EarthRoamer XV-JP Hot Water

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
I noticed that the EarthRoamer XV-JP advertised a 4 gallon engine heated hot water tank. Does anyone know what they used? Was it a commercially available unit or something they cooked up in house? Additionally, where was it mounted? Was it mounted in the engine compartment, under the vehicle, or in the interior?

Just curious on what the hot water solution was in the XV-JP.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I believe it is behind the passenger seat...
Frank knows his stuff. It's behind the passenger's seat with the long axis from side to side. It is far enough forward to have some slight effect on the passenger's seat travel and seatback recline.

Scott Brady

Founder
Adventure Trailers also has a 2.5 gallon, super sexy unit from Germany. It also lacks the failure-prone immersion heater element and seal.

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the info guys!!! I've been thinking about a hot water solution for my JK and figured why reinvent the wheel if someone has already engineered a proven solution.

I've talked to Mario about the magical hot water bottles and they sound like a great solution, just need to find a place to mount it.

Couple more questions if you'll allow me to pick your brains :sombrero:

Where does isotherm tap into the coolant system? In the engine compartment, driver side, between the radiator and engine or some place else...

Do you have to do anything special in the winter time when the temp goes below freezing and the vehicle may be parked for a day or two? Any worries with water freezing in a line and burst a pipe(hose)?

Thanks,
Jason

kjp1969

Explorer
Thanks for all of the info guys!!! I've been thinking about a hot water solution for my JK and figured why reinvent the wheel if someone has already engineered a proven solution.

I've talked to Mario about the magical hot water bottles and they sound like a great solution, just need to find a place to mount it.

Couple more questions if you'll allow me to pick your brains :sombrero:

Where does isotherm tap into the coolant system? In the engine compartment, driver side, between the radiator and engine or some place else...

Do you have to do anything special in the winter time when the temp goes below freezing and the vehicle may be parked for a day or two? Any worries with water freezing in a line and burst a pipe(hose)?

Thanks,
Jason

I don't know how the pros do it, but I'd tap off the heater hoses with a couple of T fittings and a valve from an older car- I had a '66 Bronco with a cable actuated heater valve that wouldn't be difficult to adapt to just about anything. You'd want to plumb the T's before the OEM heater valve so that it would work with the car heater switched off. In case of a trail leak, it would be easy to bypass and return to stock.

As for freezing, the coolant lines should be taken care of with your antifreeze, but the tank should be drained.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As for freezing, the coolant lines should be taken care of with your antifreeze, but the tank should be drained.
I'm thinking that most XV-JP owners, with the hot water tank and the big potable water tank inside the cabin, will probably not drain the plumbing system and will instead provide a little bit of heat to keep the inside from freezing. If not, though, I agree, it's the water tanks that would be the problem, not the coolant hoses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior