NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra

zidaro

Explorer
Do you get and grief at the border bring the dogs through, or do you just bring a recent vet check document?

No grief whatsoever! So far 4 trips with her and no questions ever. But, we do get a Vet certified form locally in US that verifies her vaccines and health. So far that has been unnecessary.

I will say, traveling with a dog in Baja is great.
First, it is a HUGE deterrent, the culture of Mex. is very cautious of the perro- she keeps Policia and all others from "exploring" the cab of our truck at all times.
Second, and best- kids love her once the "perro no muerde" concerns are defused. Opens up a positive social environment. She's a total happy wiggle butt

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
No grief whatsoever! So far 4 trips with her and no questions ever. But, we do get a Vet certified form locally in US that verifies her vaccines and health. So far that has been unnecessary.

First, it is a HUGE deterrent, the culture of Mex. is very cautious of the perro- she keeps Policia and all others from "exploring" the cab of our truck at all times.
Second, and best- kids love her once the "perro no muerde" concerns are defused. Opens up a positive social environment. She's a total happy wiggle butt

Awesome Thanks!!!!!!!! Adventures are just better with my long tailed companion around to help. I did not take him on my first BAJA trip and wish I had.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

I was out at Pt. San Carlos in 1985 and some locals brought their Cocker Spaniel by. Cute dog who learned to avoid cholla cactus the hard way. The one guy clamped down on the mouth and I proceeded to pull out scores of needles. It was a male and he had run over the plant apparently. We got them all out and the poor dog just collapsed. The guys thanked me and headed back to town. You don't see pedigree dogs down there much. I suspect a gringo had brought him down and he wandered.

bobmono

Observer
any further feedback on your solar setup? im looking to do a similar setup in my tc650, im just not sure what size solar system i need...

anything you would do different with your setup?

greengreer

Adventurer
Great thread!

endurroburro- Can you tell me a little more about you're bike carrier with the swing out? I've been wanting to figure out a swinging carrier of some sort for door access. Hows the rackattack hold up when in the open position?

enduroburro

Great thread!

endurroburro- Can you tell me a little more about you're bike carrier with the swing out? I've been wanting to figure out a swinging carrier of some sort for door access. Hows the rackattack hold up when in the open position?
So far, so good. The versahaul/rackattach combo was almost a must since the bike wouldn’t even fit On the versahaul alone without the bars touching the camper. I think I’m close to maxing the rakattach out with my bike (around 275 lbs). But it works well and will swing out and back loaded just fine. Makes it easy to get in and out of the camper for sure!

greengreer

Adventurer
So far, so good. The versahaul/rackattach combo was almost a must since the bike wouldn’t even fit On the versahaul alone without the bars touching the camper. I think I’m close to maxing the rakattach out with my bike (around 275 lbs). But it works well and will swing out and back loaded just fine. Makes it easy to get in and out of the camper for sure!
Good to hear, thanks!

Willsfree

How's the versahaul/rackattach combo working out? Does it seem like a solid system for rough road Baja miles?
I'm looking at putting one on my Express AWD van for a small dual sport. 1up USA sent me the following:

• Carrying capacity is 375 lb
  • Unit weight is 75 lb
  • Only available in Large Passenger swing
  • Secondary bracket (Inline or Offset) must be installed with Moto RakAttach

enduroburro

How's the versahaul/rackattach combo working out? Does it seem like a solid system for rough road Baja miles?
I'm looking at putting one on my Express AWD van for a small dual sport. 1up USA sent me the following:

• Carrying capacity is 375 lb
  • Unit weight is 75 lb
  • Only available in Large Passenger swing
  • Secondary bracket (Inline or Offset) must be installed with Moto RakAttach

Haven’t gone to Baja with it yet. But I’ve taken it on some rough trails out here in the Sierras and desert and definitely trust the setup. Try and get a anti sway bracket that will fit well with the rakattach. The versahaul one doesn’t fit on it.

8nick8

Hey All, New to the forum and just got caught up on all of the posts dating way back. So great to see all the Northstar campers on so many different setups! Looks like there haven't been any posts for a while, but figured I will add some more material! I have had a 1997 Northstar TC650 for about 7 months now. It was being hauled around by my ol' faithful, 2003 Toyota Tundra up until recently. I had an Icon leaf pack and Firestone ride rite air bags with lots of pressure in them to keep things feeling solid with the camper. I bought the camper from someone who had added wood to the bottom to clear their truck bed which is why it sat so high in my 03 Tundra. Biggest reason I didn't change the fitment is because I knew I was going to be buying a new truck. I just recently purchased a 2020 Tundra crew cab with the 6.5' bed. New front Torklift mounts are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed as I will be putting the camper on the new truck next weekend for a trip to the desert. For now here are some pics of the old setup.

Near cottonwood campground in J-Tree
IMG_2941 copy.jpg

Lake Mary in mammoth lakes area
184C7207-2A0D-47FE-BBA4-17B20665E9C1 copy.jpg

Zmanfj40

Hey All, New to the forum and just got caught up on all of the posts dating way back. So great to see all the Northstar campers on so many different setups! Looks like there haven't been any posts for a while, but figured I will add some more material! I have had a 1997 Northstar TC650 for about 7 months now. It was being hauled around by my ol' faithful, 2003 Toyota Tundra up until recently. I had an Icon leaf pack and Firestone ride rite air bags with lots of pressure in them to keep things feeling solid with the camper. I bought the camper from someone who had added wood to the bottom to clear their truck bed which is why it sat so high in my 03 Tundra. Biggest reason I didn't change the fitment is because I knew I was going to be buying a new truck. I just recently purchased a 2020 Tundra crew cab with the 6.5' bed. New front Torklift mounts are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed as I will be putting the camper on the new truck next weekend for a trip to the desert. For now here are some pics of the old setup.

Near cottonwood campground in J-Tree
View attachment 775281

Lake Mary in mammoth lakes area
View attachment 775290
I have the same camper,1997 TC650, it's a project I'm working on right now. Yours looks like it's in great shape.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles