Need rugged backpack

ChrisMartin

I want a top loading backpack for a hiking trip. Just want to clarify that I am not looking for rucksacks that you see most backpackers carrying around with them. What I need is a rugged backpack that can hold a little more than a daypack.

wagsww3

Explorer
packs

I use a bunch of Arc'teryx stuff and love it. But my next pack is a TAD gear pack. The ones available now are awesome and Pat showed me two of them that are coming out with in Sept. Different padding on the back panel. Very well built and versatile.

ronburgandy

Observer
Bump ARCTERYX the new ones weight less than the old ones but are still rugged, but i prefer the older ones, made of COURDURA. I like the 80 but is to big for most shorter trips, the 65 is about right, just my .02
cheers

djrez4

Adventurer
Another Arc'teryx Bora 80 user here. It's an amazing pack.

Those Mystery Ranch packs look like the old Dana Designs Terraplane packs.

Trailpsycho

Observer
Gregory makes good packs. Now keep in mind that they make several lines. Buy higher end and you will be happy. I have a 6K+ cubic in Gregory Robson (bought it in 97 so its 13 yrs old still looks and functions like new with probably approaching 200 nights and and 8 or 9 plane flights). It was 2nd from their top of the line back in the day (1 model slightly larger the "Denali"), but its been one of the better investments I have ever made.

Arcteryx is great stuff too.
Osprey is great.
I am partial to Gregory for packs.
Mountain Hardware also makes excellent gear, but they only offer a few packs.

Find a good independant backpacking store and check out what they have. Look into getting a larger packbag and switching out a smaller (medium harness, if necessary). Test fit it weighed down with 50-65 lbs...it may be more than what you think you will carry, but my packs tend to run heavy by the time I load up the booze and the gallon of beer... I also solo alot...so I have to carry everything...when I go with my wife or other friends, I also carry more of the gear...I dont mind and I dont want to hear anyone else *****.

Look for quality of materials. Lightweight is great, but you pack will get dragged, thrown, dropped, rubbed on rocks, briars, trees...you want durability. The single most important design element is the harness. Look in person and online at how the various harness systems function. There is usually a significant difference between low, mid and high end harnesses...this is where the comfort comes in, dont cheap out...you wont be happy, your significant other wont be happy either...and discomfort is all that separates an amazing adventure or trek from a nightmare outing. If you think you are serious or might be serious about packing, invest in a quality, high-end pack...it will last and you will be more comfortable when you do venture out. And just because you can carry 6500 cubic inches of gear doesnt mean you have to....you just might, b/c you want to have your stuff, you can (b/c its comfy) and you may need the room initially until you start to upgrade the rest of your gear to lighter, more compact, better quality pieces.

As well, a larger pack can be used for a weekend or a week. A weekend pack cant be modified (or shouldnt be) to carry gear for a week.

Go high end like the Arct. Bora 80 or 95 or a comparable Gregory (not sure what their offerings are these days)...just checked and they still make the Denali Pro which is basically identical to the Robson that I have...still same design-different colors...read the reviews...its the shizzle.

Here is a link to REI...lots of great options there. Read the reviews. http://www.rei.com/category/4500572

Another source for research and online gear is www.backcountry.com .

Good luck with your search. Let us know if you have any Qs.

mlaux

+1 for every brand of pack that has been mentioned here. The most important thing is to check each one out and see which gives you the best fit. All of those packs will offer each person a little different fit and if you ask ten people you will get ten different answers about which is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior