Diesel powered cooktops/water heating

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Six months of almost daily use and our cook top has worked fantastically. It does heat up the camper a bit, but we have a roof hatch directly over the cook top, opening that helps a lot. We also have lots of windows for good ventilation. We have outside cooking facilities, and use them when the weather is good and we are camped up for some period of time, otherwise we just use the diesel powered one.

The Webasto diesel furnace has all bee been great, heats up the camper really quickly, although does draw around 10A for the first 30 minutes, then settles down to around 5A so bear that in mind. The lowest outside temperatures we had was only 4 Deg C, so hardly a test, but it was 25 Deg C inside.

City_Rider

Adventurer
Six months of almost daily use and our cook top has worked fantastically. It does heat up the camper a bit, but we have a roof hatch directly over the cook top, opening that helps a lot. We also have lots of windows for good ventilation. We have outside cooking facilities, and use them when the weather is good and we are camped up for some period of time, otherwise we just use the diesel powered one.

The Webasto diesel furnace has all bee been great, heats up the camper really quickly, although does draw around 10A for the first 30 minutes, then settles down to around 5A so bear that in mind. The lowest outside temperatures we had was only 4 Deg C, so hardly a test, but it was 25 Deg C inside.

Which model of diesel furnace have you installed? I am considering the Webasto EvoDual for my use...

I would like to mention that although problems filling propane cylinders are well known, when I was in Australia 2/3 of a 9kg cylinder lasted us 6 months of camping - so the 2 cylinders would last about 18 months, a long time to find a place to refill cylinders. Maybe on could start after running 1st cylinder empty, at 9 months.

Charlie

corrupt

Observer
Thats good going I get 4 months out of 9kg, I use it for cooking and hot water(23liters)
Those around us with gas fridges were getting 2 weeks.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have the Webasto 90ST, it one of the biggest ones, I got it as we are planning to go to the Norway in winter to see the northern lights, so need something that has plenty of capacity.

Which model of diesel furnace have you installed? I am considering the Webasto EvoDual for my use...

Regarding propane, or more corectly LPG over here. One 2 kg cylinder lasted us 3.5 months, still have a fair bit left. I have two smaller bottles as opposed to one big one, as then I can run them empty, rather than having to fill it when it is parlty full due to availablity. We got rid of our high capacity gas stove, and bought a cheaper, smaller one. It works better for us as we get better control, don't burn the food, and it uses half the amount of gas.

Last edited:

Steve1014

I've had my x100 for 2.5 years now (just out of warranty) and the PC board failed, $580 fix on a $2000 stove. Not to happy with the quality if it fails just out of warranty. Wish i had put a gas system in now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles