replacement Wildernest spring

sambo.cox

Alright guys, now you're making me wonder. I'll have to look at mine to be sure. My camper is getting a bit of fiberglass work done right now. It may be a few weeks before I get it back. I'll keep you updated.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Alright guys, now you're making me wonder. I'll have to look at mine to be sure. My camper is getting a bit of fiberglass work done right now. It may be a few weeks before I get it back. I'll keep you updated.
I'm just up in Ft. Collins, nothing like taking an actual spring to AAAA and telling them "Make me exactly this." Between us we probably have them all.

sambo.cox

Hey guys,
Got my topper back. I was mistaken before. I need a front spring. The original picture I posted was correct spring. But it's a front spring.
Dave posted a pic of a remade spring that was for back.
So it sounds like Dave and gwittman, you'd each take one? Anybody else?
Let me know
-sc

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Hey guys,
Got my topper back. I was mistaken before. I need a front spring. The original picture I posted was correct spring. But it's a front spring.
Dave posted a pic of a remade spring that was for back.
So it sounds like Dave and gwittman, you'd each take one? Anybody else?
Let me know
-sc
Affirmative, I'll be in for one.

But do need to make sure, you are making these? This is what I need.
20180109_133600.jpg

gwittman

Adventurer
Yes, I am still in for one. Hopefully we can get enough interest to keep the price reasonable. I will go the Wildernest website to see if I can perk up any interest there.

sambo.cox

Alright,
I'm gonna order springs tomorrow.
Looks like we've got 3 or 4: mine, DaveInDenver, gwittman, and possibly JM Wands. So that's $100 a piece plus shipping (about $17)
I'll let you know when I've received them. Should be close to 2 months.

Olasbella

I’m in need of both front and back springs. I have the smaller Wildernest that fits on a Tacoma, the back spring was never there, and the front one just snapped last week. I know the front is different from the back, I’m definitely interested in getting either one if you’re planning to order a few of either. Please email me laurenebaldwin@yahoo.com

sambo.cox

I’m in need of both front and back springs. I have the smaller Wildernest that fits on a Tacoma, the back spring was never there, and the front one just snapped last week. I know the front is different from the back, I’m definitely interested in getting either one if you’re planning to order a few of either. Please email me laurenebaldwin@yahoo.com

Olasbella, I'll add you to the list. I'm hoping to have them by early May. I'll contact everybody once I receive them.
- Sam

sambo.cox

WOOOO!! I've got the springs! They look great.
One issue: They came without holes in the end. But, no worries. I've got the solution. I bought a new 1/8" drill bit, a little oil and drilled a hole. It takes about 15 min. I attached some pictures below.

So here's what I'm thinking:
Right now we've got four people in need of springs. I had said $100/spring and $17 for shipping, add in another $3 (It'll take a couple bits for all of them) and I'll drill the holes.
$120 total

So if you want a spring you can pay my through Venmo, Paypal or go old school and mail me a check.
Private message me and we'll make arrangements and exchange info.
- Sam

20180523_170423.jpg No hole
20180523_154637.jpg Hole drilled

Last edited:

sambo.cox

Here's the whole project:
Springs came without holes:
20180523_170423.jpg
Bought new 1/8" bit for hardened steel. Clamped down spring on drill press. Drill at a low speed with some oil constantly dripped to keep cool and lubricated. Takes time, but pretty easy.
20180523_154732.jpg
You'll need a 3/8" washer and 1/8" cotter pin, to lock in post.
20180523_154717.jpg
You can't just slide it in the sleeve though.
20180523_155838.jpg
I used a ladder to hold up the lid to take pressure off large bolt holding main upright. Took the bolt out and lifted center tent post, so I could slide the spring in the lower hole and upper sleeve.
20180523_155854.jpg
It took a little twisting and maneuvering to get the hole lined up with the bolt again. Then put the bolt/nut back together.
20180523_161612.jpg
Slide on the washer and bent the cotter pin into position.
20180523_163432.jpg
No worries. Easy project.
-sc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles