the future. Like anything else there are different tools for the job, I have several different sizes and models of bikes. There is always one that I grab the most though. Right now it is my KTM 450XC.

You should look at a Honda XR650 too. Can be found cheap a ton of aftermarket parts out there for that bike.
There are Honda shops just about everywhere, getting parts would be no problem.

Here is one in Rally trim.

2002_HondaXR650R.jpg

If you're an experience rider looking for good dirt and street performance the power of the KTM Super Enduro
is quite amazing, might be out of your price range.

P7080009%20short%203.JPG

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I prescribe Ritalin for this scenario :D

You really need to decide what type of riding you want to do. Adventure riding aka long miles into the hundreds and more mild dirt routes. Or a more dual sport bike, less comfortable for short pavement sections but a little more agile in the dirt. Or a true dirt bike, short jaunts on the blacktop are borderline at best. I figure my bike is somewhere right between a dirt bike and a dual sport, not a true example of either but for what I like to do it works out perfectly.

You live right on the back of some pretty sweet single track riding (AF Canyon) and some mroe technical riding all over the state (Five Miles of Hell and others in the Swell), Slickrock, etc in Moab. I think you would feel a bit overwhelmed with an 'adventure' bike and even some of the true dual sports are just too much for this type of terrain.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Looks like the options are:

KTM Adventure
Old 1100/1150/1200 GS of some sort
KLR650
. . .

I really like that there is a good variation between the 650 all the way to 1200 but they are similar bikes.

Those are all VERY different bikes! Sure, they are all loosely referred to as 'dual sport' bikes, but you just can't really compare a KLR with a KTM ADV, or a big GS. Heck, you really can't compare a big GS with a big KTM, about the only things in common are the number of wheels, and the HP that the stock engine produces. Outside of that, they are very different machines, each one outperforming the other in different ways.

One thing about this 1200GS (though it may have needed a tune up) but it really didn't feel "1200 powerful" at all, in fact it felt like a strong 650 to me. And the KLR650 for example seems pretty powerful as well...

The KLR puts out around 36hp, the big GS about 100hp. If the 1200 felt like a 650, it needs more than a tune up.:Wow1:

The big thing for me is I want the larger dirt bike feel and the problem is I am 6'5 with long legs (37" technical inseam, wearing a 34" inseam pant) and find most bikes too small. So that also changes things a little.

BMW tends to cater to shorter riders (hell, I can reach the ground on a 1200GS -- so you *know* they like short guys!). KTM doesn't really give a rats back end about us short guys. Put me on a 950ADV and both my feet dangle in the air. That's not a problem when moving, but coming to a stop creates some challenges.

It's all about what fits you (physically, and mentally).

First, figure out what kind of riding you want to do on *this* bike (and realize that there is no 'do it all' bike out there -- some try, but they all fail). Are you looking for something to go poke around the back roads at low speeds? Are you looking for a bike to ride hundreds, or thousands, of mile up and down the freeway to remote areas to explore? Are you looking for a bike to ride tight single track with? Are you looking for a bike to explore the wide open desert with? Are you looking for a bike to live off of for extended periods (RTW travel)? Each of these will favor a slightly different bike. Sure, some overlap, but you are always giving up *something* -- so decide early on what you want *this* bike to excel at (you can always add more bikes later as your needs, desires, and riding style change) -- and they WILL change).

Use that decision to narrow down the list of potential bikes, then see which of those physically fits you (keeping in mind that it is easy to change bars, pegs, etc to tweak the ergonomics).

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Good stuff... Ritalin required, correct.. :sombrero:

I am leaning much more towards the smaller 650s I think and preferably something light but I would say 90% of the use is around town or commuting and then multi day adventures, not a lot of recreational 'dirt biking'. My buddies who also ride a lot of single track are mostly selling their bikes right now (if I could have afforded it right now I just missed a sick 650 KTM from a 6'3 buddy that could have been perfect).

I was just looking at the Transalp 650, the XR650 kitted out as you mentioned, the DR650. I think even a smaller V-Strom is too much bike maybe?
I found this pretty killer review it seems that compares three of the Transalp style bikes that I think works well?
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22366

Again this is all long term planning but I would like to do some long weekend trips with basically a lot of the same terrain we do with the trucks mostly like a Swell trip or farther and back. I also ride and need to ride my mountain bike a lot and this is sort of thing 'for life' so I won't/don't have a lot of time or even interest to do some of the more weekend AF type stuff/single track/technical dirtbike riding, though it sure would be fun... So this is why any one of the bikes I mentioned would work though I totally agree about maybe anything 900 or 1200 being probably too big... I am also definitely a novice rider though I pick up things really quickly and feel and know two wheeled platforms pretty well as I am a good technical MTB rider and have always felt good on motor cycles even though I don't have a lot of time on them. In terms of the heavier bikes I feel that 'feel' machines pretty well in terms of knowing what their limitations are and how to get stuck or unstuck, when to use the throttle to get out of things, etc etc...

The question is guess is if bikes like the V Strom and the Transalm in 650 or 700 form are also too much bike versus a XR650. I like the concept of the slightly under powered, capable of 75 or 80 mph OK, good gauges, bigger tank and good efficiency, relatively new if Japanese, but if I got into some hair stuff then I wouldn't be in totally over my head. So something like the V Strom 650 or Transalp 650 or 700 or maybe a KTM Adventure. In some emails that are saying used KTM Adventure...

I am pretty strong and 450lbs and the 1200GS didn't scare me at all other than just getting used to it, I almost felt at home. But a taller but smaller engine size/ weight does sound good to me which is why I am thinking long distance capable 650/700 or so...

Next step is to go check out a bunch of these in person maybe.. :)

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I guess I should go check out a bunch of these in person maybe.. :)

Bingo. Spend a morning checking out all of the dealers here in SLC. Plaza Cycle has a pretty broad used inventory, as does South Valley (Ramirez sells bikes there) and HS of SLC at times. Just go 'window' shopping and sit on as many as you can. I think you'll rule out a handful right off the get go, they just won't comfortably jive with your height. Next try and arrange some rides on the bikes that do fit you.

Local forum to check out: motoutah.com Pretty active community of riders and clubs, they have been able to answer any question I've had.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
First, figure out what kind of riding you want to do on *this* bike (and realize that there is no 'do it all' bike out there -- some try, but they all fail). Are you looking for something to go poke around the back roads at low speeds? Are you looking for a bike to ride hundreds, or thousands, of mile up and down the freeway to remote areas to explore? Are you looking for a bike to ride tight single track with? Are you looking for a bike to explore the wide open desert with? Are you looking for a bike to live off of for extended periods (RTW travel)? Each of these will favor a slightly different bike. Sure, some overlap, but you are always giving up *something* -- so decide early on what you want *this* bike to excel at (you can always add more bikes later as your needs, desires, and riding style change) -- and they WILL change).

Use that decision to narrow down the list of potential bikes, then see which of those physically fits you (keeping in mind that it is easy to change bars, pegs, etc to tweak the ergonomics).

Awesome advice here Goodtimes, thank you for this...

I hope my previous post described this pretty well. Again multi day and communiting, open desert and dirt road with some highway time there. But I am a little scared of a bigger bike even though the 1200GS felt very good and manageable to me. Since I got into MTB good fit is really important to me as well and it needs to be large and comfortable and have the ability to carry cargo and weight but it would need to be plush enough that a little air even would be OK and the question is if the 650/700 Transalp/V-Strom bikes are all capable of that or if a built XR650 is more along the lines of the ticket... But for all I know I may hop on a 650 and find that it is not nearly enough bike.. We'll see...

Owyhee H

Adventurer
The transalp as far as I know has not been offered in NA for 20 years. They are great bikes but are older now and the ones here were 600's. Not knocking them but you cant get a new one. I have had a wide variety of DS bikes and would suggest you look at the DR650. It is a good compromise of on road while still being simple and maneuverable off road. BMW's are great STREET bikes(IMO), and I have owned them. There are a lot of great bikes but each has its own purpose. You need to decide what kind of riding you are going to do before you buy a bike. Keep the rubber side down....

RR1

Explorer
... the question is if the 650/700 Transalp/V-Strom bikes are all capable of that or if a built XR650 is more along the lines of the ticket... But for all I know I may hop on a 650 and find that it is not nearly enough bike.. We'll see...

More street go with the V-Strom, more dirt go with a XR650...or any other like model.

V-Stroms have smaller front wheel they tend not to roll over objects as well as a 21" wheel of a more dirt oriented XR. Also the V-Strom has a mag wheel it will feel (and is) more rigid compared to the "flexy" spoke wheel.

Trust me the XR 650 is plenty of bike, Johnny Campbell has won a lot of Baja races on that mount.

As for fitment, you can bar risers, thicker seats and lower foot pegs to "customize" to your body size.

xr650.jpg

KTM 640 ADV is good "compromise" bike too, I like them both on dirt and street. I can spend all day in either element.

1406d1215475445t-2007-ktm-640-adv-sale-right.jpg

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
KTM 640 ADV is good "compromise" bike too, I like them both on dirt and street. I can spend all day in either element.

The 640 is a good bike. Not so much fun on the freeway for sustained periods (of course, neither are any of the other 650CC dual sports . . .), and the service interval kind of sucks, but there is something about 'orange' in the dirt . . . :bike_rider:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
6'5"? I wish I could grow to 5'8!

If I didn't need a ladder I'd get an older KLR650 which is cheap enough to drop without wincing. Unless one prefers to cushion its fall, that is.

Once I can get the Triumph Scrambler out of my head I'll be getting a DR650. Or a Triumph Scrambler...

Cheers,
Graham

RR1

Explorer
I think the V-Strom uses the same motor as the SV650...some find them a little under powered. I do.

RR1

Explorer
The 640 is a good bike. Not so much fun on the freeway for sustained periods (of course, neither are any of the other 650CC dual sports . . .), and the service interval kind of sucks, but there is something about 'orange' in the dirt . . . :bike_rider:

Just about any bike is annoying on the freeways...not enough twisties.:ylsmoke:

Some complain that the 640 vibrates too much, Flex Bars can help.

Yeah "Orange" is ready to go for the dirt, very little if any modification needed to the suspension. I get the springs for my weight, set the sag, and swap in some high quality fork oil, and you're pretty much ready to go. If you're super picky plenty of suspension shops out there to fine tune it.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I was getting a new windshield put in this afternoon down in SLC so naturally I went to the store already.. They had a KLR650 in blue that I liked a lot as well as the XR650, the XR was a little taller out of the package and definitely more off road oriented. It would take some $$ to get it what I am looking for I think and its also more expensive. The KLR650 was still a little small for me but I really liked it a lot and sounds like they are pretty flexible on price which was already tempting but I'll need to hold off a little while... I think there are enough mods for this one as well that I probably could build it up a little taller. It was definitely a little more comfortable for sure...

What I really need to do now is actually ride them. Seems like getting test rides at a dealership doesn't happen any more... There are some pretty good deals in the local classifieds though it is spring... As psyched as I am maybe I'll wait until fall or wait until a good deal on something comes around...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94