CampRight SUV Tent review

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I know there are a couple folks out there that are interested in the SUV tents (like me). I decided to pull the trigger on the Rightline Campright SUV tent. The manufacturer's website is the following:

http://www.rightlinegear.com/suvtents.html

Here are my notes from my initial test setup:

Construction:

Typical present day man-made materials. No-see-um mesh screens with large easily accessible entry doors. Most major seams are waterproofed and seam sealed. One thing I was very impressed with was the "bath tub" 130G PE floor. The sides come up from the ground a good 6-8". Very good thing for keeping dry. Hard to find that these days.

Tent Specs:

Dimensions: 10’ L x 10’ W x 7.5’ H
Screen room Dimensions: 6’ L x 7’ W

Pros: Love the overall size and height. Nice and big, with plenty of room for gear and sleeping quarters. The attachment to the rig is fairly straight forward, but took some tweaking on my end due to my roof rack and the LR3's fender flares. I set the whole thing up in about 20min. The tent itself was up in about 5-10min.

Cons: Not sure about the overall toughness for the long haul. The rear hatch on the rig really stretches the material at certain points. While nearly all the seams are sealed, I will be giving the tent a full waterproofing to be certain. The rain fly - is a joke. It barely covers the overhead screen mesh. A good solid, windy bit of rain would get in. As my usual rule for setting up my camp, I purchased a 16' Kelty Noah's tarp with 8' poles to provide additional rain/sun protection.

Here are some crappy cell phone shots. (I'll post better shots later).

LR3-Tent2.jpg

LR3-Tent1.jpg

Thinking along these lines also for a tent/quasi-camper. How has this held up. All of the documentation I see now says no rain fly, which does make me wonder about how well the entire thing is sealed and how long it will stay sealed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior