High Quality Shovel

njsjeep

Observer
I was looking for a good quality shovel to carry in the jeep. I found what seems to be a good shovel at my local Lowes for around $25. It is made in the US by Jackson Tools. I wasn't able to find it on the Lowes website or on the Ames/True temper/Jackson Tools website so I took a few pictures. The overall length is about 40" and the blade is about 8.5"x11" and it weighs about 2 pounds (using my feels about like that much scale). I am really impressed with the apparent ruggedness of this shovel. In this era of Chinese made junk this thing is built like a tank and with a little care should last forever.

Attachments

• shovel1.jpg
    shovel1.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 239
  • shovel2.jpg
    shovel2.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 231
  • shovel3.jpg
    shovel3.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 154

njsjeep

Observer
Quick update:
I was just at Lowes to get a few things and swung by the shovel display. It looks like Jackson Tool made an inline change to the shovel design. I got mine about a week or so ago and the ones I saw today did not have the one-piece step welded on to the top of the blade but instead just had two large wings where the top edge of the blade was folded down. All of the numbers on the shovel, model, sku etc looked the same. Either way it still is a quality tool.

when i saw the title for this post, that was the shovel i had in mine for suggesting. been meanign to pick one up every time i goes to lowes. next time i go one's comign home with me

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I assume the "Titanium" name is just a trademark, and not a description of the material? What is it that makes you recommend this shovel, is the blade a heavy guage?

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
How is the angle of the shovel blade to the handle? I've found the flatter, or less angle between the blade and the handle, the easier it is to manuever the shovel under a vehicle. Very hard to find a nearly straight shovel.

it si offset like a normal shovel, just a shorter handle. i liked the fiberglass handle. the wooden handled shovel i carry now has taken a beating from the weather and sun. i think the fiberglass would be a better option. it looks like the fiberglass handle is sleeved with steel were it enters the shovel part. pretty beefy looking set up.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I used to way back in the days carry a drain spade or ditch shovel ?

so I usually throw something that looks like this in my rig

thumbnail.asp

reasons I used to like them was the narrow blade is easy to dig with and its long blade with flat head angle makes it easy to get along side your rig and under your rig meaning the reach of the blade can get well over a tire width under and get junk out quickly
never used in sand ? never really been around sand to get stuck in but I think it would suck in sand ! cause the narrow width all the sand would fall off :)

I have not used a shovel in YEARs though since I have been out of getting stuck for a long time :) heheheheh

just curious if anyone else ever used this kind shovel ?

GCRad1

Adventurer
Jackson Titanium XTRA Shovel with Power Step

I bought one too! Thanks for the tip!
4746258412_88a2217afd.jpg

4746258576_0e82dae73a.jpg

I was doing some gardening this past weekend and needed a good excuse to pick up a shovel!

Just because I am a shovel - tool fan, I have these other related threads saved in my Subscriptions:
Expedition Shovels
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23410

Oldschool Shovel/Axe Mount
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14897

Axe and shovel mount
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23579

Expedition shovels - axes - bow saws - what kind?
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983

VanGo

Explorer
Fell prey to the Jackson Titanium XTRA Shovel with Power Step tonight at Lowes... as mentioned! Great shovel!

seanz0rz

Adventurer
i just picked one up as well. mine has the welded steps, not the bent and formed ones.

thanks for the heads up! been looking for a good shovel for 4 years! now i just have to build a mount for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94