Fuel for Coleman 200K lantern

Tim A

Adventurer
I just jumped on a local deal for a Coleman model # 220K lantern. Brief internet research tells me it's circa 1985.

It's not quite what I expected in that it takes liquid fuel vs. the 16.4oz propane cylinder. Well I bought it anyway thinking that at least it would look good sitting on my mantel. (pun intended:coffeedrink:)

Anyone use a similar lantern? What kind of fuel options do I have?

Edit: I goofed on the thread title...it should read "Coleman 220K"

hattrik21

Adventurer
I'd wager my bet that it uses the coleman white gas fuel that you can get at most outdoor based stores to Walmart.

Tim A

Adventurer
Hello from a fellow Texan. I looked up the white gas on the Coleman and I'll wager my bet that you're correct. Thanks!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I don't need to wager ... I'm not a Texan, ... but you're both right. Takes Coleman white fuel available at almost all grocery stores in the picnic, matches, fire log area.

D

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Yep, just googled the lantern....white gas will do the job...will also use the basic mantles.....:campfire:
Think I have one sitting in a box out in the garage....along with the other dozen or so lanterns in various stage of repair/reuse...

Unleaded

I run regular unleaded in my lantern and stove. I have the older versions too and it works just fine. The only problem I have had is that it does not seem to cook as hot as white gas (Coleman fuel) but that may just be my way of looking at things.

If only my vehicle ran as well on white gas. I ran out years ago and had nothing but Coleman fuel to put in the tank and was 15 miles from the nearest gas station. I threw it in the tank and made it to the next station although the engine was pinging due to the lower octane.

Kevin

mudbutt

Explorer
It's not quite what I expected in that it takes liquid fuel vs. the 16.4oz propane cylinder.

In my opinion you made a better choice. The propane lanterns eat up cylinders like crazy. At least my brother's does. Have no idea what brand his is tho. I have the retro Coleman single mantle gas.

When we camped in death valley, we used both lanterns for 3 nights. By the 3rd night, he was on his second cylinder and I still had over half a tank of fuel left.

Last edited:

Byronic_Man

Sorry to jump in so late, but...

I just jumped on a local deal for a Coleman model # 220K lantern. Brief internet research tells me it's circa 1985.

It's not quite what I expected in that it takes liquid fuel vs. the 16.4oz propane cylinder. Well I bought it anyway thinking that at least it would look good sitting on my mantel. (pun intended:coffeedrink:)

Anyone use a similar lantern? What kind of fuel options do I have?

Edit: I goofed on the thread title...it should read "Coleman 220K"

Guys, the "K" stands for Kerosene. Use Coleman_fuel/naptha/white_gas, or parafin_based_clear_fuel at your own peril...
Also, Kerosene is a lot cheaper than white_gas. Especially if you can find the clear stuff (K1 grade or close) in bulk.

perkj

Explorer
Guys, the "K" stands for Kerosene. Use Coleman_fuel/naptha/white_gas, or parafin_based_clear_fuel at your own peril...
Also, Kerosene is a lot cheaper than white_gas. Especially if you can find the clear stuff (K1 grade or close) in bulk.

K does not stand for Kero, it is simply the generation indicator for the 220 series over the years, i.e. 220, 220A, 220B, 220C, etc, etc. The 220's never came in kero form from the factory (though they can be converted to kero). All 220's are WG/Coleman fuel. The only kero models from Coleman are the 201, 249, 237, 639, and 214. there are a few others but these are the most prevalent in the US.

Here is a link to the manual for the 220K: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KCkO4KV_XGmzGgA&bvm=bv.62922401,d.aWc&cad=rja

AndrewP

Explorer
K does not stand for Kero, it is simply the generation indicator for the 220 series over the years, i.e. 220, 220A, 220B, 220C, etc, etc. The 220's never came in kero form from the factory (though they can be converted to kero). All 220's are WG/Coleman fuel. The only kero models from Coleman are the 201, 249, 237, 639, and 214. there are a few others but these are the most prevalent in the US.

100% right. It's a white gas lantern with spares and replacement parts widely available. It's the last of the 220s and after this the full size double mantle lanterns were replaced with the 290 and 295. You can burn regular unleaded gas (RUG) in it if you have to, but the generator will work longer and better if you use white gas (Coleman Fuel, CF). The 220 lanterns are Coleman's common work horse lantern. It will last longer than you will, and provide great service.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ditto the above. The 220 is the most common two mantle lantern Coleman made.

To the OP: There's no need to look on the internet to see when your lantern was made. Flip it upside down and look at the bottom of the fount (gas tank.) There will be two numbers there. First one will be 1 - 12 and that's the month, 2nd will be the last two digits of the year.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I switched to propane years ago for economic reasons. not sure about today but I can remember when coleman fuel was approaching 10 bucks a gallon. this is when propane was less than 2 bucks a gallon. I use a bulk tank. like I said I don't know about todays price's and I do know the white gas has more btu's per pound than propane but propane is still pretty cheap. btw I also have used coleman fuel in my gas tank, got me to a station. highdesertranger

AndrewP

Explorer
I switched to propane years ago for economic reasons. not sure about today but I can remember when coleman fuel was approaching 10 bucks a gallon. this is when propane was less than 2 bucks a gallon. I use a bulk tank. like I said I don't know about todays price's and I do know the white gas has more btu's per pound than propane but propane is still pretty cheap. btw I also have used coleman fuel in my gas tank, got me to a station. highdesertranger

These days from a pure monetary standpoint, bulk propane is a bit cheaper, but propane lanterns are made cheaper and don't tend to last.

You unfortunately need to carry a propane pressure tank, and a large one to make bulk fuel purchases cheaper. The small cylinders are waaay more expensive than any amount of Coleman Fuel, I suspect that's how most people run their camping lanterns.

Gasoline has some distinct advantages when off-roading. It's easy to carry, it will work below 32F just fine, and most importantly, if you run out of white gas, the gasoline in your fuel tank works fine.

And that's not to mention that the gasoline lanterns last for generations. The two I take with me were both made in the 1940s-both work as new. It's also possible to run more modern gasoline lanterns that can run on $3.50 unleaded gas all the time.

For the original poster-the real weakness these days of fueled lanterns is the mantles. New Coleman mantles are a gossamer junk reflections of their past selves. If you want mantles that will last while camping you need to use Peerless mantels. The guy that runs Peerless bought Coleman's old equipment and opened up a mantle factory in the Phillippines. Those mantles are brighter and much tougher than the Coleman variety.

taugust

Adventurer
For the original poster-the real weakness these days of fueled lanterns is the mantles. New Coleman mantles are a gossamer junk reflections of their past selves. If you want mantles that will last while camping you need to use Peerless mantels. The guy that runs Peerless bought Coleman's old equipment and opened up a mantle factory in the Phillippines. Those mantles are brighter and much tougher than the Coleman variety.

Thanks for this info. I will order some now. The Coleman mantles don't hold up to off road activity, especially washboard roads. Perhaps the Peerless will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior