$6k dd/expo vehicle?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Click the link in my sig to see my $5k truck. Not for everyone but I really enjoy it.

DSC01255.jpg

For the money your talking, this looks great!! And its ready to go. AND for sale.....

Louie

78Bronco

Explorer
I would look for a '96 Bronco. They are cheap and easy to work on. The front coil suspension provides a better ride and can easily be converted to a solid axle using a 78/79 front axle and radius setup. Plenty of space.

cowboy63645

Adventurer
One truck I havent seen mentioned yet is a 94-newer dodge 1/2 ton. You get a solid front axle, V-8 power and enough room to seat 6 as long as you get the extended cab version. It will haul a decent load without any special hitches or suspension upgrades, parts are everywhere for them, and they can be had cheap. Plus there is a hugh aftermarket for them.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
MMMMMMMmmmmmmm

If you aren't afraid to build stuff yourself.....

78-79 Ford Bronco
swap in a 4bt cummins
enjoy 25-30mpg bone simple ultra reliable work on it yourself affordable fun.

I would start with a clean southwest bought Bronco. You might be able to find a really clean one with a tired motor for very cheap. The 78-79 big Bronco shares a LOT of parts with the 73-79 ford trucks so parts are very well supported. The stock granny 4-speed np435 transmission is about indestructible. The np205 transfer case is all gear, all metal, and is very very strong. The 9" rear axle is a good start without going overkill. The high pinion D44 front is also a great axle and much stronger than most. It can also hold up the 700+lb 4bt Cummins without trying too hard. I ran one of these front axles with an all iron 390 FE motor that is about 750lbs for over 15 years. It held up GREAT.

If you can find the right 4bt Cummins donor kit you can get a bellhousing that bolts right up to the np435 transmission in the Bronco. The radiator in the Bronco can be upgraded to a 4-core HD unit for a decent price. Motor mounts would have to be custom, but that isn't the end of the world. Someone might make a pair now.

In order to run the Cummins with the 4-speed and no overdrive you need to increase tire size. I would suggest running a set of 37" tires. The gearing would work out pretty dang good at that point. You would have to start in granny most times, but 4th would be a workable highway gear and should net decent mileage. The stock 3.54 gears would work just fine for the Cummins and big tires.

The Bronco is pretty easy to modify for running 37s with little to no lift. You might want to build a simple 1" spacer to fit under the front spring mounts on the radius arm to level the vehicle. You could also do new springs if you want to spend the money. The front and rear fenders can be cut out really easily for the big tires. The inner fender structure is far enough out of the way you shouldn't have to mess with it one you remove the plastic liners if they are still there.

Thats my idea......:)

Good luck finding something.

strider3700

Adventurer
I've got to vote for something like rot box. I was in pretty much the same situation last year - 1 kid, 1 on the way, 1 dog, 1 wife, too much crap and a desire to get away from it all.

A diesel wasn't doable on my budget so I ended up with a 96/97 f350 long box crew cab with the 5.8 with low km. I immediately replaced the tires and my $5000 budget was gone but had a good truck. Since then I've sunk way too much money into the brakes and added a canopy but other then that it's been just fine other then the mileage. I got 14mpg on a tank about a month ago and was jumping for joy. big trucks drink lots.

It's nice to have two car seats and still have space for 3 adults comfortably 4 if someone wants to squeeze between the kids. Also with the canopy I just throw everything in the back and off we go.

i would really enjoy a 4 bt bronco but don't have any where to do such a swap. ilike your idea but it's sjust not feasible right now.

i have thought about the 94 and up dodges. i've tried to find a ext. cab, gas motor, 3/4 ton with a 5 speed. theres a few around but are pretty beat.

a 96/97 350 ford with a gas motor would work. i've always liked the 460. once again though, hard to find.

i don't know if i had mentioned it before, but i'm from central wv. east coast rust is the norm. i do realize that there si a good chance i will have to travel for the right truck. but driving from cali is probably not going to feasible. thus making the search harder.

does any one know if the drivers seat on a 96 bronco tilts to gain full access to the back like the pass. side? my buddy has an 85 and only the pass. side tilts up for access to the rear seats. this could be a huge pain with 2 car seats. i like the bronco but don't know if i could overcome that for the next 3 or 4 years.

Rot Box

Explorer
i would really enjoy a 4 bt bronco but don't have any where to do such a swap. ilike your idea but it's sjust not feasible right now.

While I won't argue that the 4BT is the better of the two motors why not a 6.2 Diesel Blazer (82-91)? Before I decided to go with my big F350 I was looking heavily into the Diesel Blazers. With a 3/4 ton axle swap they would be very durable and really take a beating. Used turbochargers pop up now and again for well under $500 if you became unsatisfied with power output... Just a thought.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
on my 96 it was only the passenger side.

I would spend the money and look for a clean s/w vehicle.

just buying it out here and taking the trouble to bring it back, would be worth it.

it would be worth that much more if you wanted to sell it later down the road.

plus you have a cancer free truck to start.

Id lean toward a suburban. pre 91 . I like ntsqd(?spelling) sub. already has some upgrades , 3/4 axles on 1/2 (good ride) etc, needs some paint and maybe tires. he asking a very fair price. (2500) spend the money on a plane ticket (400), buy tires (800), drive it home (400), get it painted at a 1 day paint place (800) = 4900.

have 1k left for emergency/upgrades. its in the for sale section here

I just sold a no rust 86 diesel sub with 4" lift (still needed tires/ac fixed)
the trucks are out there.

the 6.2 diesel sub I sold had 280k miles on it and broke the crank (replaced the whole engine with a low mile take out)
I tore down the motor for giggles and there was NO wear in the cylinders NO ridge or anything. I was impressed.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
looked through all 13 pages of the for salel and could not find the sub you talking about. do you have a lnk?

Not link savvy, but if you do the "search forum" option in top right corner and enter "suburban" as search word it is 8th on the list... "91 1/2 ton suburban"
It looks good. I'll sell you my 94 Dodge 2500 and buy it myself! I think that something like that will be a great rig for you. I commuted 70 miles a day over mountain highways in my 89 1/2 ton Sub and it was great. You are higher up the food chain than most vehicles on the road, and with minimal investment in K&N filter and a free flowing exhaust, they get reasonable mileage. And parts are so cheap they almost pay YOU to take 'em! I also agree that a one-way ticket to the s.w. is worth every penny. I try to buy all my vehicles in Or, Ca, Az, or Nv. Texas is to far for me but the hotbed of deals from what I hear. Good luck with your search.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
the blazers have 10 bolts front and rear with 3.08 gears. they will get 20 mpg thou.

only the pickups have the dana 60/14 bolt with detoits and they have 4.56 gears.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Seems like a lot of people are talking about the mega heavy trucks.

I guess I will toss in my two cents.

I have owned a really very nice blazer, it was great, beautiful condition, and did its job very well. I really enjoyed having that vehicle. When it went the way of all the earth I had a few different cars, and now I have a WJ Jeep. WOW that thing is like cheating! It goes everywhere I want with a 2" buget boost lift ($150 installs in about two hours if you are slow) and some JKS Disconnects for the swaybar (about $100 and again installs in about an hour if you are slow). This thing is quiet inside, it drives really nice, it is extremely comfortable, the sound system is nice, oh and you can HEAR it when you are driving down the road.

I have had to do VERY little with it beyond basic preventative maintenance, and I have a very high mileage jeep.

The "major" issuses with the WJ are the headlights get foggy after a while $60.oo to replace (per) and the power windows have a plastic clip that holds the cables inside which can break easily (about $50-100 to replace and an easy job).

If you get into the mega nice ones and in the 03/04 years there is the issue of the heat blend door. Do your reading on this, if you get one of those jeeps just find one that has had the work done already because it is about a $2k job at the stealerships.

Another bonus about this jeep is that it is the newest vehicle in the price range you are looking for. That means you are going to have to do less to it than the others (in general).

I would also consider a ZJ jeep.

For Mileage the econemy goes, from worst to best...

ZJ V8 (fairly mid range mileage, not much worse than the I-6)
WJ/ZJ I-6 IO get between 12-14 city and up to 17 HWY
WJ V8 17 city and 24 HWY. These are not exaggerated either, my folks have one and it is great!

Last thing, IF You want to modify this vehicle such things are prolific, to say the least, in the industry. Also as so many people modify them, parts for stock jeeps are also rather prolific.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier