Bike Racks

CLynn85

Explorer
Was looking for some ideas on this one. Suppose you have a truck, and a rooftent, where on earth would you put your bikes? I like the hitch receiver mounts but they severely limit your access to the bed. If it's a reg cab truck you can't really use thule racks over the cab. Chances are the rooftent will be over the bed.

Just curious what solutions ya'll may have come up with for this one. Been looking at trucks for a while but if I'm going on a long trip, I'd want my bikes with me as well as a rooftent.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
That's the sole reason that I don't use a rooftop tent, it reduces your ability to haul things like kayaks, bikes, building supplies on the roof. Depending on how wide your roof is and how wide your load bars are, you might be able to squeeze a tray in on the outside of a roof top tent. The hitch mount racks are easy to use in the sens that you don't have to lift the bike over your head, but not ideal for the fact that dust, mud, and debris cake onto your bike when driving. I'm really anal about my bikes and for long trips, keep them inside the vehicle, then locally put them on the roof rack. Since I added my ConFerr basket I lost the ability to use my bike trays. One of the things I'm designing for the spring is a way to utilize a front load bar in front of the sunroof that I can mount the fork mount clamps for bikes, a way to secure a canoe, and also route limb wires over and to the basket.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
No help on RTT specifically, I can run a Yakima on my 'Nest. But you can run a roof rack on a regular cab with flip open tent in the bed. I've done it with the 'Nest with a roof rack on the camper, a rack on the cab and a hitch mount (7 bikes and zero power!). Point the bike tray forward instead of back. You need the full length trays and you look like you have a pair of howitzers mounted, but it works. I also have a Thule hitch rack which I use for daily bike duty and it works fine. There are some fancy ones that swing out to the outside, which makes getting to the back very easy. I would look into one of them.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Not in the same boat but not far off. I added another set of bars to my system to distribute the weight, 2 of 3 bars the front and the rear are wider than the tent, therefore allowing additions to be made, I still use my receiver rack and a big chain, mostly because my roof has an awning on one side and a hi-lift on the other. Also depending on how much access you need to the bed would determine the rear rack. Yakima makes 2 kinds one that folds down http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=34 and another that folds to the side. http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=31.
P1070241.jpg

Image055.jpg

Aaron

teotwaki

Excelsior!
CLynn85 said:
Was looking for some ideas on this one. Suppose you have a truck, and a rooftent, where on earth would you put your bikes? I like the hitch receiver mounts but they severely limit your access to the bed. If it's a reg cab truck you can't really use thule racks over the cab. Chances are the rooftent will be over the bed.

Just curious what solutions ya'll may have come up with for this one. Been looking at trucks for a while but if I'm going on a long trip, I'd want my bikes with me as well as a rooftent.

A lot of hitch mount racks are hinged and tilt far enough to allow access to the back of your rig. The one I have swings down far enough that my hatchback can open and clear the bars of the bike.

\\'anderer

Adventurer
teotwaki said:
A lot of hitch mount racks are hinged and tilt far enough to allow access to the back of your rig. The one I have swings down far enough that my hatchback can open and clear the bars of the bike.

I have the same rack as above, made by Sportworks. They sold the rights to Thule, they call it the T2. I like this rack over my yakima roof rack. With the bikes removed I can open the tailgate on my truck. The bikes are also out of the way of any low branches, but the rear overhang can be a problem off road.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Thule 'generic' for various hatchbacks - very light weight & straps onto the hatch. Probably useless for your situation, unless a way could be brainstormed to attach it to your tailgate, ya never know....

As for my own expeditioning, the 3 inches of ground clearance of the ol' GTI here is one of the primary reasons why I got my Blazer Chalet last March.

GTI & Red Mtn Pass.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Carl,

Do you have the roof top tent already? Have you considered a Flip-Pac? I don't know if a Wildernest will fit your year of Tacoma

You can build a rack so the tent opens to the rear of the vehicle and put trays on either side. Be a bit wide, but, would work.

I don't care for the racks that go over the cab and attach to the hidden gutters, the feett of the rack are hell on the door seals.

Like what the others said, with a rear mounted rack. The bikes will get thrashed back there. You could cover them. Any serious wheeling, you are likely tear off the rack.

I have seen a guy with a regular camper shell, make a tray that goes at the level of the top of the bed side. So the bike would be beside the camper shell. Another solution of putting too much crap in the bed and on the roof...:D

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
This just in!

I have been a cyclist for over 14 years and have never killed a bicycle. I posted about my rear rack and roof rack configurations, an added down side to the rear rack is you can back into things. I backed my Ellsworth Sub 22 into a small Oak and bent it beyond repair. The tree pushed the bike and made it bend around the rack, scratched the truck lightly (no biggie) but now I'm out $1400 (New frame Ellsworth Enlightenment). Fawk not cool I didnt even see this little tree!

Aaron

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That stinks! Ellsworth has a crash replacement program, don't they? Santa Cruz gave me a new front triangle under warranty for my Blur when it broke. I would assume Ellsworth would be as generous.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the crash replacement is 10% below cost.

Yes, Ellsworth does have a crash replacement.

My good freind is the local dealer here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz