My Kitchen Box concept - Comments please.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Greetings all.

After seeing some of the great ideas in this forum, I was inspired to design my own Kitchen box. I have been working on plans for my own Ktichen/Chuck box now for a little while. I have 3D CAD software and have a design that I think will work. I would like some feedback from the guru's out there.

Here goes:

ChuckBox.jpg

overlander

Expedition Leader
I think it's great! where do you keep your place settings? (cutlery, plates, bowls, etc)

Update: Ok, I see the bugaboo has the place settings in it. nice.

JJBiggs

I think it's great! where do you keep your place settings? (cutlery, plates, bowls, etc)

Update: Ok, I see the bugaboo has the place settings in it. nice.

Yep...got a GREAT deal on the Bugaboo set from Amazon. Nice and compact.

Here's a rendered view (with shadows):

ChuckBox2.jpg

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
Yep...got a GREAT deal on the Bugaboo set from Amazon. Nice and compact.

Please write up a review on the bugaboo. that looks like a new product on the market from them for car camping, and I'm seriously considering it versus the Snow Peak set.

JJBiggs

Please write up a review on the bugaboo. that looks like a new product on the market from them for car camping, and I'm seriously considering it versus the Snow Peak set.

Sure thing. I can give you the nitty gritty now.

Overall - nice solid components. The plastic items seem durable and robust. I like the fact that the cups are in two parts. 1 part for hot liquids the other for cold. The pans are of the non-stick variety. While not a big fan of the chemicals used, I will for the time being. The foldable, metal pot holder is brilliant and appears to be really solid. Can't wait to see how it goes onsite. The final all together, compact size was very appealing. (9.5" dia x 6" tall)

Hope that helps.

KANZ

Looks great. Nice rendering.
Please keep in mind that large kitchen boxes which are also very heavy (yours seems to be around 80 lbs loaded), need two people to get moved around, or you will start hating it after a while. I went through this when I had a 3-burner Field Kitchen box about the size of yours. It was great for longer trips, where we didn’t change the location often , but I stopped using it on weekend trips, because it was just too much. Then I designed a smaller one, so that one person can carry it relatively convenient in front of their chest. This one works now for every occasion. You might also want to review the location of your stove. During the cooking process you block partially access to the items in the kitchen box.

Best wishes,

JJBiggs

Looks great. Nice rendering.
Please keep in mind that large kitchen boxes which are also very heavy (yours seems to be around 80 lbs loaded), need two people to get moved around, or you will start hating it after a while. I went through this when I had a 3-burner Field Kitchen box about the size of yours....

Thanks Kanz. That's what I was afraid of. Weight. I have access to some Carbon Fiber sheets. Very strong and extremely lightweight. I was considering it, but thought the wood would be a nice touch. Hmmm...

overlander

Expedition Leader
I was thinking the same thing with respect to weight when I saw your 1/2" ply requirement. I have a kitchenbox that got from a friend that is similar in size but uses 1/4" ply, and the weight is erroding the novelty of it. It's too heavy to lift/remove from a roof rack, so now it must take up precious internal space. I'm thinking something lighter and smaller; perhaps more modular, which is why I am gravitating to the wolf boxes.

If you go smaller and more modular, you also have more packing flexibility than one big beast that everything else must fit around.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I like the design, it's similar to what I'm looking at doing...one thing you might want to think of is the height - not sure what you are going to carry this in, but an M416 w/lid can only carry ~18" height...I think a lot of other trailers are similar size, might not be an issue now, but 5-10 years down the line? something to think about...

JJBiggs

I like the design, it's similar to what I'm looking at doing...one thing you might want to think of is the height - not sure what you are going to carry this in, but an M416 w/lid can only carry ~18" height...I think a lot of other trailers are similar size, might not be an issue now, but 5-10 years down the line? something to think about...

I understand where you are coming from. Regarding transport - I have ton of space in the Land Rover. The height is more for me. My wife and I are quite tall. I am 6'7" and my wife is 6'1". The height will be just about perfect for us when placed on a picnic table or 30" high collapsible one.

JJBiggs

Kitchen box concept - ROUND II.

Here is the latest. The darker, pear wood color is 1/4" ply whereas the lighter color is 1/2" ply. I will be going with birch and likely clear coating it.

The slots on the top serve as handles when it is all packed up and the holes on the middle vertical is for weight reduction. It reduced in size a touch. Final dimensions, 29" wide x 14" deep x 22' high

KitchenBoxII.jpg

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I'm not a woodworker and have very little experience beyond rough framing. I have a concern, though, about the lid of your kitchen box.

What method are you going to use to make that right angle? Seems to me that plywood would not have sufficient strength when screwed "into" the end grain. Am I overthinking it?

Nice design, btw.:coffeedrink:

JJBiggs

Not sure yet. That's the last bit to work through. I might do a piano hinge there as well.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I like round 2 better, it gives you more working space on the flip down shelf. Have you thought about making detachable legs for it to make it free standing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94